From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 8:44 PM
To: darkskynewmexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] First Light - M33

After many months of Covid and other problems with Software Bisqand with Al Acker's help, I finally got one telescope working in Building 2, where I'm partnering with Tally O'Donnell.  It is a PlaneWave CDK14 on a ME II mount, sitting side-by-side with an Officina RH 350 AT that still has alignment issues.  Here's one of my first images out of DSNM - LRGB using six 600-sec unguided subs for each filter and binning 2x2 on a ZWO ASI 6200M camera

MJ Post

After many months of Covid and other problems with Software Bisque, and with Al Acker's help, I finally got one telescope working in Building 2, where I'm partnering with Tally O'Donnell.  It is a PlaneWave CDK14 on an ME II mount, sitting side-by-side with an Officina RH 350 AT that still has alignment issues.  Here's one of my first images with the PW - LRGB using six 600-sec unguided subs for each filter and binning 2x2 on a ZWO ASI 6200M camera.  The scope still needs collimation tweaks, but I'm taking data anyway and hope to post more soon.  Seeing and SQM reading are so much better at DSNM than where I live (near Boulder, CO), that I can't help but be excited for imaging endeavors with all of you in New Mexico.

M.J. Post

P.S.  Sorry about sending the first incomplete email - fat fingers!

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Looks great.

Happy with the 6200M?

[...]

Dan - Yes, it is a great camera.  High bit depth, large full-well, low noise, small pixels.  Only problem is large file sizes (120 MB).  I've ordered the color version to try on the CDK14 - even with OSC operation I will not be under sampling (1x1 binning).

MJ

On 12/08/2020 8:08 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

MJ,

Looks great.

Happy with the 6200M?

[...]

Yes… filesizes… And I’ve heard they can be hard to get square with such a large chip. I’m not going to even mention the cost of filters (Chroma’s went up something like 70% or more overnight).

I’m assuming the CMOS camera doesn’t do on chip binning. I think these all do it in the driver. Are you doing it there or in processing after the fact? I’m guessing the drive would allow for creating smaller files right away versus loading each 120MB into a stacking program.

I’m debating on a 6200 or the 2600 when the mono is available.

[...]

Dan - I bin before downloading, so my binned files are 30 MB in size - much better!  With CMOS  binning you get noise from two read cycles vs. just one cycle with CCDs.  But read noise is so low on the CMOS chips that it doesn't matter. At DSNM sky noise is the dominant noise source on CMOS images, not read noise or dark noise.

MJ

[...]

Michael Gratiot

The Astro Imaging Channel just had a presentation with an individual who is using the ASI6200 and he talked about binning 2x2 to reduce the file size.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 9:26 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael - Yes, it's wise to do that unless it cause you to under sample.  My PlaneWave scope has a focal length of 2563 mm, so the 3.76 micron pixels on the 6200 each subtend 0.3 arc sec.  I figure typical seeing at DSNM is 1.5 - 2.5 arc sec.  By binning 2x2 I reduce my resolution to 0.6 arc sec.  That's good sampling for 1.8 arc sec seeing or greater (min 3 samples per object point spread function).

MJ

On 12/08/2020 8:42 PM Michael Gratiot <mikethetechgeek@...> wrote:

[...]

Chen Wu

Congrats, MJ!
M33 is one of my favorites and your pictures turned out great, considering it's just from 6*4 subs. Welcome to the site, though we are just a few weeks earlier.

@Dan,
2600 seems to have the same pixel size. Is the concern more for the fov and the file size?

Chen

--

Yours Truly,
Chen

Michael Gratiot

Chen,

  They both have the same pixel size, but the 2600 is a 26MP versus the 6200 is a 62MP camera (hence the 26 and 62 in the model numbers, yes I just noticed that).  The file size on the 2600 is going to be around 50MB while the 6200 is around 120MB per image.  So teh 2600 helps with file size; however, it is a smaller FOV (same per pixel resolution).  Here is an example of the FOV, using my ED80mm telescope.

image.png

Thanks,
Michael

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:16 AM Chen Wu <chenwu2004@...> wrote:
[...]

Mainly the requirements around the 6200 – big filters, big focuser, etc. I also like my current (STF-8300M) field of view so it would be similar with ~20 years of technology improvements.

[...]

Thanks Mike. Our remote setup supports a fullframe image circle and so we installed the 6200mm. At home I have a scope with smaller circle and I planned to use a 2600mc. As an osc, it probably wouldn't be too efficient from backyard. So the upcoming mono version looks much more promising.
Both 2600mc and 6200mm darks are very clean. stddev from the master dark is fairly small, at gain 0 as well as at the unit gain.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 9:40 AM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

[...]

Bernard Miller

MJ,

Nice first image. Welcome to DSNM.