Topics

WSJT-X / JTAlert not logging QSOs on DXKeeper

jamesei2iv@...

Hi All,

I hope someone here can help me please!!  I know this issue has probably been well covered on here before, but I can't find the answer to my problem!

I have just upgraded my shack PC and no matter what I try I cannot get WSJT-X / JT Alert to log my FT8 contacts in DXKeeper. I never had this problem on the old the old PC and everything worked like a charm. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all 3 programs and also DXLabLauncher a couple of times just to be sure.

All programs and their shortcuts are not elevated to run as administrator and I also changed my Firewall permission for all 3 just to see if that would help but still  no joy. I can see what the problem is I just don't know how to fix it, OK let me describe it as simple as I can. All 3 programs are working OK but JTAlert isn't talking to DXKeeper. I have all the settings the same as my old PC which still works perfectly.

On JTAlert settings the TCP Network Service Port is 52000 and DXKeeper logging is enabled, in fact all settings are the same as on my old PC. On DXKeeper's settings  "Network Service"  window the Base Port is blank (and reverts to blank each time the program is started).  If I click on Default it changes to 52000 and the the blue heading changes from just "Network Service" to  "Network Service {port 0}: Not running," clicking on the restart button makes no difference.

Here is some info on both my new and old shack PCs

New PC: Windows 10 Home (64 bit) ....... JTAlert 2.15.6 ........ WSJT-X v2.1.2 0068f9 ......... DXKeeper 15.3.1

Old PC: Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) ........ JTAlert 2.12.10 ....... WSJT-X v2.0.1 7ddcb7 ........ DXKeeper 14.4.6

Any help or advice anyone can give me that might solve this problem will be greatly appreciated!!

73
James EI2IV

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 04:26 PM, <jamesei2iv@...> wrote:
[...]

+ Step-by-step configuration instructions are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert>

g4wjs

On 04/01/2020 00:10, jamesei2iv@... wrote:
[...]

Hi James,

try a system reboot, DX Lab Suite uses port numbers for network services that are in a range used by the operating system for ephemeral ports, therefore one or more may have been temporarily allocated to another application. A reboot will always fix that particular issue.

Bill

G4WJS.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 04:46 PM, g4wjs wrote:

DX Lab Suite uses port numbers for network services that are in a range used by the operating system for ephemeral ports, therefore one or more may have been temporarily allocated to another application.

+ DXLab applications that interoperate via TCP enable the user to specify any port number they wish. In DXKeeper, that done via the "Network Service" panel on the Configuration window's Defaults tab.

g4wjs

On 04/01/2020 00:50, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 04:46 PM, g4wjs wrote:

DX Lab Suite uses port numbers for network services that are in a range used by the operating system for ephemeral ports, therefore one or more may have been temporarily allocated to another application.

+ DXLab applications that interoperate via TCP enable the user to specify any port number they wish. In DXKeeper, that done via the "Network Service" panel on the Configuration window's Defaults tab.

RRR Dave,

I should have said "The default ports used by DX Lab Suite for network services are in a range used by the operating system for ephemeral ports, therefore one or more may have been temporarily allocated to another application."

Bill

G4WJS.

jamesei2iv@...

Edited

Thanks for the replies Dave & Bill,

I've been to that page several times over the past few days,  everything is working as it should be except that the Network Service Port on DXKeeper is not listening to port 52001 as it does on my old PC.

Reboot doesn't fix the problem, I have been at it for the past couple of days and it hasn't worked at all on this machine, so it  must be another problem.  I've also changed the port to 52005 and a few others on DXKeeper and clicked on restart and that changed it to match on JTAlert but it still displays "Network Service {port 0}: Not running," on DXKeeper.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and I've changed settings etc but still no joy! Yesterday I was getting a pop up error message window for a second when I clicked on "Log QSO" on WSJT-X saying something like:  Failure QSO not logged!.............. However today after I reinstalled everything that error message isn't appearing and the QSO's are in the WSJT-X log file after I click on Log QSO.

I transferred the log file and backups from DXKeeper on my old PC to the new PC and all my log looks good. The versions of all three programs are newer on the new PC, both machines have the same version of DXLab Launcher (v 1.9.7)

I only use JTAlert to log my QSOs to DXKeeper, I don't use any other of its functions, I also just use DXKeeper out of the DX Lab suite of programs.

This is the difference (problem) between both PCs, (I am retiring the old one):

New PC: "Network Service {port 0}: Not running,"

Old PC: Network Service {port 52001}: Listening

Any ideas?

I've been to that page several times over the past few days, everything is working as it should be except that the Network Service Port on DXKeeper is not listening to port 52001 as it does on my old PC.

+ Do you have the firewall and anti-malware applications on your new PC configured to consider DXKeeper "safe"? Otherwise, they can prevent DXKeeper from accepting TCP requests from JTAlert.

