A1 Leonard, The Whale and the Hockey Stick

There were a some small holes in the cloud cover this morning that allowed me to grab a few minutes worth of data for Comet c2021 A1 Leonard as it passed between NGC 4631 and NGC 4656:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4656_4631_A1-LRGB_112421.jpg

This is a composite; LRGB 8 hours for the background galaxies and 27 minutes for the comet.  Imaged from Dark Sky New Mexico.

Great job, Gregg! Your persistence paid off!

There were a some small holes in the cloud cover this morning that allowed me to grab a few minutes worth of data for Comet c2021 A1 Leonard as it passed between NGC 4631 and NGC 4656:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4656_4631_A1-LRGB_112421.jpg

This is a composite; LRGB 8 hours for the background galaxies and 27 minutes for the comet. Imaged from Dark Sky New Mexico.

Breath-taking, Gregg! Glad you were able to sneak peak through the clouds and catch the comet for this passage. thanks for sharing!

MJ

On 11/24/2021 7:47 AM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all:

There were a some small holes in the cloud cover this morning that
allowed me to grab a few minutes worth of data for Comet c2021 A1
Leonard as it passed between NGC 4631 and NGC 4656:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4656_4631_A1-LRGB_112421.jpg

This is a composite; LRGB 8 hours for the background galaxies and 27
minutes for the comet.  Imaged from Dark Sky New Mexico.

What a fantastic shot. Definitely send this to APOD. They love this kind of thing and this is one of the best I have seen of a comet near another object.

There were a some small holes in the cloud cover this morning that allowed me to grab a few minutes worth of data for Comet c2021 A1 Leonard as it passed between NGC 4631 and NGC 4656:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4656_4631_A1-LRGB_112421.jpg

This is a composite; LRGB 8 hours for the background galaxies and 27 minutes for the comet. Imaged from Dark Sky New Mexico.

Mark Striebeck

That is awesome! Can't believe your timing - perfect!!!

Gregg,