Geminid Meteors

Howard Anderson

Hi,

Some of you know I am the author of HandyAvi software.

Last night I used HandyAvi's Meteor Capture subsystem to
capture the Geminid Meteor Shower.  I then used HandyAvi's
Scan for Meteors tool to rescan the video with a reduced sensitivity
setting to further reduce false detections.  Then I converted from AVI to MP4.

You can get to the video via https://Astroshow.com and select Meteors
in the left column then choose the last box on this page:

https://www.astroshow.com/Meteors/Meteors.html

Or directly download and view the video:

https://www.astroshow.com/Meteors/GeminidsRescanned13Dec20.mp4

The video is about 23 Megabytes so might take a while to download.

I use a Watec WAT-902H2 camera mounted on my observatory wall.
I'm using a Computar 2.6mm 1/2" lens on the camera.  The camera
sensitivity is purportedly .0001 lux which is pretty good.

Anyway, I was happy with last night's results...  Sky was clear too
which helped!

Thanks,

Howard

Brian Ottum

Howard,
This is great!
I saw dozens of fireballs. Holy cow.
Thanks.

[...]

Bernard Miller

Howard,

Great job.

[...]

Hi Howard
Thanks for sharing the video.  Lots of passing clouds at DSNM, but here is the video from our sky cam:

https://adgsoftware.com/rh/skycam/latest.mp4

On 12/14/2020 8:56 AM, Howard Anderson wrote:
[...]

Dan Crowson

I usually set ours to continuously take exposures but it wasnt worth it last night with the thin (and then some) clouds all night.

Dan

On December 14, 2020 12:48:00 PM CST, Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@...> wrote:
[...]

View/Reply Online (#3155): https://groups.io/g/DarkSkyNewMexico/message/3155
Group Owner: DarkSkyNewMexico+owner@groups.io

Howard Anderson

Hi All,

Thanks for comments.

Thank you Greg for all-sky view.  Wow. There were more
clouds than I thought last night... Was lucky to get what
I got...

The meteor algorithm I wrote interleaves and stores pre and post
frames so that beginning and end of a trail are preserved.  Only
things that look like motion trigger frames to be stored.  There is
a sensitivity control that allows scintillation to be ignored.  Sort
of protects against triggering on random pixel fluctuations.

I rescanned the video with a lower sensitivity setting to eliminate
some frames that passed the original sensitivity setting but did not
contain meteor trails.  Couple of short airplane trails also got through
and I didn't edit them out since they were minor...  :-)

Thanks!

Howard