Advice Needed for Video Conversion

Brian Ottum

I’ve got some cool video showing closeups while panning across the moon.  But they are AVI’s and 2,000Mb apiece.   Downloading via TeamViewer and AnyDesk has failed because they are too monstrous.   So I tried and failed to convert them from AVI to MP4.  My old Win7 machine has Photoshop CS5 so I tried rendering ten times with various settings but it always changes the 960x640px size to 1280x720 (wrong aspect ratio).   Cannot upgrade PS on that machine.

So I tried VLC Media Player to do a simple conversion from AVI to MP4.  But it stops after just one frame.  I downloaded freeware for just converting and it just hung there while trying to convert.

Any advice on how to get these videos home?

If you want to keep videos, ffmpeg can convert for you if you want to deal with the command line.

https://ffmpeg.org/

I think the command is ffmpeg –i infile.avi outfile.mp4

If you’re just looking for the picture, I’d recommend just running them through ASI2/Astrosurface/etc on the PC there and then transferring the single (or multiple if you do multiple % stacks) images…

I’ve got some cool video showing closeups while panning across the moon.  But they are AVI’s and 2,000Mb apiece.   Downloading via TeamViewer and AnyDesk has failed because they are too monstrous.   So I tried and failed to convert them from AVI to MP4.  My old Win7 machine has Photoshop CS5 so I tried rendering ten times with various settings but it always changes the 960x640px size to 1280x720 (wrong aspect ratio).   Cannot upgrade PS on that machine.

So I tried VLC Media Player to do a simple conversion from AVI to MP4.  But it stops after just one frame.  I downloaded freeware for just converting and it just hung there while trying to convert.

Any advice on how to get these videos home?

Dan,

I will try ffmpeg.org.   But it seems similar to the freeware I already downloaded that just hung there.

Thanks.

Brian

I’ve got some cool video showing closeups while panning across the moon.  But they are AVI’s and 2,000Mb apiece.   Downloading via TeamViewer and AnyDesk has failed because they are too monstrous.   So I tried and failed to convert them from AVI to MP4.  My old Win7 machine has Photoshop CS5 so I tried rendering ten times with various settings but it always changes the 960x640px size to 1280x720 (wrong aspect ratio).   Cannot upgrade PS on that machine.

So I tried VLC Media Player to do a simple conversion from AVI to MP4.  But it stops after just one frame.  I downloaded freeware for just converting and it just hung there while trying to convert.

Any advice on how to get these videos home?

Brian,

That is odd. Ffmpeg is used by millions of people and is the basis of a lot of products.

[...]

This software makes me feel dumb.  I cannot even get it to install.  Call me if you have a minute.

Brian

(734) 260-0597

[...]

Should just be an exe without any kind of install. Here’s what I have. Just unzip it and open a command and run:

Ffmpeg –i <inputfile.avi> outfile.mp4

https://www.crowson.com/Downloads/ffmpeg.zip