M90 (Arp 76) and M89

Gregg Ruppel

Hi all

M90 and M89 are two large galaxies in Virgo.  M90, along with IC3583, make up Arp 76, a "spiral with small high surface brightness companion on arm".   Although these two are only about 100,000 LY apart, it is unclear whether they are truly interacting.  M90 is blue-shifted, approaching us while IC3583 is red-shifted, moving away.  M89 is a large, spherical elliptical that sports outer envelopes of dust and gas and a long tidal tail, suggesting some past interaction. An estimated 2000 globulars surround M89.

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/m90_89-LRGB.jpg

M90 (Arp 76), 1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/m90-Arp-76-LRGBcrop.jpg

M89, 1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/m89-LRGBcrop.jpg

Annotated version:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/m90_89_LRGB_Annotated.jpg

LRGB, 10 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico

Fascinating about the red vs. blue shift. I had thought everything was various levels of red shift.

[...]

Hi Brian

There are a few "blue shifted" galaxies, most of them being in the Local Group.  M90 is one of the exceptions.  It is about 60 million LY distant which is about the threshold where galaxies can be blue shifted; anything farther away is negated by the expansion of the universe.

On 3/18/2021 11:06 AM, Brian Ottum wrote:
[...]

Really well done. I love the color and detail in M90.