Great job!   I recognize the difficulty of good comet processing.

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@... [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@...]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 4:19 PM
To: Eureka Observers Club ; St. LouisAstronomy ; ASEMDigitalSIG@...; DSNM ; Paul Mortfield Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] c2017 O1 ASASSN

Hi all:

Comet 2017 O1 (ASASSN) has brightened a bit in the last few weeks, but
not quite as much as some of the press I have seen suggest:

<http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2017-O1_091817.jpg>

LRGB 10:10:10:10 (binned 2x2), acquired from Animas, NM

Visit my astrophotography site:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/

---

Nice catch Greg. Do you know why comets are always green?

Bernard

Comet 2017 O1 (ASASSN) has brightened a bit in the last few weeks, but
not quite as much as some of the press I have seen suggest:

<http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2017-O1_091817.jpg>

LRGB 10:10:10:10 (binned 2x2), acquired from Animas, NM

Visit my astrophotography site:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/

---

Cyanogen (CN)2 and diatomic carbon C2 fluoresce green when UV light from the sun strikes them.

On Sep 18, 2017, at 5:00 PM, 'Bernard Miller' bgmiller011@... [DarkSkyNewMexico] <DarkSkyNewMexico@...> wrote:

Nice catch Greg. Do you know why comets are always green?

Bernard

Comet 2017 O1 (ASASSN) has brightened a bit in the last few weeks, but
not quite as much as some of the press I have seen suggest:

<http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2017-O1_091817.jpg>

LRGB 10:10:10:10 (binned 2x2), acquired from Animas, NM

Visit my astrophotography site:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/

---

Howard Anderson

Great comet shot!

Green comets:  Due to cyanogen and diatomic carbon according to:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/09/actually-if-youre-a-comet-it-is-easy-being-green/#.WcBp5WhryCg

I didn't know that before reading the above...

I built a carbon arc and spectroscope when I was 12.  Used
chemicals from my full-blown Gilbert chemistry set to see emission
lines of all sorts of chemicals...  Great fun!

Thanks,

Howard

'Bernard Miller' bgmiller011@... [DarkSkyNewMexico] wrote:

Nice catch Greg. Do you know why comets are always green?

Bernard

Comet 2017 O1 (ASASSN) has brightened a bit in the last few weeks, but
not quite as much as some of the press I have seen suggest:

<http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2017-O1_091817.jpg>

LRGB 10:10:10:10 (binned 2x2), acquired from Animas, NM

Visit my astrophotography site:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/

---

Greg,

Cool. I am glad I asked. Now I can impress my friends if they ever ask 😊

Bernard