Topics

Workspaces / profiles

pinoleronica

Good evening all.

I have a situation with Workspaces and using multiple rigs....here's my scenario:

I have several radios utilizing Workspaces: ICOM 7610, ICOM 9700, and Anan 7000DLE.    I have setup a DXLabLauncher.exe for each.   I place the name of the Workspace at the the end of the Target for each (Anan, icom7610, and icom9700).  So I have these three separate icons on the desktop named appropriately.    As a side note, I had to redo my Windows 10 recently and lost a bunch of settings from software of all nature.   I am recovering them little by little.  Although, I do not swear, I do remember doing the above within the Target of the Launcher icon.   Then every time I wanted use a different radio I would simply launch the one icon with that specific name.

But in doing so my issue is whenever I close one and open the next one DXLab thinks that I am still using the earlier one.   I simply go to workspaces and load the one I am trying to use.   Before it was just one click away.   I am sure I am missing something or maybe is not possible and I was just dreaming :)

Here is a link to one of example launcher icon:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al_5NCnHQyKaga1-EVA50eVelX-Mkw

Rafael / NN3RP
--

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:09 PM pinoleronica <pinoleronica@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

According to https://www.dxlabsuite.com/Launcher/Help/RegistrySettings.htm :

'If you start the Launcher via a batch file or a desktop icon,
appending the name of a Workspace to the command line will cause the
Launcher to load Windows Registry settings from that Workspace on
startup. If the name of the workspace includes spaces, enclose the
Workspace name with double-quote characters, e.g. "contest settings".'

So you weren't dreaming, at least about this ;)

What version of the Launcher is running when the above fails?

73,

~iain / N6ML

I have a situation with Workspaces and using multiple rigs....here's my scenario:

I have several radios utilizing Workspaces: ICOM 7610, ICOM 9700, and Anan 7000DLE. I have setup a DXLabLauncher.exe for each. I place the name of the Workspace at the the end of the Target for each (Anan, icom7610, and icom9700). So I have these three separate icons on the desktop named appropriately. As a side note, I had to redo my Windows 10 recently and lost a bunch of settings from software of all nature. I am recovering them little by little. Although, I do not swear, I do remember doing the above within the Target of the Launcher icon. Then every time I wanted use a different radio I would simply launch the one icon with that specific name.

But in doing so my issue is whenever I close one and open the next one DXLab thinks that I am still using the earlier one.

+ What does "close one and open the next one" mean? What are you closing and opening?

+ What does " DXLab thinks that I am still using the earlier one" mean? What indications or messages being displayed?

pinoleronica

2.1.4 is the version....thanks for clarifying my thoughts.
--
Rafael / NN3RP

pinoleronica

Dave, thanks for writing.

+ What does "close one and open the next one" mean? What are you closing and opening?

Let me be more clearer.   I have three separate icons one for each of my rigs.   The name of the workspace for each is place in the Target line in the icon's Property.   I launch Icom 7610 and play with it....then I Terminate all apps and quit Launcher as well.   Then I launch Anan via its Launcher icon....and, see below

+ What does " DXLab thinks that I am still using the earlier one" mean? What indications or messages being displayed?

When I launch Anan, the Launcher thinks that I am still using Icom 7610.   This are the indications:

Launcher Workspace Activation window popsup stating:
Anan contains no applications settings
I click Ok and what I see DX Lab Launcher displaying Icom 7610 workspace.

I have to manually go back to the Workspace and reload the Anan.

I hope this is clearer?

--
Rafael / NN3RP

Dave AA6YQ

# more AA6YQ comments below
[...]

# Its is, thanks. When you activate an Icon, you are starting an instance of the Launcher. You must close that instance of the Launcher before you can activate another icon, which will then start another instance of the Launcher.

pinoleronica

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 08:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
You must close that instance of the Launcher before you can activate another icon, which will then start another instance of the Launcher.

 Exactly is what I am doing.   I close the 1st instance completely and then launch the 2nd radio icon which starts a new Launcher...there is when it still thinks that I am using the earlier one.    Well, no worries, I can live with going back and forth to the Workspace and selecting the one instance I want.   Not a biggie....I keep on playing with it, though.
--
Rafael / NN3RP

Exactly is what I am doing.   I close the 1st instance completely and then launch the 2nd radio icon which starts a new Launcher...there is when it still thinks that I am using the earlier one.

+ So you activate an icon that starts the Launcher with Workspace A specified, and the Launcher loads settings from Workspace A and indicates that Workspace A is active.

+ Then you direct the Launcher to close your DXLab applications, and terminate the Launcher.

+ Then you activate an icon that starts the Launcher with Workspace B specified, but the Launcher loads settings from Workspace A and indicates that Workspace A is active?

+ Do I understand correctly?

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 6:25 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Exactly is what I am doing. I close the 1st instance completely and then launch the 2nd radio icon which starts a new Launcher...there is when it still thinks that I am using the earlier one.

+ So you activate an icon that starts the Launcher with Workspace A specified, and the Launcher loads settings from Workspace A and indicates that Workspace A is active.

+ Then you direct the Launcher to close your DXLab applications, and terminate the Launcher.

+ Then you activate an icon that starts the Launcher with Workspace B specified, but the Launcher loads settings from Workspace A and indicates that Workspace A is active?

+ Do I understand correctly?
It seems that this part of the problem statement may be key:

"Launcher Workspace Activation window popsup stating:
Anan contains no applications settings"

Dave, I notice that Rafael is using a non-standard path,
"C:\HAM\DXLab\Launcher". Is it possible that the feature to load a
workspace on startup is hardcoded to use the default path of
"C:\DXLab\Launcher\Workspaces"? Just a guess.....

73,

~iain / N6ML

pinoleronica

That is exactly what is going on!   and it might be the Registry is getting confused with paths as Iain states....I am in the midst of uninstalling everything, cleaning the Registry, and reloading afresh.   I need to avoid multiple paths to Workspaces.

[...]

+ By default, the "Current Workspace Folder" is the Launcher's Workspaces folder, but this can be changed the "Select Folder' button in the Launcher's Workspaces window. The "Current Workspace Folder" is displayed in the lower-left corner of the Launcher's Workspaces window.

+ When you start the Launcher with a Workspace specified as a command line argument, the Launcher looks for that Workspace in the "Current Workspace Folder".

# AA6YQ comments below

That is exactly what is going on! and it might be the Registry is getting confused with paths as Iain states....I am in the midst of uninstalling everything, cleaning the Registry, and reloading afresh. I need to avoid multiple paths to Workspaces.

+ The Registry is not getting confused. Uninstalling everything and cleaning the Windows Registry are unnecessary; doing so may create far worse problems. There are no multiple paths to Workspaces.

+ All you need do is move your ICOM 7610, ICOM 9700, and Anan 7000DLE Workspaces in the "Current Workspace Folder" specified in the lower-left corner of the Launcher's Workspaces window.

pinoleronica

Dave and all:

I did it!   Although maybe unnecessary as you mentioned, I did uninstall the program, cleanup the registry, restarted the system and reloaded everything back.   Then I recreated each of my profiles for my rigs given them the exact name as before.   I used the same icons as before....and now I can open one, use it and terminate it.   Opened the next one and used it and terminate as well.   Then go back to the first one and opened it .... now there are now issues at all.

I believe I had done what you suggested to no avail.

Thanks so much as I am back to be a happy camper!

Lesson learned:  don't mess with creating new paths to the default Workspaces home, I think.

Rafael / NN3RP