Topics

M104 - The Sombrero Galaxy

This is an image of M104, also known as the Sombrero Galaxy. It is a lenticular galaxy about 31 million light years away in the constellation Virgo. It is about 50,000 light years in diameter, making it about 30% the size of the Milky Way. The unusually large central bulge and prominent dust lanes make it resemble a sombrero hat from which it gets its name.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://azstarman.net/CDK/M104.htm

Hi Bernard
You captured a lot of detail in the galaxy's disc which doesn't show up in most images.  Thanks for sharing.

On 5/3/2020 3:47 PM, Bernard Miller wrote

Hi,

This is an image of M104, also known as the Sombrero Galaxy. It is a lenticular galaxy about 31 million light years away in the constellation Virgo. It is about 50,000 light years in diameter, making it about 30% the size of the Milky Way. The unusually large central bulge and prominent dust lanes make it resemble a sombrero hat from which it gets its name.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://azstarman.net/CDK/M104.htm

I am glad you noticed. I did that on purpose because I was surprised to find so much detail in the disc.

Bernard

You captured a lot of detail in the galaxy's disc which doesn't show up in most images.  Thanks for sharing.

On 5/3/2020 3:47 PM, Bernard Miller wrote

Hi,

This is an image of M104, also known as the Sombrero Galaxy. It is a lenticular galaxy about 31 million light years away in the constellation Virgo. It is about 50,000 light years in diameter, making it about 30% the size of the Milky Way. The unusually large central bulge and prominent dust lanes make it resemble a sombrero hat from which it gets its name.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://azstarman.net/CDK/M104.htm

Much detail, indeed!