Arp 205 NGC 3448

Brian Ottum

Fascinating, Gregg.  Never saw this before.

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gregg Ruppel
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 11:41 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Arp 205 NGC 3448

Hi all:

Arp 205 (NGC3448) is an "amorphous" type galaxy in Ursa Major; it is located about 20 arcminutes southeast of the 5th magnitude star 44 Ursae Majoris:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc3448-LRGB.jpg

NGC 3448 is interacting with UGC 6016; the pair is cataloged by Arp as "material ejected from nucleus".
1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/Arp-205-LRGBcrop.jpg

An interesting 1986 paper based on studies performed at KPNO offers a detailed description of the galaxy and its companion.

LRGB, 6.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico.

Amorphous is right. Nice job. I think you need a bigger scope 😊

Bernard