Re: Roof Closure Building 8 Too Early!

Frederick Steiling

I had a group message from Michael on 1/23 stating the following:

"We experienced some light condensation this morning.  I have asked Al to set the humidity parameter to 80% and auto close the roof at 430am if the weather station has not ordered its closure prior to that time.  I will keep you up to date on the condensation issue.  Michael"

I agree that it's time to revert the change for 4:30 closure.  If weather parameters are safe, closure should be triggered on a daylight parameter, preferably relaxed enough to nab sky flats if anyone needs them.  I was down there installing my gear last week and manually re-opened the roof one night after 4:30 for continued testing and didn't experience any issues.

If the behavior persists, I'll also reach out directly.

Rick (aka the other Rick in building 8)

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:53 AM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

I know others in that shared building have mentioned this. Definitely reach out to the DSNM people – Larry, Michael, etc. I’ll actually forward this one.

I tend to be able to image up until the sun is about 16 degrees below the horizon if pointed west so you can even cheat the system a little more.

Dan

----

Dan Crowson

IS Director

CMS Communications, Inc.

722 Goddard Ave

Chesterfield MO 63005

dcrowson@...

www.cmsc.com

Expertise you need, the choice you deserve.

CMS Logo

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of William McLaughlin
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2020 10:21 AM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Roof Closure Building 8 Too Early!

The last two nights that the roof was open on building 8 I noticed that it was closing around 4:30 AM.

Given that astronomical twilight is at about 5:45 AM, this is wasting an hour and 15 minutes of imaging time. Worse, during this phase of the moon, most or all of that is moonless time. In fact, even when the moon IS up during morning AT (the opposite side of the moon calendar), it is common to image a bit PAST astronomical twilight since one is typically using narrowband filters anyway and a small amount of early twilight is less than what the moon illumination contributes. In that case one should be closing as much as 30 minutes AFTER morning astronomical twilight. There is zero safety hazard to this since sunrise is still a half hour or more away in the most extreme case.

I have my own roll-off and have imaged at another remote site as well and have never heard of early closure for anything but weather.

I have talked to my imaging partner and he is in 100% agreement - he has imaged at three other remote sites and says none of them did anything like this.

How do we get this changed?

--

My images can be found at:

and

--
Frederick Steiling
Mobile: 314.363.7009

Join DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.