WSJT-X > Commander > FT2000 interaction

N1BUG

I am having a problem with WSJT-X > Commander > FT2000 when operating FT8 on any band or when operating Q65 on VHF/UHF EME. The issue is that the FT2000 frequency never gets changed when it should for transmitting using 'Fake It' in WSJT-X.

I am not sure where the problem lies but superficially it appears Commander is not relaying the QSY command to the FT2000 or the FT2000 is not accepting it. When WSJT-X goes to transmit, the frequency displayed in Commander changes as it should, but the FT2000 does not QSY. If I manually change frequency in WSJT-X or Commander, all works as expected.

Possibly related: I have User defined controls in Commander for various bands. Any HF band routes RF from the FT2000 to my HF amplifier. 6m routes RF to the 6m amplifier. 2m, 135cm, 70cm routes RF to the appropriate transverter. A <QSY 432100> command in the 70cm control used to QSY to 432.100 Commander / 28.100 FT2000 but now it does not. It comes up on 421,000.00 / 17,000.00 and stays there. Manual QSY from there to the proper frequency works either in Commander or from the FT2000.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I have tried using 'Rig' for split instead of 'Fake It' but then I encounter a different problem. When Commander changes frequency on VFO B it is causing a 28 MHz band assertion on the parallel port that routes RF. This causes RF routing to my HF amplifier rather than the appropriate transverter.

73,
Paul N1BUG

I am having a problem with WSJT-X > Commander > FT2000 when operating
FT8 on any band or when operating Q65 on VHF/UHF EME. The issue is that the FT2000 frequency never gets changed when it should for transmitting using 'Fake It' in WSJT-X.

+ Has this always been the case? If not, when did it first occur? What changes did you make to your hardware or software around that time?

I am not sure where the problem lies but superficially it appears Commander is not relaying the QSY command to the FT2000 or the FT2000 is not accepting it. When WSJT-X goes to transmit, the frequency displayed in Commander changes as it should, but the FT2000 does not QSY. If I manually change frequency in WSJT-X or Commander, all works as expected.

Possibly related: I have User defined controls in Commander for various bands. Any HF band routes RF from the FT2000 to my HF amplifier. 6m routes RF to the 6m amplifier. 2m, 135cm, 70cm routes RF to the appropriate transverter.

A <QSY 432100> command in the 70cm control used to QSY to 432.100 Commander / 28.100 FT2000 but now it does not. It comes up on 421,000.00 / 17,000.00 and stays there. Manual QSY from there to the proper frequency works either in Commander or from the FT2000.

+ When did this incorrect behavior first occur? What changes did you make to your hardware or software around that time?

N1BUG

*** N1BUG comments below

On 10/15/22 16:17, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I am having a problem with WSJT-X > Commander > FT2000 when
operating FT8 on any band or when operating Q65 on VHF/UHF EME. The
issue is that the FT2000 frequency never gets changed when it should
for transmitting using 'Fake It' in WSJT-X.
+ Has this always been the case? If not, when did it first occur?
What changes did you make to your hardware or software around that
time?
*** I am not absolutely certain. I was off the air for a while and was not using digital modes much prior to that. I am reasonably confident it used to work, but that was probably a year or more ago.

[...]
Again I am not certain due to a somewhat lengthy period of inactivity. No hardware changes. I no doubt upgraded Commander between the time it was working and the time it was not.

73,
Paul N1BUG

Dave AA6YQ

*** I am not absolutely certain. I was off the air for a while and was not using digital modes much prior to that. I am reasonably confident it used to work, but that was probably a year or more ago.

+ What was the last date at which you are *certain* that this functionality worked correctly? I will send you the version of Commander that was public at that time so that we can determine whether the root cause is likely a change subsequently made to Commander, or a change somewhere else.

N1BUG

Dave, Apparently this was an error on my part. I apologize. I don't know how or why it got changed, but in WSJT-X I had PTT set to a COM port instead of CAT. Changing this seems to have restored expected functionality.

73,
Paul N1BUG

On 10/15/22 16:53, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
*** I am not absolutely certain. I was off the air for a while and
was not using digital modes much prior to that. I am reasonably
confident it used to work, but that was probably a year or more ago.
+ What was the last date at which you are *certain* that this
functionality worked correctly? I will send you the version of
Commander that was public at that time so that we can determine
whether the root cause is likely a change subsequently made to
Commander, or a change somewhere else.

Dave, Apparently this was an error on my part. I apologize.

+ It's never necessary to apologize for seeking help here.

I don't know how or why it got changed, but in WSJT-X I had PTT set to a COM port instead of CAT. Changing this seems to have restored expected functionality.

+ I'm glad you got it working, Paul.