Re: First Light - M33

MJ Post

Dan - I bin before downloading, so my binned files are 30 MB in size - much better!  With CMOS  binning you get noise from two read cycles vs. just one cycle with CCDs.  But read noise is so low on the CMOS chips that it doesn't matter. At DSNM sky noise is the dominant noise source on CMOS images, not read noise or dark noise.

MJ

On 12/08/2020 8:26 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

MJ,

Yes… filesizes… And I’ve heard they can be hard to get square with such a large chip. I’m not going to even mention the cost of filters (Chroma’s went up something like 70% or more overnight).

I’m assuming the CMOS camera doesn’t do on chip binning. I think these all do it in the driver. Are you doing it there or in processing after the fact? I’m guessing the drive would allow for creating smaller files right away versus loading each 120MB into a stacking program.

I’m debating on a 6200 or the 2600 when the mono is available.

Dan

----          
Dan Crowson                          dcrowson@...
Dardenne Prairie MO               http://www.crowson.com

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 9:16 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DarkSkyNewMexico] First Light - M33

Dan - Yes, it is a great camera.  High bit depth, large full-well, low noise, small pixels.  Only problem is large file sizes (120 MB).  I've ordered the color version to try on the CDK14 - even with OSC operation I will not be under sampling (1x1 binning).

MJ

On 12/08/2020 8:08 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

MJ,

Looks great.

Happy with the 6200M?

Dan

----          
Dan Crowson                          dcrowson@...
Dardenne Prairie MO               http://www.crowson.com

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 8:54 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] First Light - M33

After many months of Covid and other problems with Software Bisque, and with Al Acker's help, I finally got one telescope working in Building 2, where I'm partnering with Tally O'Donnell.  It is a PlaneWave CDK14 on an ME II mount, sitting side-by-side with an Officina RH 350 AT that still has alignment issues.  Here's one of my first images with the PW - LRGB using six 600-sec unguided subs for each filter and binning 2x2 on a ZWO ASI 6200M camera.  The scope still needs collimation tweaks, but I'm taking data anyway and hope to post more soon.  Seeing and SQM reading are so much better at DSNM than where I live (near Boulder, CO), that I can't help but be excited for imaging endeavors with all of you in New Mexico.

M.J. Post

P.S.  Sorry about sending the first incomplete email - fat fingers!

Join DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.