Re: First Light - M33

MJ Post

Dan - I bin before downloading, so my binned files are 30 MB in size - much better!  With CMOS  binning you get noise from two read cycles vs. just one cycle with CCDs.  But read noise is so low on the CMOS chips that it doesn't matter. At DSNM sky noise is the dominant noise source on CMOS images, not read noise or dark noise.

MJ

On 12/08/2020 8:26 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

MJ,

Yes… filesizes… And I’ve heard they can be hard to get square with such a large chip. I’m not going to even mention the cost of filters (Chroma’s went up something like 70% or more overnight).

I’m assuming the CMOS camera doesn’t do on chip binning. I think these all do it in the driver. Are you doing it there or in processing after the fact? I’m guessing the drive would allow for creating smaller files right away versus loading each 120MB into a stacking program.

I’m debating on a 6200 or the 2600 when the mono is available.