Topics

SSB DVK / WAV Files

Kam Sirag

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm trying to switch all logging at TI7W
to DXLog.

Another question -

I use Flex 6600M radios in a 'classic' setup (two radios, YCCC SO2R box).
Because the 6600M does not have a built in DVK capability (something I
believe is sorely needed but that's another discussion) in order to play
pre-recorded WAV files, the logging software needs to be able to identify a
particular sound card type (in this case DAX Audio TX) which will utilize a
network connection to modulate the radio with a chosen audio file (WAV.)

My question is - I can't find any menu settings anywhere for setting the
sound card 'type' and or identifying any WAV files that can be associated
with Function keys for playback in an SSB contest? Any help greatly
appreciated : )

As a follow on (for those who may be interested), when using two 6600M
radios on a network, in classic SO2R with a YCCC SO2R box, in order to
transport the WAV file audio to the 6600M that is not directly connected to
the PC with the logging software or SmartSDR software of that particular PC,
a third party software suite needs to be used. I use software from Audinate
called Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via, and Dante Controller. What they
allow is audio from a Dante Virtual Soundcard on one PC to be transported
across a network with very low latency to another PC and applied to another
receiver (in this case the DAX Audio TX of the other 6600M.) It usually
works pretty well until Windows 10 or some related software updates and
messes everything up... The point of this novel is that in order to make
this work, there needs to be dual soundcard capability in the logging
software - where one radio can be associated with a soundcard (DAX Audio TX
locally) and the other radio with another soundcard (Dante Virtual
Soundcard.) This was possible to do in N1MM, but I don't see an ability to
do that in DXLog. Of course, the best answer is built in DVK's in the radio
that can be accessed by CAT or even a pod (circa FTDX5000.)

Thanks for listening,
73
Kam
N3KS
TI7W
TI5/N3KS

John Warburton G4IRN

Hi Kam

Hope you're keeping well, welcome to DXLog.

The sound card setup is in the MP3 configuration which can be found under the Options menu.

You'll need to install an MP3 codec, I believe there's info in the documentation to do that but if not, get back to the group.

I can't answer the SO2R part but if you look at the MP3 config I suspect you have to use the same soundcard.

As for the audio F-key messages, I'll let someone who has a microphone answer that, I really don't know that one either.

73 John G4IRN

On 18/06/2019 16:44, Kam Sirag via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the welcome John, happy to be here!

I do/did see the MP3 sound card setup menu item, and had set it to the sound card that would seem most appropriate for the 6600M (DAX Audio TX.) I'm just a bit unclear on how it may help you wrt sending stored audio messages. I get the recording part (different sound card of course), but it seems that there should be some sort of menu options somewhere where you can tie keystroke commands (typically an F key - which I understand you are deferring on - to a particular stored audio file.) I know N4YDU has somehow managed to get pre-recorded WAV files sent using F keys, but he told me it was very 'klugey' and to try and see if there was a better way.

I can't even think of a klugey way to do it right now, so I must be overlooking some other commands or capabilities in the software : )

There are work arounds of course, but I like to try and set everything up to be a function or capability accessible from the keyboard, so am looking for a way to do it within DXLog.

73!
Kam
N3KS
TI7W

[...]

Björn SM7IUN

Kam,

the audio card selection for DXLog's built in DVK is found in the upper right corner of the "Options->Configure interfaces" panel.
This panel can also be reached by typing SETUP<Enter>.  It allows you to record using Shift-F-key.

73,

Björn SM7IUN

Den tis 18 juni 2019 kl 21:14 skrev Kam Sirag via Groups.Io <kam.sirag=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

> [...]

