Topics

WinWarbler Soundcard plugs on new PC

Alan Swinger

Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.
Appreciate any suggestions re how to make this PC work w/ WW.
Thanks - Alan K9MBQ

Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.

+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.

+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.

73,

Dave

ART W2NRA

My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it’s 3 conductor, not 2.  When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.

73, Art, W2NRA

On Aug 21, 2018, at 1:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.

+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.

+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.

      73,

            Dave

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it’s 3 conductor, not 2. When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.

* Unless there's a choice in which one of those conductors serves as the soundcard input and another serves as the soundcard output, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations. As suggested below, it's best to use the "build-in" soundcard to convey "Windows noises" to a set of speakers, and used a dedicated external soundcard for digital mode operations.

Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.

+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.

+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:
* more AA6YQ comments below

My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it’s 3 conductor, not 2. When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.

* Unless there's a choice in which one of those conductors serves as the soundcard input and another serves as the soundcard output, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.
I think he meant three conductors in addition to the shield ("TRRS"),
which could accommodate stereo output plus mono input. There's quite a
bit of discussion about laptops with this configuration on "the
internets"....

73,

~iain / N6ML

Alan Swinger

Art - Same here but need both line and headphones out for WW, so sounds like Dave's suggestion is what I need - an external card that will handle both.

Tks - alan K9MBQ

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM, ART SEARLE via Groups.Io <w2nra@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Korevec

Amazon sells a USB "soundcard" for $7.49 and it doesn't require a
special driver. Reviews say it works fine for digital modes.

Tom AF4TD

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM, ART SEARLE via Groups.Io <w2nra=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Robie

I have tried a number of these cheap sound cards and all have worked well.

Robie - AJ4F

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:10 PM Tom Korevec <tomkorevec@...> wrote:
Amazon sells a USB "soundcard" for $7.49 and it doesn't require a
special driver. Reviews say it works fine for digital modes.

Tom  AF4TD

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:02 PM Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:

> Art - Same here but need both line and headphones out for WW, so sounds like Dave's suggestion is what I need - an external card that will handle both.
>
> Tks - alan K9MBQ
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM, ART SEARLE via Groups.Io <w2nra=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it’s 3 conductor, not 2.  When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.
>>
>> 73, Art, W2NRA
>>
>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 1:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.
>>
>> + It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.
>>
>> + I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.
>>
>>       73,
>>
>>             Dave

Dave AA6YQ

The Dell 7373 documentation describes is single audio port as "One headset (headphone and microphone combo) port".

That's not much to go on, but if this port does include both input and output signals, then a "splitter" like those offered here by Amazon might allow digital mode operation:

<https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=headphone+and+microphone+splitter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229096441816&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15380905547149672712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001879&hvtargid=kwd-304758056365&ref=pd_sl_84vfhmt6v3_b_p38>

If that's of interest, I suggest contacting Dell Technical Support to determine the exact configuration of the 7373's "headphone and microphone combo"port so you can obtain the correct "splitter".

Nonetheless, I still recommend obtaining and employing an external USB soundcard for dedicated digital mode use. It's use will prevent the inadvertent transmission of Windows-generated sounds - chimes, clicks, gasps, burps - over the air. External USB soundcards also operate in an electrically less noisy environment. I use a Behringer UCA202, which Amazon sells for $30. Better devices may have become available since I purchased it years ago.

* more AA6YQ comments below

My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it�s 3 conductor, not 2. When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.

* Unless there's a choice in which one of those conductors serves as the soundcard input and another serves as the soundcard output, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations. As suggested below, it's best to use the "build-in" soundcard to convey "Windows noises" to a set of speakers, and used a dedicated external soundcard for digital mode operations.

Alan Swinger

Tks! - Alan K9MBQ

I have tried a number of these cheap sound cards and all have worked well.

Robie - AJ4F

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 9:10 PM Tom Korevec <tomkorevec@...> wrote:
Amazon sells a USB "soundcard" for $7.49 and it doesn't require a
special driver. Reviews say it works fine for digital modes.

Tom  AF4TD

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:02 PM Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:

> Art - Same here but need both line and headphones out for WW, so sounds like Dave's suggestion is what I need - an external card that will handle both.
>
> Tks - alan K9MBQ
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM, ART SEARLE via Groups.Io <w2nra=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> My fairly new Dell Laptop an Inspiron 7373 has one plug but it’s 3 conductor, not 2.  When I plug something into it, a display pops up and gives me a choose of Mic In, Line In, Dell devices, Headphones, Headset or External Speakers. Just click on what you want.
>>
>> 73, Art, W2NRA
>>
>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 1:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.
>>
>> + It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.
>>
>> + I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.
>>
>>       73,
>>
>>             Dave

ART W2NRA

Hi Alan,

I believe you said your rig is a K3. I don’t know much about them. But I think it does have standalone PSK and RTTY.  I would think that requires an internal sound care (CODEC). I mention this because my rig, an IC-7610 (and lots of other rigs) does have an internal CODEC. I can do RTTY, digital modes and DVK SSB with only one USB cable connected between the radio and the computer. No audio cables required.

