From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bernard Miller
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 7:07 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] NGC 2264 - The Cone Nebula

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 2264, also known as the Cone Nebula. NGC 2264 actually refers to two different objects; the Cone Nebula and the Christmas Tree Cluster. This image only includes the Cone Nebula and a few of the stars from the Christmas Tree cluster near the top of the image. It is an emission nebula about 2,600 light years away in the constellation Monoceros. The Cone Nebula is a pillar of gas about 7 light years in length and is an active star forming region.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC2264.htm

http://www.azstarman.net