Your Computer

Pete W1RM

I’m in the market for a new computer and am considering one with a NVMe SSD hard disk rather than a “normal” SSD.  With 175k QSOs in my DXK log, downloading from LoTW and updating the log takes time.  From what I read, the NVMe is a screamer compared with a SATA SSD.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

Jon Gefaell

NVME M.2 is vastly faster and more efficient than SATA M.2. Get NVME by all means. I run 2x 2GB NVME M.2 on an Intel NUC Hades Canyon.

Stan Gammons

Just an observation, but if your log has that many Q’s; it’s going to take a very long time to process by the LoTW servers. I don’t know that a faster PC will make any difference.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:01 PM, Pete W1RM <w1rm@...> wrote:

I’m in the market for a new computer and am considering one with a NVMe SSD hard disk rather than a “normal” SSD.  With 175k QSOs in my DXK log, downloading from LoTW and updating the log takes time.  From what I read, the NVMe is a screamer compared with a SATA SSD.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

John Etling

Nvme memory (disk) is considerably faster than SATA.

'73s de K3JAE
John

K3JAE's Weather Station
http://www.k3jae.com

On Sep 11, 2021, at 23:00, Stan Gammons via groups.io <buttercup11421@...> wrote:

Just an observation, but if your log has that many Q’s; it’s going to take a very long time to process by the LoTW servers. I don’t know that a faster PC will make any difference.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 10:01 PM, Pete W1RM <w1rm@...> wrote:

I’m in the market for a new computer and am considering one with a NVMe SSD hard disk rather than a “normal” SSD.  With 175k QSOs in my DXK log, downloading from LoTW and updating the log takes time.  From what I read, the NVMe is a screamer compared with a SATA SSD.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

w6de

I switched from an early Intel NVME PCI x4 to a new Samsung 980 NVME M2 recently.  I thought the 7-year old Intel NVME was fast, but the new Samsung is noticeably faster.  Look at the specifications of the memory you are looking at and go for the faster device.

I have a 500 GB for my boot and programs disk.  I keep pretty much all my other stuff (less used data) on another separate 1 Gig SATA SSD.  If you do this too, I’d recommend using the same brand of SSD devices so you can use that single manufacturer’s SSD maintenance SW tool.  IntelMAS_GUI what was I used previously, I now use Samsung Magician.

While you are looking for a brand new computer select one with PCI v4 expansion slots, it will provide higher CPU bandwidth for your NVME SSD [than PCI v3].

Dave, w6de

I’m in the market for a new computer and am considering one with a NVMe SSD hard disk rather than a “normal” SSD.  With 175k QSOs in my DXK log, downloading from LoTW and updating the log takes time.  From what I read, the NVMe is a screamer compared with a SATA SSD.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

Dennis, K2SX

Did you get any good input on the new PC?  I am about due for a new one too and might as well get it before the K4 arrives.  BTW, I am within inches of 300K QSOs  in DXK so it does take a while to load the data in and particularly to download from LotW.

SX

I’m in the market for a new computer and am considering one with a NVMe SSD hard disk rather than a “normal” SSD.  With 175k QSOs in my DXK log, downloading from LoTW and updating the log takes time.  From what I read, the NVMe is a screamer compared with a SATA SSD.

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1rm@...

ve3ki

My DXK log is comparable in size. The actual download of an incremental sync operation from LotW is the same no matter what the size of your log - it's the updating of the QSOs in the log that depends on the size of the log. In my case, it now takes about one second per QSO being updated, so if a LotW sync operation updates 60 QSOs, the updating part of the operation will take about a minute.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 07:52 PM, Dennis, K2SX wrote:

[...]

+ Pete W1RM sent me an errorlog showing that invoking "Sync LoTW QSLs" with his 175K QSO log took a total of 88 seconds to process the 48 new QSLs that LoTW reported: 5 seconds to download the 48 QSLs and 83 seconds to locate each newly-confirmed QSO in your log, update that logged QSO to reflect its confirmation, and update the award progress tables (DXCC, IOTA, Leaderboard, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, WPX) to reflect the logged QSO's confirmation. Updating records in Log and progress tables takes considerably longer than just reading those records.