Supernova Remnant RCW 86

This is an image of RCW 86. It is the oldest known SNR in the night sky. It was witnessed by Chinese astronomers in185 A.D. and documented as a “guest star” that remained visible for 8 months. It is believed to be the first supernova recorded in history. It is located about 8,000 light years away n the constellation Circinus.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/RCW86.htm

Hi Bernard
That is an interesting target, one I have not seen before.  What was the rationale for two separate sets of Ha exposures? Was the final NB composite HHO, or HOO, or something else?  Thanks for sharing.

On 8/3/2020 8:41 AM, Bernard Miller wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of RCW 86. It is the oldest known SNR in the night sky. It was witnessed by Chinese astronomers in185 A.D. and documented as a “guest star” that remained visible for 8 months. It is believed to be the first supernova recorded in history. It is located about 8,000 light years away n the constellation Circinus.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/RCW86.htm

Holy cow, it’s the DNA helix twisty strand!

This is an image of RCW 86. It is the oldest known SNR in the night sky. It was witnessed by Chinese astronomers in185 A.D. and documented as a “guest star” that remained visible for 8 months. It is believed to be the first supernova recorded in history. It is located about 8,000 light years away n the constellation Circinus.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/RCW86.htm

I think when he started capturing the data, he saw how faint it was and switched to 2x2 binning.