Topics

May ASEM Digital SIG Meeting - This Tuesday - Updated

Dan Crowson

I’m sending this to the DarkSkyNewMexico group because one of the members in the shared pier building will be doing an advanced presentation on PixInsight. We’ll start with a presentation on some of our new local outreach efforts and then Rick Steiling will move on to PixInsight. See the information and details below.

The May Astronomical Society of Eastern Missouri Digital SIG (Imaging) Meeting will be held using Zoom on May 19th, 2020 from 7 PM CDT until ? I’ve scheduled the Zoom to start at 6:30 PM CDT so people can join early.

Steve Boerner will start the meeting with a talk about club outreach efforts using EAA (electronically assisted astronomy):

In light of CoVID-19 our outreach efforts will need to be modified.   Steve Boerner will start the meeting with a presentation on ASEM Outreach and EAA.  EAA is electronically assisted astronomy and makes use of video observing rather than using an eyepiece.  Steve will discuss ways our current model for Outreach at FNOHs needs to change, the hardware and software needed for the change, and ideas/plans to make that happen.  If you wish to get an idea of what the presentation covers see https://tinyurl.com/ASEM-outreach prior to the meeting.

Former ASEM member Stephen Hummel now does live Internet based outreach from the McDonald Observatory in Texas.  Stephen's presentations show many examples of "best practices."  It would be helpful if you would view the following 6 1/2 minute segment from one of Stephen's presentations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWewbLYQ-E   from 18:00 to 24:30

Rick Steiling will spend a good hour or more talking about PixInsight processing while going over his first light New Mexico image of M82. Rick's presentation will be fairly advanced and include the following:

•    Alternate ways to make and perfect masks: AtrousWaveletTransform, the MaskGen script, and CloneStamp

•    Using MultiscaleMedianTransformation to control background noise on hard stretches.

•    Using HDRMultiscaleTransform to bring detail to images with wide dynamic range.

•    Using LocalHistogramEqualization to highlight galactic detail

Feel free to forward this to other people but please do not post it on a public forum or website.

I hope to see you virtually there.

Dan Crowson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: May ASEM Digital SIG Meeting

Time: May 19, 2020 06:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89182310188?pwd=VWFwcjlCcCtYQXhFWVYzYVY2b1N6QT09

Meeting ID: 891 8231 0188

Password: 384411

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,89182310188#,,1#,384411# US (New York)

+13017158592,,89182310188#,,1#,384411# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 891 8231 0188

Password: 384411

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcQhsMlgz5

Dan,

I’ve been doing EAA sessions with my DSNM rig.  That Steven Hummel video is excellent.  I was most impressed with how simple the Live Stacking window was.  SharpCap is CRAP when it comes to simplicity.  How can I find out what live stacking software Steven was using there at McDonald Observatory?

Perhaps the new TSX?

Prolly not the old DSS.

Brian