Topics

Running Chicken IC2944

MJ Post

Folks - I'm a wannabe DSNM astronomer, unable to install my gear because of COVID19.  Last year about this time several of us from the Longmont Astronomy Society (LAS, in Colorad) traveled to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) for 6 nights of astro imaging.  We got only 3 nights in - clouds and rain skunked us the other nights!  I used a borrowed Celestron EdgeHD 8" SCT scope with Hyperstar, a rented mount, and my SX694C camera.  We were supposed to go this year, but those plans got cancelled.  My compadres are now posting reprocessed images from last year's trip, in a futile attempt to relive our limited success.

About a month ago Bernard Miller posted his (tighter) image of the Running Chicken.  Here's my (wider) version from south of the equator.  The rented mount was giving me fits, so this image is the result of about twenty 100-sec subs.

Some of my other images, mostly taken from Boulder, reside at the same site, if you'd care to scroll forward or backward.

Dan - if it is OK I'd like to join your ASEM Zoom meeting this coming Tuesday.

M.J. Post
Boulder, CO

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Really nice image. I’ve love to be able to capture some southern hemisphere data at some point. My luck would be getting to go sometime and run into a week of clouds.

Love to have you and other DSNM on the ‘webinar.’ This is our first and we might find it a bit rough but fellow DSNM’er Gregg Ruppel with demonstrate comet processing.

[...]

William McLaughlin

Wow, that is pretty rare for San Pedro! Bad Luck.  Where did you stay and image? We were down there at Tierra resort in 2014 but not for astronomy.  Clear the whole time of course.

Nice image in any case!

MJ,

The detail you have is nice, but it looks like you black clipped the image. You may want to monitor your Levels curve during processing. Somewhere you clipped the blacks pretty significantly.

The trip sounds like it was a lot of fun. Too bad about the weather but I would take 3 nights at that site.

Bernard

[...]

Very nice, MJ.   I see some silhouette but not sure I see that chicken.

Hopefully you can do your installation soon.  I’m extremely interested to see how that superfast scope works for you.

Brian