Topics

IC 5146 - The Cocoon Nebula

This is an image of IC 5146, also known as the Cocoon Nebula and SH2-125. It is an emission/reflection nebula about 4,000 light years away in the constellation Cygnus. The bright star near the center of this nebula is likely only a few thousand years old. I included a close crop image and a wider view image. I am not sure which is “better” but thought both were interesting so I posted both.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146_CROP.htm

Bernard,

This is fantastic.

This makes me want to buy Jimmy Walker’s PME II and PW 17” CDK. Wife probably has other ideas.

This is an image of IC 5146, also known as the Cocoon Nebula and SH2-125. It is an emission/reflection nebula about 4,000 light years away in the constellation Cygnus. The bright star near the center of this nebula is likely only a few thousand years old. I included a close crop image and a wider view image. I am not sure which is “better” but thought both were interesting so I posted both.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146_CROP.htm

That’s more detail than I’ve ever seen in the Cocoon, Bernard.

This is an image of IC 5146, also known as the Cocoon Nebula and SH2-125. It is an emission/reflection nebula about 4,000 light years away in the constellation Cygnus. The bright star near the center of this nebula is likely only a few thousand years old. I included a close crop image and a wider view image. I am not sure which is “better” but thought both were interesting so I posted both.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC5146_CROP.htm

Image removed by sender. Avast logo

I like the way you captured the fainter surrounding nebulosity.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi,