Yaesu rotor control stops working, locks up DXView

Chuck, WS1L

This has happened twice now, so not a one-off event.

I tried to turn the Yaesu rotor using DXView and it didn't respond.  I manually tuned it and it worked fine.  The rotor is a Yaesu G-450A with the aftermarket ERC interface.

I opened the DXView config and unchecked the enabled box.  After a few moments DXV stopped responding.  Task Manager can't kill it, even the details tab showing processes can't kill it.  TM shows it using 120k of memory, the CPU is at 15% utilization.

I tried the ERC standalone tool but the Com port is locked in use by DXV.  Still, the interface has been working fine with N1MM Rotor.

Not sure what is happening, but a re-boot seems like the only way out of this.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Chuck, WS1L

One update -

I had been using the DXView selection for "Yaesu" rotor - and it worked.  Using the ERC software tool I selected the DCU-1 Hygain protocol, and have changed the DXView rotor selection to HyGain.  That works, and I'll keep it running to see if that is a better selection.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Chuck Chandler <chandlerusm@...> wrote:
[...]

+ That's most likely a defective COM port or COM port driver.

73,

Dave, AA6Q

Salvatore Besso

Chuck,

I could say that it's not a defective COM port or driver, it's only a matter of power. I also have the ERC interface. It happens, sometimes, when transmitting with quite high power, especially on the lowest bands, that the interface simply hangs, hanging also DXView. Detaching and reattaching the USB cable frees DXView and the interface works again. But this is not the solution; I've bought an Amidon ferrite ring, FT-240-31, on which I will wind a consistent portion of the USB cable (a quite long cable is needed for this, at least a couple of meters, since the ferrite ring is very big). This should cure the problem for good. But check also for R.F. circulating in the shack.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Tim Vandagriff

I have had this problem daily for years.....even without transmitting..I leave it running overnight and  many times it is locked up... Since I am using a Flex, rebooting is a major issue...so, I only turn on the app when I need to use the rotor..

I have had this problem daily for years.....even without transmitting..I leave it running overnight and  many times it is locked up... Since I am using a Flex, rebooting is a major issue...so, I only turn on the app when I need to use the rotor..

+ What kind of serial port are you using to connect your rotator controller to your computer?

Chuck, WS1L

It's only been 24 hours, but using the HyGain selection in DXView instead of the Yaesu one has it working for me without any problems.

No doubt now I have thoroughly jinxed myself and it will stop working, locking up my computer... just as a New One starts calling CQ without any takers.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:00 AM Tim Vandagriff <wa5yom@...> wrote:
I have had this problem daily for years.....even without transmitting..I leave it running overnight and  many times it is locked up... Since I am using a Flex, rebooting is a major issue...so, I only turn on the app when I need to use the rotor..

It's only been 24 hours, but using the HyGain selection in DXView instead of the Yaesu one has it working for me without any problems.

+ The Hygain and Yaesu rotor control protocols are different: the command to rotate a Yaesu rotator to heading XXX is MXXX<13>, but the command to rotate a Hygain rotator is AP1XXX;

+ Unless you have a rotator controller that automatically accepts both protocols, I don't understand how they could both work.

Chuck, WS1L

The add-on controller is new to me, but it has a standalone config utility.  Before I changed the DXV config rotor settings from Yaesu to HyGain I used the standalone utility to change the protocol from something called RS232G (IIRC) to DCU-1.

The utility help file said that would use a subset of the DCU-1 protocol.

At any rate, that is what I think, but I'm not yet familiar enough with it to be confident about what caused what behavior.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 2:57 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

It's only been 24 hours, but using the HyGain selection in DXView instead of the Yaesu one has it working for me without any problems.

+ The Hygain and Yaesu rotor control protocols are different: the command to rotate a Yaesu rotator to heading XXX is MXXX<13>, but the command to rotate a Hygain rotator is AP1XXX;

+ Unless you have a rotator controller that automatically accepts both protocols, I don't understand how they could both work.

Tim Vandagriff

Hygain Rotor Controller with ERC Version 4 SMD USB interface,
All USB ports are not set for energy savings....so they never turn off....

The add-on controller is new to me, but it has a standalone config utility. Before I changed the DXV config rotor settings from Yaesu to HyGain I used the standalone utility to change the protocol from something called RS232G (IIRC) to DCU-1.

The utility help file said that would use a subset of the DCU-1 protocol.

At any rate, that is what I think, but I'm not yet familiar enough with it to be confident about what caused what behavior.

+ In this case, at least, all's well that ends well.

Hygain Rotor Controller with ERC Version 4 SMD USB interface, All USB ports are not set for energy savings....so they never turn off....

+ Then I recommend two next steps:

1. check the Windows Event Logs for indications of hardware or software failures around the time when the lockups occurred.

2. reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking"; do the lockups still occur?