From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gregg Ruppel
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 11:55 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] c2020 F3 NEOWISE Sunday morning

Hi all:

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

I tried to observe it after sunset Saturday evening, but there was a monsoon storm rolling in from the east with lots of lightning and I was out in the middle of a soccer field with a tripod.  Low hanging clouds in the northwest would have probably obscured it anyway, so I packed up before I got drenched.  Will try again tonight...

On 7/12/2020 10:18 AM, Dan Crowson wrote:
Great catch, Gregg. As of tonight, I guess we can try at night and in the morning.

----
Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

Another beautiful shot. I wish I could get up at 3:00 am for this one but I will try at sunset with my binoculars.

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

Yeah...the comet is progressively moving into evening visibility. The bad news is that it seems to be dimming as it recedes from the sun. It should still be a worthwhile target as it gets higher in the evening sky.

On Jul 12, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@cox.net> wrote:

Gregg,

Another beautiful shot. I wish I could get up at 3:00 am for this one but I will try at sunset with my binoculars.

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

Do you know when it will be visible in the evening? It does not look like it will tonight.

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

Bernard,

It is visible in the evening now but very low. It has been in twilight in the morning. Another week or so and it will be visible during astronomical darkness.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

Do you know when it will be visible in the evening? It does not look like it will tonight.

After a monsoon storm rolled through, the skies cleared early this morning. I was able to catch F3 NEOWISE around 4 am but it was only about 4-5 degrees above the local horizon:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2020-F3-NEOWISE_071220b.jpg

The comet was much fainter, not visible to my old unaided eyes.
Canon 50D, ISO 3200, 1 sec, FSQ106, f/5, stack of 12 exposures

William McLaughlin

Looks nice! I will have to try now that it is in the evening. My eastern horizon is about 15 degrees but we are good in the west.

William McLaughlin

Imaged it last night quickly in the NW. In Oregon it was higher than I expected. Will use a mini tracker tonite for longer exposures. Can't see it from the observatory so has to be portable...