Topics

WSJT with Commander running FT8

randy7557

Hi group, I am getting an error message while running the WSJT software running FT8. Not all the time but
randomly, I get this message from WSJT "DX Lab Suite Commander, rig did not respond to PTT:On" appears when I hit transmit.  A screen comes up with selections, one being RETRY, I click on the RETRY button and in a few seconds later it is operational with the split button that changed to an orange color returns back to the green color.
I have tried everything I can think of in Commander setup, changing RTS to on, off and tx in hopes that might stop the error message but it does not.  I am running the most current version of WSJT and was not seeing this error message in any previous versions.  I even went back one version but that did not solve the problem.
May this be a bug in WSJT or am I missing a setting in Commander.

Any thoughts?, thanks, Randy K1SND

Hi group, I am getting an error message while running the WSJT software running FT8. Not all the time but randomly, I get this message from WSJT "DX Lab Suite Commander, rig did not respond to PTT:On" appears when I hit transmit. A screen comes up with selections, one being RETRY, I click on the RETRY button and in a few seconds later it is operational with the split button that changed to an orange color returns back to the green color.
I have tried everything I can think of in Commander setup, changing RTS to on, off and tx in hopes that might stop the error message but it does not. I am running the most current version of WSJT and was not seeing this error message in any previous versions. I even went back one version but that did not solve the problem.
May this be a bug in WSJT or am I missing a setting in Commander.

+ When two applications that have been interoperating successfully suddenly stop interoperating reliably, the cause may be an update to your firewall or anti-malware.

+ Are your Firewall and Anti-malware applications configured to consider Commander and WSJT-X to be "safe"?

+ What make and model transceiver are you using?

+ How is your computer connected to your transceiver? If an external interface is involved, what's its make and model?

+ In the "Primary CAT Serial Port" panel on Commander's Configuration window's Ports tab, how are the DTR and RTS selectors set?

+ In the PTT panel on the Commander's Configuration window's General tab, is the "suppress CAT" box checked?

randy7557

In a message dated 9/19/2019 1:27:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, aa6yq@... writes:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Are your Firewall and Anti-malware applications configured to consider Commander and WSJT-X to be "safe"?   Yes

+ What make and model transceiver are you using?  IC 7600

+ How is your computer connected to your transceiver? If an external interface is involved, what's its make and model? Via a MicroHAM micro KEYER

+ In the "Primary CAT Serial Port" panel on Commander's Configuration window's Ports tab, how are the DTR and RTS selectors set? OFF and OFF

+ In the PTT panel on the Commander's Configuration window's General tab, is the "suppress CAT" box checked? NO

Thanks Dave for your reply, my answers to your questions are above.  The confusing part is that the
error message comes up randomly, not every time the radio goes into transmit.  WSJT and DXLab software are working great together and then for whatever reason up comes the error message requiring me to click on retry then all is OK till the next time the error message comes up.
Randy K1SND

Dave AA6YQ

# more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

# As you have things configured, Commander is switching your transceiver between RX and TX by sending it CI-V commands. A possibility is CI-V commands are being damaged by RFI. Try reducing your RF output power; does this change the rate at which the error message appears?

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-09-19 7:20 PM, randy7557 via Groups.Io wrote:
+ How is your computer connected to your transceiver? If an external interface is involved, what's its make and model?
Via a MicroHAM micro KEYER
+ In the PTT panel on the Commander's Configuration window's General
tab, is the "suppress CAT" box checked?
NO
This *IS NOT* a good configuration. microKEYER makes use of the
*HARDWARE* PTT signal to switch the audio source from mic to sound
card and the transceiver audio connection from mic to line (ACC).

Using software PTT (CI-V commands) can result in improper operation.
*ALWAYS* define a hardware PTT port in microHAM USB Device Router
(the RTS line of the CAT port), set RTS in Commander to "X" (or TX),
and *CHECK* "Suppress CAT" as documented in the example configuration
for DXLab Suite and your microHAM interface.