Topics

WSJT-X log pop up to log to DX Keeper

N0CWR

Edited

T6AA is on 20m FT8

I double click T1 WSJT FT-8 program.

So my FT-8 program sends a report to T6AA

I see he responds with report to me

A log pop up box comes up to log to DXkeeper so I click it and my FT-8 sends him a single RR 73
 All right that was easy . 

So now my FT8 program is all done sending.

As far as it’s concerned the contact is completed.

I see T6AA still sends me a report 

Clublog later shows NIL

What do I do to get a good QSO acknowledgement using  FT 8 when at my end the software is all done?

Is there something wrong with this software sequencing or is there something I should or shouldn’t be clicking?

It was all just so easy when the ‘clicking’ was done on my CW paddles! Ha!
Kevin

g4wjs

On 20/09/2020 18:00, N0CWR via groups.io wrote:
T6AA is on 20m FT8

A log pop up box comes up to log to DXbase so I click it and my FT-8 sends him a single RR 73

Clublog later shows NIL

What do I do to get a good QSO acknowledgement using  FT 8 when at my end the software is all done?

Is there something wrong with this software sequencing or is there something I should or shouldn’t be clicking?

Kevin

Kevin,

WSJT-X is not a replacement for the operator, it has aids that help with the quick turnaround of QSOs where there is very little thinking time between decoding a signal and transmitting your reply. If your QSO partner does not copy your last acknowledgment then you must send it again - just like you would in a CW QSO. The mode might be different but the rules and conventions are the same.

--

Bill

G4WJS.

w6de

What you describe also happens to me on occasion.  I now wait to click on the Log It button until I receive his 73 or he goes away.  On crowded bands—like 20 meters—this happens regularly when I’m working Europe.

There is a way to possibly predict the distant station will not copy your RR73 or 73.  Look at what he sent you for a signal report if it is lower than roughly -10 start thinking he may not receive your end of QSO message.  For me I click the transmit button/bar to enable transmit and select the 73 message to send from the sequence list.  Then if I get the 73 from the distant station I un-select transmit and click OK to log the QSO. Repeat as necessary—which is usual for really weak distant stations.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of N0CWR via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 17:01
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] WSJT-X log pop up to log to DX Keeper

T6AA is on 20m FT8

A log pop up box comes up to log to DXbase so I click it and my FT-8 sends him a single RR 73

Clublog later shows NIL

Kevin

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Hi Kevin

In my opinion the AutoSequencing in WSJT-X is a mess…. An area that JTDX is far superior with!!

In WSJT-X’s favour (and why I have been using it a lot recently despite a major preference for JTDX’s UI!) is the early decode facility, which JTDX has not embraced. This gives time to adjust accordingly for repeated exchanges. I do find it infuriating that the TX button switches off every time after sending a RR73 (would prefer this to happen AFTER I log, and if I am moving onto CQ to stay active) but I am in the habit now of reactivating this as soon as I start sending a RR73…. This gives enough time to click on the station’s report if it is repeated. I only log AFTER the 73 is received.  REALLY not impressed with WSJT-X’s Autosequencing – somewhat shambolic, but can be worked around!!

JTDX has a choice of 7 different Autosequence configurations…. And as I am a mouse operator (HATE using a keyboard whilst operating!) even bought a Gaming Mouse to give me programmable buttons to make WSJT-X at leas useable!!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690  30MDG#4081

DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)

Sent: Sunday, 20 September 2020 19:01

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: DX base corrected to DXkeeper]

T6AA is on 20m FT8

A log pop up box comes up to log to DXkeeper so I click it and my FT-8 sends him a single RR 73

Clublog later shows NIL

Kevin

g4wjs

Barry,

not sure of the point of your comments if you don't use WSJT-X, but unchecking "Settings->General->Disable Tx after sending 73" would meet your requirement.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 21/09/2020 07:00, Barry Murrell ZS2EZ wrote:

Hi Kevin

In my opinion the AutoSequencing in WSJT-X is a mess…. An area that JTDX is far superior with!!

In WSJT-X’s favour (and why I have been using it a lot recently despite a major preference for JTDX’s UI!) is the early decode facility, which JTDX has not embraced. This gives time to adjust accordingly for repeated exchanges. I do find it infuriating that the TX button switches off every time after sending a RR73 (would prefer this to happen AFTER I log, and if I am moving onto CQ to stay active) but I am in the habit now of reactivating this as soon as I start sending a RR73…. This gives enough time to click on the station’s report if it is repeated. I only log AFTER the 73 is received.  REALLY not impressed with WSJT-X’s Autosequencing – somewhat shambolic, but can be worked around!!

JTDX has a choice of 7 different Autosequence configurations…. And as I am a mouse operator (HATE using a keyboard whilst operating!) even bought a Gaming Mouse to give me programmable buttons to make WSJT-X at leas useable!!

[Edited Message Follows]

T6AA is on 20m FT8

Clublog later shows NIL

Kevin

--

Bill

G4WJS.

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Hi Bill

That box was already unticked…. TX still disables when I send RR73

Been using WSJT-X a lot recently, REALLY like the early decode! Also found that my 8-year-old i5 PC was starting to battle with JTDX – handles WSJT-X much better. After adding a Gaming Mouse I am able to pretty much avoid using the keyboard (I use the “Clear DX” function quite a lot, so have one of the buttons programmed with F4 – JTDX has a UI button for this!).

As an early adopter of the original WSJT back in 2002, I have ALWAYS had it on my PC….

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of g4wjs
Sent: Monday, 21 September 2020 12:11
Subject: Re: [DXLab] WSJT-X log pop up to log to DX Keeper

Barry,

not sure of the point of your comments if you don't use WSJT-X, but unchecking "Settings->General->Disable Tx after sending 73" would meet your requirement.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 21/09/2020 07:00, Barry Murrell ZS2EZ wrote:

Hi Kevin

[Edited Message Follows]

T6AA is on 20m FT8

Clublog later shows NIL

Kevin

--

Bill

G4WJS.

Carl - WC4H

Edited

HI Kevin.

Well, it sounds like you have the "Clear DX call and grid after logging" box checked in the Reporting tab.

I also do that, but, I wait to log he QSO depending on the strength of the received signal report.  That is, if I get a +07, I'm fairly confident that my QSO partner is copying the RR73 and log it right away.  On the other hand, if I get a -20 report,  I wait to lo log it and I click on the enable button.  If my QSO partner sends the report again, WSJT-X  will resend the RR73.

You can also uncheck the Clear DX box and log it when you will.

One key is to use Enable Tx when it goes off so that you are ready for anything.

IF it the qso cleared, then you can double click on his last response and WSJT-X will respond.

The early decoding, gives you an extra second +, which really helps when deciding what to do.

Regarding the Auto Sequencing:

WSJT-X has that refined to a T.  It is by far the best auto sequencers of the main 3 WS programs.

If you don't want to use the F4, you can use the Windows Touch Keyboard.  It requires 2 clicks (Fn key then F4 key) but works.

Carl - WC4H