But, for the record I rarely do anything but CW.

73, Art, W2NRA
CWOPS #1955

On Aug 21, 2018, at 3:02 PM, Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:

[...]

Email Service

The K3 does NOT have a sound card. The K3s DOES.
Jack AK7O

Sent from XFINITY Connect App

[...]

Dave/all - Took your advice and bought another Sound Card - StarTech (Stereo Audio USB External Sound Card w/ SPDIF Digital audio). It installed on my Win 10 machine OK. The online site says it uses a sampling rate of 96 kHz. In addition to the USB connector for the computer, it has three 3.5 mm jacks: Mic (Mic symbol), Headphones (symbol), and SPDIF Line-Out (manual says that SPDIF/line-out and other 3.5MM Output (I assume that to be the Headphones jack(?)) cannot be used simultaneously & if they are only the other Output will be active).

So, installed the new SC, went to Config in WW and changed soundcard to the new one for recv & xmt, put the Headphones connector from the K3 into the HP jack on the Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into the Line out first, and the Mic/Other second. The result was NO signal showing in WW. Checked the Vol levels on the new SC and they were OK.

I feel dumb on this and know I am missing something.

Appreciate any and all advice and counsel!

Tks - Alan K9MBQ

>Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.
>
>+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.
>
>+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.
>
> 73,
>
> Dave

Dave/all - Took your advice and bought another Sound Card - StarTech (Stereo Audio USB External Sound Card w/ SPDIF Digital audio). It installed on my Win 10 machine OK. The online site says it uses a sampling rate of 96 kHz. In addition to the USB connector for the computer, it has three 3.5 mm jacks: Mic (Mic symbol), Headphones (symbol), and SPDIF Line-Out (manual says that SPDIF/line-out and other 3.5MM Output (I assume that to be the Headphones jack(?)) cannot be used simultaneously & if they are only the other Output will be active).

So, installed the new SC, went to Config in WW and changed soundcard to the new one for recv & xmt, put the Headphones connector from the K3 into the HP jack on the Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into the Line out first, and the Mic/Other second. The result was NO signal showing in WW. Checked the Vol levels on the new SC and they were OK.

I feel dumb on this and know I am missing something.

Appreciate any and all advice and counsel!

+ Which "Operating Mode" are you using? Did you step through

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingRTTYAudioInputLevelV78Ten>

+ or

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingAudioInputLevelV78Ten>

?

neil_zampella

Alan,

you said:   " Headphones connector from the K3 into the HP jack on the Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into the Line out first, and the Mic/Other second."

The line out (headphones/ext speaker) from the K3 should go to the line in (mic) jack on the soundcard.   The line out (speaker) from the soundcard, should go to the Mic jack on the K3.

You have them backwards, which is why you're not seeing any signals.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 9/7/2018 4:56 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
Dave/all - Took your advice and bought another Sound Card - StarTech (Stereo Audio USB External Sound Card w/ SPDIF Digital audio). It installed on my Win 10 machine OK. The online site says it uses a sampling rate of 96 kHz. In addition to the USB connector for the computer, it has three 3.5 mm jacks: Mic (Mic symbol), Headphones (symbol), and SPDIF Line-Out (manual says that SPDIF/line-out and other 3.5MM Output (I assume that to be the Headphones jack(?)) cannot be used simultaneously & if they are only the other Output will be active).

So, installed the new SC, went to Config in WW and changed soundcard to the new one for recv & xmt, put the Headphones connector from the K3 into the HP jack on the Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into the Line out first, and the Mic/Other second. The result was NO signal showing in WW. Checked the Vol levels on the new SC and they were OK.

I feel dumb on this and know I am missing something.

Appreciate any and all advice and counsel!

Tks - Alan K9MBQ

>Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack; no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.
>
>+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.
>
>+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.
>
> 73,
>
> Dave

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2018-09-07 10:31 PM, neil_zampella wrote:
The line out (headphones/ext speaker) from the K3 should go to the
line in (mic) jack on the soundcard. The line out (speaker) from the soundcard, should go to the Mic jack on the K3.
However, with the K3 you will want to use the Line Out and Line In
jacks on the back of the transceiver. Line Out goes to the "mic"
jack on the sound card and the "headphone" (or Line Out) jack on
the sound card goes to the Line In on the K3.

For digital mode (PSKxx, JTxx, FT8) select DATA_A on the K3. Select
the input using MENU:MIC SeL = Line In and adjust the mic gain for
four bars of ALC *AFTER* selecting Line In. For RTTY unless you are
using FSK, select AFSK A on the K3, select the input using MENU:MIC SEL
= Line In and adjust the mic gain for four bars of ALC *AFTER* selecting
Line In. In both cases set your power output using the PWR control and
*NOT* Line In or the sound card AF Out.

