From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of Madhup Rathi
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 10:15 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Internet Down

Hello all

Is internet down for anyone else? My router is not getting connected.

Howard - my ip address is http://206.128.69.5:4701/. Are you able to ping it?

Madhup

Madhup Rathi

Thanks, Dan.

On Jul 7, 2020, at 11:18 PM, Dan Crowson <dcrowson@crowson.com> wrote:

Madhup,

Things are up on that internet link so the issue is in your dome or the line going to it.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

Is internet down for anyone else? My router is not getting connected.

Howard - my ip address is http://206.128.69.5:4701/. Are you able to ping it?

Madhup

Bernard Miller

I am able to connect.

Bernard

On Jul 7, 2020, at 8:21 PM, Dan Crowson <dcrowson@crowson.com> wrote:

Madhup,

Things are up on that internet link so the issue is in your dome or the line going to it.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

Is internet down for anyone else? My router is not getting connected.

Howard - my ip address is http://206.128.69.5:4701/. Are you able to ping it?

Madhup

Howard Anderson

Hi All,

Returned yesterday from DSNM.

When I arrived there Wednesday, Michael immediately
asked if I could debug Madhup's system.

After much effort, I finally determined that the Ethernet
line from the Network Switch  in the Celestron building to
Madhup's dome seemed to be broken underground.

(BTW I bought the current Network Switch years ago when
Gene could not afford to replace the original which was
damaged by lightning.)

As part of the debug process, I replaced the shoddily done
Ethernet end connectors both at the Network Switch and
at the router in Madhup's building.  Still no connection
indicating the increased probability of an underground break...

(I assume the shoddily-done connectors were the work of
Ben from long ago although these had the correct wire-order.
Some of the ones he did violated the wire-order standard.
Important to get wire-order right to eliminate cross-talk
possibility. )  Should be like this:
Paths Fiber Optics Cat5e Cat6
        Plenum Rated Cable Lock Assembly ...

Underground break should have been impossible but it had
apparently somehow occurred?  At least all the evidence
seemed to indicate that.    I then created my own 300 Meter
cable and ran it from the Network Switch to Madhup's
router.  Worked.  Then Michael told me about an Ethernet line
lying on the ground behind the Celestron building that could be
used.  I ran that out to Madhup's router and I believe
he was restored to service.

I use AT&T phone service which has miserable service at DSNM so I
couldn't talk with Madhup.  But Michael apparently talked with him
and relayed to me that the problem was fixed.

100 degree weather made this a challenge.  But I am happy to
have helped...  LOTS of walking back and forth in the sun...

I am home now.  Amazingly, I also managed to accomplish
what I intended to do in my observatory in spite of the heat.  :-)
Lots of USB puzzles like: "Not enough USB resources" message!
USB 3.0 has lots of limitations I was unaware of.  Finally ran
one USB 3.0 line to the one device that required a USB 3.0
connection.  Eliminated really cute USB 3.0 hub I had wanted
to use.  Finally used all USB 2.0 hubs and lines to everything else.

If you have USB problems, before suspecting your USB hub,
you should run DevManView.  It has often shown me that
two or three duplicate assignments have occurred, e.g.,
two COM4 USB-serial ports for example.  Neither one
works when that happens!

The USB software within the Windows operating
systems is abysmal in my opinion.

Took me four hours to get things right Thursday...
Involves uninstalling and reinstalling devices, reassigning
port assignments, registry editing to clear the "used" ports,
rebooting, etc...  Rebooting does not clear the duplicate
COM port assignment problems by the way...

Thanks,

Howard

On 7/7/2020 20:15, Madhup Rathi wrote:
[...]

Omited picture here...  Maybe this mail system doesn't
like images???

[...]

Thank you Howard for doing all this and fixing this problem. Like you said, Gene had left it a mess. I am even surprised that it worked for that long. Thanks a LOT to get this fixed. Really appreciate it.

Madhup

[...]

Dan Crowson

Howard,

Thanks for the help down there. It doesn’t surprise me that the cable in the ground broke. I know Gene just used normal, cheap as you could get it cat5 when he ran those. I shook my head being a network guy when I see it coming directly out of the ground for ours and the jacket was already deteriorated after being in the ground for a few months. I suspect the ground hardening from the heat eventually did it in.

USB is just evil, especially for the things we do. Being that it sounded like you have COM ports connected to USB (the main issue with getting things to work, it seems), one fix is to have Windows show hidden devices. Just google it the next time. It usually just requires setting an environmental variable and then looking in device manager. One ‘on’ you can see all the ports assigned and delete the ones you don’t need.

I don’t know if you still use VMware or another hypervisor but those can be a challenge as well especially if you have to assign them to pipe or ip.

Lastly, if you ever run into a switch issue, catch me because I keep an extra switch down there just in case. It seems like most people are on fiber now but I guess Madhup isn’t.

[...]

Hi Madhup,

Actually I didn't say anything about Gene.  It was Ben
that did the Ethernet wiring.

Thanks,

Howard

On 7/11/2020 15:25, Madhup Rathi wrote:
[...]

And everything was rewired by Michael and company.
The break, if there is one, is inside the new conduit they
put in place a few months ago...

I am not absolutely positive about a line break but I don't
see what else might explain what I observed...

Thanks,

Howard