Topics

New Users Intro

William McLaughlin

Edited

Good Day. I just wanted to introduce some new users at DSNM. My imaging buddy Tom Carrico will be visiting in Mid November to set up our cooperative system. We both live in the Pacific NW where clouds are the norm in the winter so having a  NM system will be a big help. We both have decades of astroimaging under our belt, having started in the mid 90s (which means we are ancient as globular clusters). We will be combining some of our equipment (we both have home systems as well) so the system will be kinda basic and mostly short focal length, at least to start. We will be using a Paramount MX  with a Stellarvue SVQ 100 and STT-8300 as the base system. On top of that will be a QSI and 200 mm camera lens system we have put together.  Links to my image pages are below. Tom may wish to post links to his.

Take Care!

Bill McLaughlin

My JAlbum Page

My Astrobin Page

Gregg Ruppel

Welcome aboard!

On 10/29/2019 9:01 AM, William McLaughlin wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Good Day. I just wanted to introduce some new users at DSNM. My imaging buddy Tom Carrico will be visiting in Mid November to set up our cooperative system. We both live in the Pacific NW where clouds are the norm in the winter so NM will be a big help. We both have decades of astroimaging, having started in the mid 90's (means we are old too). We will be combining some of our equipment (we both have home systems as well) so the system will be kinda basic and mostly short focal length, at least to start. We will be using a Paramount MX  with a Stellarvue SVQ 100 and STT-8300. On top of that will be a QSI and 200 mm camera lens system we have put together.  Links to my image pages are below. Tom may wish to post links to his.

Take Care!

Bill McLaughlin

My JAlbum Page

My Astrobin Page

Dan Crowson

Welcome aboard. Several people from my local club have (I think) three piers in the same building you guys are moving into. They hope to be up and running soon as well.

[...]

Brian Ottum

Bill,

Welcome.  Please tell Tom that I will be on-site at DSNM Nov 10-16 and happy to help him out if needed.

Brian

Good Day. I just wanted to introduce some new users at DSNM. My imaging buddy Tom Carrico will be visiting in Mid November to set up our cooperative system. We both live in the Pacific NW where clouds are the norm in the winter so NM will be a big help. We both have decades on astroimaging experience, having started in the mid 90's (means we are old too). We will be combining some of our equipment (we both have home systems as well) so the system will be kinda basic and mostly short focal length, at least to start. We will be use a Paramount MX  with a Stellarvue SVQ 100 and STT-8300. On top of that will be a QSI and 200 mm camera lens system we have put together.  Links to my image pages are below. Tom may wish to post links to his.

Take Care!

Bill McLaughlin

My JAlbum Page

My Astrobin Page

Mark Hanson

Welcome Bill and Tom!

Mark

On Oct 29, 2019, at 11:08 AM, William McLaughlin <IC5070@...> wrote:

[...]

Bernard Miller

Welcome aboard Bill and Tom.

Bernard

[...]

Howard Anderson

Welcome Bill and Tom!

I grew up mostly in Eugene, Oregon.

When I was 4, I got to see the Giacobinid (Draconid) Meteor Shower of 1946.
I remember it vividly...
"The Draconid meteor shower produced awesome meteor
displays in 1933 and 1946, with thousands of meteors per
hour seen in those years."
My father had me chasing around the yard trying to catch one.  My recollection
is that there were at  least 2 or 3 every second.  Most of the country was
occluded that October when the meteor storm occurred.  Strangely,
Eugene, Oregon that night was cloudless (unusual for October.)

I mention that because I understand how difficult astronomy is
in the Northwest...

And because I wonder if my lifelong interest
in astronomy was triggered by that meteor storm.  :-)

Again, welcome to Astronomy paradise...  :-)

Thanks,
Howard

On 10/29/2019 09:01, William McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Been to Eugene many times, I used to live on the Coast (North Bend) when working but move to Central Oregon when I retired.

Much drier and better skies here, the coast was astronomers hell. Rain in the winter and fog at night in the summer.