Topics

UGC 11861

Dan Crowson

UGC 11861 (PGC 67671 and others) is low surface brightness galaxy located approximately 58 million light-years away in Cepheus.

The bright star at the bottom left is 16 Cephei.

Luminance – 24x600s – 240 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

360 minutes total exposure – 6 hours

Imaged October 23rd and 24th, 2019 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/48959784617/sizes/l/

Excellent!  That's one you don't see very often (ever).  Thanks for sharing it.

On 10/25/2019 3:30 PM, Dan Crowson wrote:

UGC 11861 (PGC 67671 and others) is low surface brightness galaxy located approximately 58 million light-years away in Cepheus.

The bright star at the bottom left is 16 Cephei.

Luminance – 24x600s – 240 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

360 minutes total exposure – 6 hours

Imaged October 23rd and 24th, 2019 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/48959784617/sizes/l/

Experts can see how perfectly collimated your system is!

Brian

UGC 11861 (PGC 67671 and others) is low surface brightness galaxy located approximately 58 million light-years away in Cepheus.

The bright star at the bottom left is 16 Cephei.

Luminance – 24x600s – 240 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

360 minutes total exposure – 6 hours

Imaged October 23rd and 24th, 2019 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/48959784617/sizes/l/

Nice work Dan. This one is not easy to process.

Bernard

UGC 11861 (PGC 67671 and others) is low surface brightness galaxy located approximately 58 million light-years away in Cepheus.

The bright star at the bottom left is 16 Cephei.

Luminance – 24x600s – 240 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

360 minutes total exposure – 6 hours

Imaged October 23rd and 24th, 2019 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/48959784617/sizes/l/

Brian,

Thanks for looking but my system is fairly poor. I just have one of those cheap Chinese RC’s (Astro-Tech but it is the same as the GSO and others). It seems to have numerous issues like the mirror tilts and moves, I have to focus just about every 30 minutes. Mine’s a first generation with the focuser directly connect to the back of the mirror but that issue is ‘fixed’ by an expensive moonlight focuser.

How is the PlaneWave mount working out?

You’ll love this. TheSkyX doesn’t support the high eccentricity of the interstellar comet (a lot of software doesn’t). This means Paramount users can’t track on it. They supposedly fixed it and it will be in the next ‘daily’ build but it has been maybe two months? I suspect it will be released as soon as the comet is only visible from the southern hemisphere.

Experts can see how perfectly collimated your system is!

Brian

UGC 11861 (PGC 67671 and others) is low surface brightness galaxy located approximately 58 million light-years away in Cepheus.

The bright star at the bottom left is 16 Cephei.

Luminance – 24x600s – 240 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

360 minutes total exposure – 6 hours

Imaged October 23rd and 24th, 2019 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/48959784617/sizes/l/

My PlaneWave is good, but very occasionally having communication dropouts.   Could be my iffy USB extender connection, or their grounding wire, or something they just fixed with a new daily build.  Tracking is poor in some areas of the sky, due to my saggy GSO 10” reflector and camera.  Sooo, I will be at DSNM in the middle of November for nearly a week doing lots of maintenance.

OTOH, I did have a complete blast taking shots of a NEO flyby last night.  Separate email to everyone coming.

Let me know if you need anything done while I’m out there.

I’m hoping PlaneWave’s software will track the comet, but have not tried yet.