Loaded DXLab on a new Dell PC that has only a headphones 1/8 in jack;
no Mic 1/8 in jack. Current PC has two which works w/ my K3 all OK. New PC receives WW all OK w/ Jack and souncard configured for Line-In. I tried a double female adapter to the single jack, but WW is not keying the transmitter.

+ It sounds like you are saying that your PC's soundcard has only
connector that can be configured for either input or output. If that's the case, that soundcard cannot be used for digital mode operations.

+ I suggest that you acquire an outboard USB soundcard - one with
both input and output connectors. Then configure the soundcard in your PC to be the "Windows default" soundcard; that will keep Windows-generated sound from being transmitted over the air.

73,

Dave

Alan Swinger

Tks for all the help on this problem. As suggested, I had the K3 line-in & line-out plugs in the wrong jacks on the new external soundcard. Transmit and recv w/ WW and the new card appear to be working. To answer Dav'e earlier question the K3 is in the Data mode w/ AFSK selected. . . . same as I have been using on the Win 7 machine that has two jacks for the internal Soundcard.

Help greatly appreciated.

73, Alan K9MBQ

On 2018-09-07 10:31 PM, neil_zampella wrote:
> Alan,
>
> you said:   " Headphones connector from the K3 into the HP jack on the
> Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into the Line out first, and the
> Mic/Other second."
>
> The line out (headphones/ext speaker) from the K3 should go to the line
> in (mic) jack on the soundcard.   The line out (speaker) from the
> soundcard, should go to the Mic jack on the K3.
>
> You have them backwards, which is why you're not seeing any signals.
>
> Neil, KN3ILZ
>

> On 9/7/2018 4:56 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
>> Dave/all - Took your advice and bought another Sound Card - StarTech
>> (Stereo Audio USB External Sound Card w/ SPDIF Digital audio). It
>> installed on my Win 10 machine OK. The online site says it uses a
>> sampling rate of 96 kHz. In addition to the USB connector for the
>> computer, it has three 3.5 mm jacks: Mic (Mic symbol), Headphones
>> (symbol), and SPDIF Line-Out (manual says that SPDIF/line-out and
>> other 3.5MM Output (I assume that to be the Headphones jack(?)) cannot
>> be used simultaneously & if they are only the other Output will be
>> active).
>>
>> So, installed the new SC, went to Config in WW and changed soundcard
>> to the new one for recv & xmt, put the Headphones connector from the
>> K3 into the HP jack on the Startech and the Mic (Other) K3 line into
>> the Line out first, and the Mic/Other second. The result was NO signal
>> showing in WW. Checked the Vol levels on the new SC and they were OK.
>>
>> I feel dumb on this and know I am missing something.
>>
>> Appreciate any and all advice and counsel!
>>
>> Tks - Alan K9MBQ

Alan Swinger

Despite prior help I am unable to work RTTY on my K3 using the startech external soundcard (connected to a USB port) with my Win 10 PC and Winwarbler. K3 is set to Line In. K3 Line in connected to soundcard SPDF Line out; K3 Line out connected to MIC on Soundcard. I can key the transmitter from Winwarbler, but I cannot read any signals heard.
Soundcard settings in WW:
- PSK & RTTY Reception - Windows Default
- PSK & RTTY Transmit - SPDIF Interface (2-USB Advance)
- Mixer Adjust - MIC-2USB Adv
- RTTY Demod Audio Channel - Mono

K3 is in Data mode w/ AFSK selected.

Don't know what I am missing or doing wrong. Help appreciated.
Thanks - Alan K9MBQ

Joe Subich, W4TV

K3 Line Out and Line In are analog audio. They should be
connected to mic or analog Line IN an speaker or analog
line out on any sound card. The K3 can not connect to an
SPDIF (optical) connection.

If your Startech sound card is ICUSBAUDIO2D, connect the
K3 Line In to the jack marked with the headphones and
the K3 Line Out to the jack marked with the microphone.

On 2019-10-20 8:13 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
Despite prior help I am unable to work RTTY on my K3 using the startech external soundcard (connected to a USB port) with my Win 10 PC and Winwarbler. K3 is set to Line In. K3 Line in connected to soundcard SPDF Line out; K3 Line out connected to MIC on Soundcard. I can key the transmitter from Winwarbler, but I cannot read any signals heard.
Soundcard settings in WW:
- PSK & RTTY Reception - Windows Default
- PSK & RTTY Transmit - SPDIF Interface (2-USB Advance)
- Mixer Adjust - MIC-2USB Adv
- RTTY Demod Audio Channel - Mono
K3 is in Data mode w/ AFSK selected.
Don't know what I am missing or doing wrong. Help appreciated.
Thanks - Alan K9MBQ

Alan Swinger

Tks, Joe. Transmit works OK, but need an RTTY sig to check Recv. Have Soundcard setting for Receive on MIC (Realtech audio) (vice Windows Default audio or MIC (2-usb adv audio)) - waiting to chk w/ a signal. - Alan K9MBQ