FW: Next ASEM Digital SIG meeting - Ron Brecher - PixInsight Deconvolution and Sharpening - Tuesday

Dan Crowson

Our local club’s imaging SIG (I head it up) will have Ron Brecher doing a presentation on PixInsigh decon and sharpening tomorrow night. Feel free to join us via the Zoom links below.

From: Dan Crowson [mailto:dcrowson@...]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2021 6:01 PM
To: 'Dan Crowson' <dcrowson@...>
Subject: Heads Up - Next ASEM meeting - Ron Brecher - PixInsight Deconvolution and Sharpening

The next ASEM Digital SIG meeting is Tuesday, May 18th. Please find the Zoom information below. Feel free to share with others (but do not post on a website). Our meetings are always free and open to the public. Meetings are usually start at 7 PM (Zoom will open early) and go until ? We won’t have less attendance due to Warren Keller and Ron Brecher workshops this time around because Ron will be presenting for us. Find the Zoom info below Ron’s outline.

Concepts in Image Processing: Deconvolution and Sharpening; Noise Reduction and Smoothing

ASEM Digital SIG - May 18, 2021

Ron Brecher

OUTLINE

Deconvolution and sharpening are two tools that can be used to enhance detail in deep-sky images. Although they seem to do the same thing, they achieve different goals, are done at different times in the work flow, and require different masking considerations.  Similarly, noise reduction and smoothing may appear similar, but they have different goals and are used differently, and at different places in the workflow.

In this presentation, Ron will demonstrate these image enhancement techniques using PixInsight, including where they fit into his image processing workflow, and how to dial in the most important settings.

 _________________________

“Astrodoc” Ron Brecher is an avid astronomer with more than 20 years of experience. His photos and articles are featured in magazines, journals, CD covers, calendars and more. Ron writes for astronomy publications in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. He is a PixInsight Ambassador, and is the Technical Reviewer for both editions of the highly acclaimed reference text, Inside PixInsight. He is a Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.

Ron is available for one-on-one online astrophotography tutoring and support, including equipment setup, troubleshooting and image processing with PixInsight.

Ron images from his home in Guelph, Ontario where he and his wife Gail live with a dog, two cats, two kids ands their partners. In “real life,” Ron holds a PhD and is a board-certified toxicologist with 30+ years’ experience in risk assessment and risk communication. To round things out, Ron plays guitar and lead vocals in the R&B Band “The Exceptions.”

Dan Crowson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: May ASEM Digital SIG

Time: May 18, 2021 06:45 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84008506320?pwd=bGcxTysvUGo2ckNCOVVKdHdTN0FFQT09

Meeting ID: 840 0850 6320

Passcode: 878621

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,84008506320#,,,,*878621# US (Washington DC)

+13126266799,,84008506320#,,,,*878621# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 840 0850 6320

Passcode: 878621

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kjebjq04f

Again, feel free to share.

Yizhou Zhang

Hi Dan,

Is there a recording for this? Sad that I missed it...

Thanks,
Yizhou

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

[...]

The recording on Ron’s presentation can be found here - https://youtu.be/gWOXAQATQRU.

Excellent NB image you posted on CN.

For anyone reading this, I’m always looking for imaging topics for our meetings. They are the 3rd Tuesday monthly. Our group is fairly advanced (more so than I am with PixInsight). If you have anything you’d like to present or suggestions on topics or presenters, let me know.

While Missouri is pretty much back to business as usual, our monthly in person meeting location is on a Department of Energy site and I’m thinking it is going to be some time before we can move beyond zoom.