IC 434 - The Horsehead Nebula

Okay. This one never gets old. This is three different images of IC 434, also known as the Horsehead Nebula. IT is a nebula complex consisting of emission (the red), reflection (the blue) and dark (the horsehead) nebulae about 1,500 light years away in the constellation Orion. It is located next to Alnitak, which is the leftmost star in Orion’s belt. It is a very bright star just off the left of the field of view and it caused a lot of problems during processing. I posted three different crops of this object because it is one of my favorites and has a lot going on. Each crop highlights a different aspect of the nebula. I hope you enjoy.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP1.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP2.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/index.html

Excellent as usual.  I really like the way you pulled out the blue, not just in the reflection neb, but in the HH and the background.  Thanks for sharing.

On 12/22/2020 5:49 PM, Bernard Miller wrote:

Hi,

Okay. This one never gets old. This is three different images of IC 434, also known as the Horsehead Nebula. IT is a nebula complex consisting of emission (the red), reflection (the blue) and dark (the horsehead) nebulae about 1,500 light years away in the constellation Orion. It is located next to Alnitak, which is the leftmost star in Orion’s belt. It is a very bright star just off the left of the field of view and it caused a lot of problems during processing. I posted three different crops of this object because it is one of my favorites and has a lot going on. Each crop highlights a different aspect of the nebula. I hope you enjoy.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP1.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP2.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/index.html

Great job, Bernard!  It takes a lot of work, attention to detail, and skill to deal with Alnitak and to reveal so many intricacies in the Horsehead.  Thanks indeed!

MJ Post

On 12/22/2020 5:49 PM Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

Okay. This one never gets old. This is three different images of IC 434, also known as the Horsehead Nebula. IT is a nebula complex consisting of emission (the red), reflection (the blue) and dark (the horsehead) nebulae about 1,500 light years away in the constellation Orion. It is located next to Alnitak, which is the leftmost star in Orion’s belt. It is a very bright star just off the left of the field of view and it caused a lot of problems during processing. I posted three different crops of this object because it is one of my favorites and has a lot going on. Each crop highlights a different aspect of the nebula. I hope you enjoy.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP1.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/IC434_CROP2.htm

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/index.html

Chen Wu

This looks very nice. Good job, Benard! Perhaps the best horsehead this year!

CS,
Chen

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 11:53 AM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@...> wrote:
Bernard
[...]

Yours Truly,
Chen

Brian Ottum

Bernard,

I can see the MINI-ME Horsehead in the blue reflection nebula!

Brian

[...]

This is fantastic. It is heavily sharpened (or appears so) but the data is more than good enough for it. The colors look really good as well.