+ One way to check this is to reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking" (which doesn't start the firewall or anti-malware apps), start DXKeeper and JTAlert and WSXJT-X, and see if you can now log a test QSO.

* more AA6YQ comments below

I've been to that page several times over the past few days, everything is working as it should be except that the Network Service Port on DXKeeper is not listening to port 52001 as it does on my old PC.

+ Do you have the firewall and anti-malware applications on your new PC configured to consider DXKeeper "safe"? Otherwise, they can prevent DXKeeper from accepting TCP requests from JTAlert.

+ One way to check this is to reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking" (which doesn't start the firewall or anti-malware apps), start DXKeeper and JTAlert and WSXJT-X, and see if you can now log a test QSO.

* If booting Windows into "Safe mode with networking" does not enable you log a QSO (meaning the problem is a misconfigured firewall or anti-malware app), then please do the following:

1. reboot Windows normally

2. start DXKeeper

3. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "log debugging info" box

4. terminate DXKeeper

5. start DXKeeper, and wait for it to display its Main window

6. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

7. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

jamesei2iv@...

Take a bow Dave!!

+ Do you have the firewall and anti-malware applications on your new PC configured to consider DXKeeper "safe"? Otherwise, they can prevent DXKeeper from accepting TCP requests from JTAlert.

+ One way to check this is to reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking" (which doesn't start the firewall or anti-malware apps), start DXKeeper and JTAlert and WSXJT-X, and see if you can now log a test QSO.

Thank you for your help and the good news is that your advice sorted the problem!!

I had configured both my anti-virus and firewall OK but for some reason it seems I  had only half configured Malwarebytes, I had added JTAlert and WSJT-X to it's "Allow List" but not DXKeeper (DXLab) for some unknown reason, It may have been very late at the time lol

TNX again Dave!

H.Y.N, 73,

James EI2IV

g4wjs

On 04/01/2020 11:59, jamesei2iv@... wrote:
I had configured both my anti-virus and firewall OK but for some reason it seems I had only half configured Malwarebytes, I had added JTAlert and WSJT-X to it's "Allow List" but not DXKeeper (DXLab) for some unknown reason, It may have been very late at the time lol
Hi James,

the Malwarebytes premium version protects Internet service ports by monitoring traffic, if it sees traffic going to a local server that it does not know about it grabs that port and sits on it so no other applications can run a service on that port. It can be very confusing as the first packet of information will be delivered then the service trying to use the port then gets blocked by the Malwarebytes service that hijacks the port. This can be hard to trace using normal system tools as the hijacked port is held by a Windows service process that cannot be easily attributed to Malwarebytes. This strange pseudo firewall is a PITA IMHO.

Bill

G4WJS.

g4wjs

On 04/01/2020 12:21, g4wjs wrote:
[...]

BTW the diagnosis for this is to use the 'netstat -abn' command from an Administrator command prompt and check the output for the port the non-working service application is expected to be listening on. If the listening process is shown as svchost.exe then a Windows service is using the port. The final step is to move the non-working service to another free port and if that too then appears to be in use by a svchost.exe process then Malwarebytes is probably the culprit. It is as if a Windows service is stalking the non-working service!

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

+ Do you have the firewall and anti-malware applications on your new PC configured to consider DXKeeper "safe"? Otherwise, they can prevent DXKeeper from accepting TCP requests from JTAlert.

+ One way to check this is to reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking" (which doesn't start the firewall or anti-malware apps), start DXKeeper and JTAlert and WSXJT-X, and see if you can now log a test QSO.

Thank you for your help and the good news is that your advice sorted the problem!!

* Great. Enjoy your new PC!

[...]

+ Thanks, Bill! I have added your explanation and advice to a new "Additional Information" section in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

+ Given that applications like Malware Bytes are continuous evolving as their developers seek to improve them, my suggested first diagnostic step when there's any possibility that "external interference" could be responsible is to reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking". Rebooting Windows in this way enables the user to test his or her DXLab applications with no firewall and no anti-malware running -- reliably "ruling them in" or "ruling them out" as possible culprits. If the adverse behavior does not occur when Windows is booted into "Safe Mode with Networking", then the user can focus on determining which anti-malware application is responsible, and reconfigure it (or bury it in the desert while wearing globes) as appropriate.

jamesei2iv@...

Thanks for the tips Bill, It was definitely Malwarebytes was the culprit in my case. I booted in safe mode with networking  like Dave advised and tried to log a few test QSO entries and all logged correctly. Then I rebooted the PC and made sure the problem still existed, it did,  and because I remembered setting the permissions in my antivirus and firewall but just to be sure I checked and indeed I had done that correctly, I then decided to take a peek at the permissions in Malwarebytes and noticed a glaring omission "DXLab" folder  and "DXKeeper" so I added them and the problem disappeared.

73

James EI2IV