Re: IC 2944 - The Running Chicken Nebula in narrowband

Nice...no chicken as far as I can tell either. The blue channel (OIII?) really provides great contrast for the Bok globules.  Thanks for sharing.

On Mar 22, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of IC 2044, also known as the Running Chicken Nebula. I will be honest with you I am not seeing the chicken. It is an open cluster and associated emission nebula about 6,500 light years away in the constellation Centaurus. It has some very prominent Bok Globules in the center, which are usually sites of active star formation. However, there does not appear to be any star formation associated with the globules in IC 2044. This image was captured with 5nm narrowband filters (Ha, SII, and OIII) and processed with the Hubble palette.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://azstarman.net/CDK/IC2944_NB2.htm