WinWarbler problems with RTTY LOW tones (915Hz)


Gordon LaPoint
 

I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

AFSK or FSK?

Did you set "Optimal Offset" in WinWarbler -> Config -> RTTY to 1000?


73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-11 9:07 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO


Gordon LaPoint
 

Joe,
    FSK, and yes I set the Optimal Offset to 1000
The FSK worked fine with WriteLog using 2tone and MMTTY, but that is a different display than WinWarbler.
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

On 10/11/2021 9:29 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

AFSK or FSK?

Did you set "Optimal Offset" in WinWarbler -> Config -> RTTY to 1000?


73,

   ... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-11 9:07 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO


Gordon LaPoint
 

I also have "WinWarbler MultiRadio" setup and have the K4 radio position (radio 4) set to Mark Offset of -915 and Optimal Offset set to 1000.
Gordon - N1MGO

On 10/11/2021 9:29 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

AFSK or FSK?

Did you set "Optimal Offset" in WinWarbler -> Config -> RTTY to 1000?


73,

   ... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-11 9:07 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO




Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.
+ So that I can see what's going on, please make a screen shot of WinWarbler's Main window with the "Operating Mode" set to RTTY, and a screen shot showing the RTTY tab of WinWarbler's Configuration window. Attach both screen shots to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

      73,

             Dave, AA6YQ


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
I also have "WinWarbler MultiRadio" setup and have the K4 radio position (radio 4) set to Mark Offset of -915 and Optimal Offset set to 1000.
+ When configuring DXLab to support a new transceiver, it is best to ignore MultiRadio support in Commander and WinWarbler until you have all functionality with the radio working correctly when it's directly selected Commander.

       73,

              Dave, AA6YQ


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Gordon,

Try grabbing the "Horiz Pos" slider (lower right just above the right
end of the "waterfall") and sliding left/right to center 1000 Hz (or
"mark + 85 Hz") in the display. If "Horiz zoom" is "1" the 915/1085
Hz tones will be shifted to the left as the display is actually
*AUDIO FREQUENCY* from 0 - 4000 Hz.

For RTTY, I generally leave "Horiz Zoom" = 4 with "Horiz Pos" set to
center the two tones (915/1085 in your case) in the display.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-11 10:17 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
Joe,
    FSK, and yes I set the Optimal Offset to 1000
The FSK worked fine with WriteLog using 2tone and MMTTY, but that is a different display than WinWarbler.
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO
On 10/11/2021 9:29 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

AFSK or FSK?

Did you set "Optimal Offset" in WinWarbler -> Config -> RTTY to 1000?


73,

   ... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-11 9:07 AM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
I have a new Elecraft K4 that I just used with WriteLog to do the Makrothen RTTY contest this last weekend. It worked fine, but I have to use LOW tones (915Hz) because of a bug in firmware with HIGH tones (2125Hz).  When I setup WinWarbler this morning to use the K4 with LOW tones it appears to work correctly, but the waterfall at the bottom of the WinWarbler screen is set off to the right of the screen, on the edge.  I did change all of the MMTTY settings to the LOW tones, including the defaults in the userpara.ini.   Is there some other place I forgot to change the tone frequency?  2Tone was also set for low tones and displays correctly.

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO


Gordon LaPoint
 

On 10/11/2021 14:10 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Gordon,

Try grabbing the "Horiz Pos" slider (lower right just above the right
end of the "waterfall") and sliding left/right to center 1000 Hz (or
"mark + 85 Hz") in the display.  If "Horiz zoom" is "1" the 915/1085
Hz tones will be shifted to the left as the display is actually
*AUDIO FREQUENCY* from 0 - 4000 Hz.

For RTTY, I generally leave "Horiz Zoom" = 4 with "Horiz Pos" set to
center the two tones (915/1085 in your case) in the display.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,

   Thanks, with the Horz zoom set to 4 and the Horiz pan in the center the waterfall is off the display to the right, the pan all the way to the right I can get the waterfall on the display, but 4 is too big to be useful to me. With High tones (2125Hz) the display was centered with zoom=2 and pan centered.  I expected the same with everything set to low tones (915)  .

With zoom set to 1 the display is still shifted to the right, but is on the screen of WinWarbler.

I'm using FSK set for LSB

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Thanks, with the Horz zoom set to 4 and the Horiz pan in the center the waterfall is off the display to the right,
Do you have your MARK OFFSET = -915? The - is important.

the pan all the way to the right I can get the waterfall on the
display, but 4 is too big to be useful to me.
"4" sets the waterfall width to just over 1 KHz (~1200 Hz). Can't
see much outside that with a 500 Hz filter anyway.

With Horiz zoom = 4 and Horiz pos fully left one click on the right
arrow for Horiz pos buts 915 Hz (mark) almost dead center of the
waterfall. With Horiz Zoom at 2, the waterfall is ~2020 Hz wide
(100 - 2120 Hz) with 1100 Hz in the center with Horiz pos fully to
the left - but with a Horiz Zoom = 2 there is no ability to move
the center frequency below 1200 Hz (with Horiz Zoom = 1, Horiz pos
is grayed out since the entire 4 KHz audio passband is displayed).

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-11 2:43 PM, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
On 10/11/2021 14:10 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Gordon,

Try grabbing the "Horiz Pos" slider (lower right just above the right
end of the "waterfall") and sliding left/right to center 1000 Hz (or
"mark + 85 Hz") in the display.  If "Horiz zoom" is "1" the 915/1085
Hz tones will be shifted to the left as the display is actually
*AUDIO FREQUENCY* from 0 - 4000 Hz.

For RTTY, I generally leave "Horiz Zoom" = 4 with "Horiz Pos" set to
center the two tones (915/1085 in your case) in the display.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,
   Thanks, with the Horz zoom set to 4 and the Horiz pan in the center the waterfall is off the display to the right, the pan all the way to the right I can get the waterfall on the display, but 4 is too big to be useful to me. With High tones (2125Hz) the display was centered with zoom=2 and pan centered.  I expected the same with everything set to low tones (915)  .
With zoom set to 1 the display is still shifted to the right, but is on the screen of WinWarbler.
I'm using FSK set for LSB
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO


Gordon LaPoint
 

On 10/11/2021 15:09 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Thanks, with the Horz zoom set to 4 and the Horiz pan in the center the waterfall is off the display to the right,
Do you have your MARK OFFSET = -915?  The - is important.

the pan all the way to the right I can get the waterfall on the
display, but 4 is too big to be useful to me.
"4" sets the waterfall width to just over 1 KHz (~1200 Hz).  Can't
see much outside that with a 500 Hz filter anyway.

With Horiz zoom = 4 and Horiz pos fully left one click on the right
arrow for Horiz pos buts 915 Hz (mark) almost dead center of the
waterfall.  With Horiz Zoom at 2, the waterfall is ~2020 Hz wide
(100 - 2120 Hz) with 1100 Hz in the center with Horiz pos fully to
the left - but with a Horiz Zoom = 2 there is no ability to move
the center frequency below 1200 Hz (with Horiz Zoom = 1, Horiz pos
is grayed out since the entire 4 KHz audio passband is displayed).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV
Joe,

   Thanks for the info, my MARK offset = -915, still not working the way you describe.  I will re-do all the settings and try again.

Just worked S9OK on 20Mtr rtty, split of course, and it worked fine, just used 2tone to monitor the tuning instead mmtty.

Gordon - N1MGO