From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On
Behalf Of Bernard Miller
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:12 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Sky camera

Hi,

Does anyone have a sky camera I can access on the WEB. Mine has gone dark.
If not, do you know where I can buy one that is not ridiculously priced?

Does anyone have a sky camera I can access on the WEB? Mine has gone dark. Does anyone know where you can buy a sky camera that does not cost a thousand freaking dollars?

Bernard - I know this won't help you immediately, but Tally and I (Bldg. 2) have a friend putting together an all-sky camera for us, one with much better specs than you can buy commercially.  It's basically working but has some minor software issues, which is our friend's forte.  We'll have it on site in 2-4 months, delayed mostly by COVID travel restrictions.  Everyone at DSNM will be allowed access via the web.  Stay tuned.

MJ

On April 16, 2020 at 5:15 PM Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have a sky camera I can access on the WEB? Mine has gone dark. Does anyone know where you can buy a sky camera that does not cost a thousand freaking dollars?

MJ,

Thanks. Hopefully mine can be fixed. If not, this will be a nice alternative when it is up and running.

Bernard

Bernard - I know this won't help you immediately, but Tally and I (Bldg. 2) have a friend putting together an all-sky camera for us, one with much better specs than you can buy commercially.  It's basically working but has some minor software issues, which is our friend's forte.  We'll have it on site in 2-4 months, delayed mostly by COVID travel restrictions.  Everyone at DSNM will be allowed access via the web.  Stay tuned.

MJ

On April 16, 2020 at 5:15 PM Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have a sky camera I can access on the WEB? Mine has gone dark. Does anyone know where you can buy a sky camera that does not cost a thousand freaking dollars?

William McLaughlin

New camera sounds great. I do have to say that I have had the SBIG All-Sky 340 for about 10 years at home in my dark sky site. Alan put a red Wratten filter on it before they sent it to me and I can't imagine anything better. It is the monochrome, of course (color versions of any all-sky suck) and it is sensitive enough that I can see shifting patterns of skyglow on it.

Bill,

At 2.5K, I will pass. I just want to see if there are clouds, not image the sky. I can’t believe you can’t make a decent sky camera for around 500.00.

Bernard

New camera sounds great. I do have to say that I have had the SBIG All-Sky 340 for about 10 years at home in my dark sky site. Alan put a red Wratten filter on it before they sent it to me and I can't imagine anything better. It is the monochrome, of course (color versions of any all-sky suck) and it is sensitive enough that I can see shifting patterns of skyglow on it.

Dean Glace

Bernard,

I have a friend of mine that is working on an all sky camera. I have the first prototype at my observatory. He is working on a better one with a better lense that will give 180 degrees of sky. I hope to have it to bring out to DSNM when hey will let me travel back out to the site. I have an all sky camera working right now but it is not web accessable. It is on my SkyAlert computer. I am not a software guy. I am a retired RF engineer. Hopefully this second round of the all sky will work great and he will start building them. I don't know the price yet but it should not be er $500. It should be web accessible.

Dean
DSNM

On Apr 17, 2020, at 5:05 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Bill,

At 2.5K, I will pass. I just want to see if there are clouds, not image the sky. I can’t believe you can’t make a decent sky camera for around 500.00.

Bernard

New camera sounds great. I do have to say that I have had the SBIG All-Sky 340 for about 10 years at home in my dark sky site. Alan put a red Wratten filter on it before they sent it to me and I can't imagine anything better. It is the monochrome, of course (color versions of any all-sky suck) and it is sensitive enough that I can see shifting patterns of skyglow on it.

Dean,

Works for me. I have to figure out if my camera is toast or if it is the cabling. Once I figure that out, I may, or may not, be in the market for a new one.

Bernard

New camera sounds great. I do have to say that I have had the SBIG All-Sky 340 for about 10 years at home in my dark sky site. Alan put a red Wratten filter on it before they sent it to me and I can't imagine anything better. It is the monochrome, of course (color versions of any all-sky suck) and it is sensitive enough that I can see shifting patterns of skyglow on it.

William McLaughlin

Edited

Well, you do get what you pay for, IMHO. Below is a video from the other night from my SBIG.  It is only 640 x 480, of course but high res is not required. It is sensitive to faint clouds as you can see later in the night. Plus it has been running for well over a decade with zero issues...

Sorry about the dome crud - I need to do my spring cleaning on the dome - not used much in winter here since it is mostly cloudy in the winter in the Pac NW.

As an aside, note the  Lyrids I picked up early in the night

I also do not understand why we need multiple cameras. Every other remote site I know of has a single high quality All-Sky available to everyone on the remote site's own web-page or server.

Take Care