> called Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via, and Dante Controller.  What they
> allow is audio from a Dante Virtual Soundcard on one PC to be transported
> across a network with very low latency to another PC and applied to another
> receiver (in this case the DAX Audio TX of the other 6600M.)   It usually
> works pretty well until Windows 10 or some related software updates and
> messes everything up...   The point of this novel is that in order to make
> this work, there needs to be dual soundcard capability in the logging
> software - where one radio can be associated with a soundcard (DAX Audio TX
> locally) and the other radio with another soundcard (Dante Virtual
> Soundcard.)  This was possible to do in N1MM, but I don't see an ability to
> do that in DXLog.  Of course, the best answer is built in DVK's in the radio
> that can be accessed by CAT or even a pod (circa FTDX5000.)

Kam Sirag

Hi Bjorn,

Yes, thank you – I see that.

But I am apparently not seeing something that must be very obvious…..

How to select and assign the WAV (or MP3?) files for playing through the radio via keyboard command (i.e. F1..)?

For example,

I will use Audacity to create a WAV file ‘CQ CQ TI7W’  which will just be an audio file of (for example) ‘CQ CONTEST TI7W’

That WAV file will reside on the PC in a directory somewhere

Now, I would like to play that WAV file from DXLog by pressing F1

Where do you assign the F1 key to that WAV file, it’s folder directory etc so that when you press F1 in SSB mode it will play that file through the sound card that was selected in the Configure Interfaces menu?

It is not intuitive to me from the manual or program if the file should be WAV for MP3, but it does not really matter – it is easy to create either type using Audacity.

Thanks and 73,

Kam

N3KS

TI7W

Hope you're keeping well, welcome to DXLog.

The sound card setup is in the MP3 configuration which can be found
under the Options menu.

You'll need to install an MP3 codec, I believe there's info in the
documentation to do that but if not, get back to the group.

I can't answer the SO2R part but if you look at the MP3 config I suspect
you have to use the same soundcard.

As for the audio F-key messages, I'll let someone who has a microphone
answer that, I really don't know that one either.

73 John G4IRN

On 18/06/2019 16:44, Kam Sirag via Groups.Io wrote:
> As mentioned in my previous post, I'm trying to switch all logging at TI7W
> to DXLog.
>
> Another question -
>
> I use Flex 6600M radios in a 'classic' setup (two radios, YCCC SO2R box).
> Because the 6600M does not have a built in DVK capability (something I
> believe is sorely needed but that's another discussion) in order to play
> pre-recorded WAV files, the logging software needs to be able to identify a
> particular sound card type (in this case DAX Audio TX) which will utilize a
> network connection to modulate the radio with a chosen audio file (WAV.)
>
> My question is - I can't find any menu settings anywhere for setting the
> sound card 'type' and or identifying any WAV files that can be associated
> with Function keys for playback in an SSB contest?  Any help greatly
> appreciated : )
>
> As a follow on (for those who may be interested), when using two 6600M
> radios on a network, in classic SO2R with a YCCC SO2R box, in order to
> transport the WAV file audio to the 6600M that is not directly connected to
> the PC with the logging software or SmartSDR software of that particular PC,
> a third party software suite needs to be used.  I use software from Audinate
> called Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via, and Dante Controller.  What they
> allow is audio from a Dante Virtual Soundcard on one PC to be transported
> across a network with very low latency to another PC and applied to another
> receiver (in this case the DAX Audio TX of the other 6600M.)   It usually
> works pretty well until Windows 10 or some related software updates and
> messes everything up...   The point of this novel is that in order to make
> this work, there needs to be dual soundcard capability in the logging
> software - where one radio can be associated with a soundcard (DAX Audio TX
> locally) and the other radio with another soundcard (Dante Virtual
> Soundcard.)  This was possible to do in N1MM, but I don't see an ability to
> do that in DXLog.  Of course, the best answer is built in DVK's in the radio
> that can be accessed by CAT or even a pod (circa FTDX5000.)
>
> Thanks for listening,
> 73
> Kam
> N3KS
> TI7W
> TI5/N3KS

Dragan Djordjevic 4O4A

Hi Kam,

Name your file F1.wav.
Put it in C:/Users/<your computer name>/AppData/Roaming/DXLog.net/Ops folder.

Regards,
Dragan, 4O4A

Kam Sirag

Thank you Drago,