Flats panel

Rick Darden

Hi All,

I'm on pier 6 in the 1 meter building and I need a better flats panel for my AGO 12.5.

I notice in the building there are 2 setups with scope at least the size of mine that have flats panels that would work for me.

One is an AGO on a 10 micron and the other is a Planewave on a 10 micron.

If you guys are on here, can you tell me about your flats panels. Are they DIY or pre-fab'd? 12v? Ascom compatible? Can you control the intensity?

Thanks guys,

Rick Darden

Dan Crowson

Rick,

I have a 12” RC (Astro-Tech AT12RCT). Andy Galasso who was in our building also had the same AGO 12.5 scope as you. Both of us use the Spike-A-Flat large panel. They have an add-on USB controller that allows for changing the intensity. I use the stand-alone app and have presets so that all my flats are about the same length of exposure. For example, intensity 10 for 1x1 luminance but 900 for 1x1 Ha. Andy did write an Alnitak emulator and ASCOM driver so they will work with SGP and other programs.

http://www.spike-a.com/flatfielders/

Not the cheapest or most expensive but they work well.

I'm on pier 6 in the 1 meter building and I need a better flats panel for my AGO 12.5.

I notice in the building there are 2 setups with scope at least the size of mine that have flats panels that would work for me.

One is an AGO on a 10 micron and the other is a Planewave on a 10 micron.

If you guys are on here, can you tell me about your flats panels. Are they DIY or pre-fab'd? 12v? Ascom compatible? Can you control the intensity?

Thanks guys,

Rick Darden

Rick Darden

Hi Dan,

I'll check out the spike-a-flat. Looks like that's the ticket.

Thanks for the info.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

This is a link to Andy’s software if you want to check it out - https://adgsoftware.com/alnitak_emu/.

[...]

William McLaughlin <IC5070@...>

Edited

I use the Aurora from Gerd Neumann at home. Not adjustable but he has ND add on filters.

https://www.gerdneumann.net/english/astrofotografie-parts-astrophotography/aurora-flatfield-panels/uebersicht-aurora-flatfield-panels-overview.html

EL Panel so very flat.

Yizhou Zhang

Hi Rick,

If you are looking for the solution for flats but not necessarily as a cover, I think the software called Voyager is worth checking into. It’s an automation solution package and one feature is to automate the skyflat acquisition during damn/dusk. It auto slews, auto calculate/adjust the exposure duration, and auto dither. I’ve been using this for almost a year. No need an external device makes it easy.

It does more than flat management of course.

Yizhou

I'm on pier 6 in the 1 meter building and I need a better flats panel for my AGO 12.5.

I notice in the building there are 2 setups with scope at least the size of mine that have flats panels that would work for me.

One is an AGO on a 10 micron and the other is a Planewave on a 10 micron.

If you guys are on here, can you tell me about your flats panels. Are they DIY or pre-fab'd? 12v? Ascom compatible? Can you control the intensity?

Thanks guys,

Rick Darden

Rick Darden

Hey you guys with the Spika-A Flat, I am having one shipped to the obs to replace an Alnitak Flat Man Large that is mounted on a TV wall arm and I wanted to know how this thing is mounted to a surface. I can mount a piece of plywood the same size as the panel to the TV wall arm but what is used to attach the panle to the plywood? Are there clips, machine screws? What is on the back of the panel I guess it what I am asking. Thanks much. Rick Darden.

Dan Crowson

Rick,

I haven’t looked at mine in ages but I think it is just something like a standard picture frame. I ended up mounting mine on a wall using the scrap wood. I put a board below and above it and then another on top of these to make a ‘lip’ to keep it in place.

If you haven’t already seen it, past observatory partner Andy Galasso wrote an ASCOM Alnitak emulation driver for these so you can use the same commands.