Re: NGC 6164

Gregg Ruppel

Great image Bernard.  I don’t recall ever seeing this one before.  Thanks for sharing.

On Aug 1, 2019, at 4:36 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 6164. It is a bi-color narrowband image taken with HA and OIII filters with RGB data for the stars. It is an emission nebula about 4,200 light years away in the constellation Norma. It is often mistaken for a planetary nebula due to its appearance. In fact it is an emission nebula by the hot O-type star in the center which is over 40 times more massive than our sun. The star is only 3-4 million years old and in another 3-4 million years it will end its life as a supernova.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC6164_NB.htm