Re: Betelgeuse is "fainting"

Brian Ottum

I totally agree, my images are for demonstration purposes only and not a scientific collection of data.  And thanks for sending that AAVSO link – the light curve is DRAMATIC!

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Crowson
Sent: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 9:07 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Betelgeuse is "fainting"

Brian,

I posted the below elsewhere. Images like yours are rough at best because humidity or seeing could yield the visible differences shown…

Go to https://www.aavso.org/ and enter alf Ori into the search box on the right and hit plot light curve. It might sound bad for lack of a better term but I would then uncheck the visual observations box on the chart. It looks like it has dimmed almost a magnitude since the start of November.