Re: NGC 6164

Gregg Ruppel

Very interesting...nice combination of RGB and NB.  Thanks for sharing.

On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:12 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 6164. It is an emission nebula about 4,200 light years away in the constellation Norma. The nebula was created by a hot O-type star about 40 times as massive as the Sun. The star can be seen in the center of the image and is a mere 3-4 million years old. In another 3-4 million years, this star will end its life as a supernova. By comparison, our Sun is almost 5 billion years old and has another 5 billion years left in its lifetime. This nebula has a bipolar symmetry similar to some planetary nebulae and has an outer halo expanding into the interstellar medium.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://azstarman.net/CDK/NGC6164_NB2.htm