Abell 347

Gregg Ruppel

Hi everyone:

Abell 347 is a large galaxy cluster estimated to be about 240 million light-years distant:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/abell347-LRGB.jpg

NGC 891 is a popular imaging target that happens to lie along our line-of-sight to Abell 347, but is not part of that cluster (only about 30 MLY away):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc891-LRGBcrop.jpg

Here is an annotated view of the central portion of the galaxy cluster:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/abell347_LRGBcrop_Annotated.jpg

As an extra added bonus, Arp 145 (PGC 9062 & 9060) is located in the lower right quadrant.  The "donut" shape was cataloged by Arp as material emanating from an elliptical galaxy:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/Arp145-LRGBcrop.jpg

LRGB, 5.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico

I like the natural coloring of NGC891. The blue stars prove to me that the galaxy is indeed brownish. I was never sure.