NGC 1055

This is an image of NGC 1055. It is an edge-on spiral galaxy about 53 million light years away in the constellation Cetus. It is a binary system together with the bright spiral galaxy M77 (NGC 1068). These two are the largest galaxies of a small galaxy group that also includes NGC 1073, and five other small irregular galaxies.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC1055.htm

Amazing dust-lane details!

MJ

On 12/20/2020 1:15 PM Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 1055. It is an edge-on spiral galaxy about 53 million light years away in the constellation Cetus. It is a binary system together with the bright spiral galaxy M77 (NGC 1068). These two are the largest galaxies of a small galaxy group that also includes NGC 1073, and five other small irregular galaxies.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC1055.htm

Hey Bernard:
That has to be one of the most detailed images of 1055 I can remember seeing...and I have looked at a lot of them since first seeing it on the cover of Christian Buil's book on CCD Astronmy.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi,