Paramount ME help

I need to polar align my Paramount ME tomorrow when I am at DSNM. The T-Point polar alignment tells me I have to rotate west 6.4 clicks. I have an older ME mount that does not have “clicks”. Does anyone have any idea how far this is on the older mounts? Also, after I adjust the polar alignment, do I have to run T-Point again? If so, how many points is enough to get good polar alignment data?

http://www.azstarman.net

Yizhou Zhang

Bernard,

You can do an “Accurate Polar Alignment” routine inside TPoint Add-on, which asks you to slew to a suitable star; the mount will offset based on your PA error, and you just need to loop the exposure and manually bring the star back to the center using Alt/Az knobs. No tick involved. A video here is a good instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71GI7EO3IxM

After APA the SkyX assume you bring the stars back perfectly to the center, and update the model accordingly. You don’t have to re-build the model, but I typically do that anyway… You can add a few “re-calibration” point, I think 30-50 stars are good for that already.

All from memory, haven’t operate on a Paramount for long time 😊

Yizhou

I need to polar align my Paramount ME tomorrow when I am at DSNM. The T-Point polar alignment tells me I have to rotate west 6.4 clicks. I have an older ME mount that does not have “clicks”. Does anyone have any idea how far this is on the older mounts? Also, after I adjust the polar alignment, do I have to run T-Point again? If so, how many points is enough to get good polar alignment data?

http://www.azstarman.net

Bernard,

My method, which probably isn’t standard, is to just move it – I think the manual will say tics = x amount of turn. At that point, I wipe the model and run a short one – again, I think the manual might mention how many but I would think 30-40 would be enough and check again. I would repeat until close enough and then just run a big model. You probably won’t touch it again for years and I suspect you could run a massive one (I can do 700 points in a couple hours even using the all-sky solve).

My method is with the MKS5000. I doubt there’s a lot of difference if yours has the MKS4000. I just find it doesn’t make a lot of sense to try to fit existing models when we’re talking a few hours of images on a bad night.

I need to polar align my Paramount ME tomorrow when I am at DSNM. The T-Point polar alignment tells me I have to rotate west 6.4 clicks. I have an older ME mount that does not have “clicks”. Does anyone have any idea how far this is on the older mounts? Also, after I adjust the polar alignment, do I have to run T-Point again? If so, how many points is enough to get good polar alignment data?

http://www.azstarman.net

Mark Striebeck

+1 to what others said. I use the "ticks" only as a hint how far to move, but do the alignment ultimately with the "center a star" function.

The final alignment I do with the Ha filter - which makes the alignment start nice and small. And then zoom into the image in TSX as much as possible. That makes it much easier to exactly center the star.

     Mark

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Yizhou