WinWarbler behavior on FSK

Jeff, K6JW

I’m seeing some behavior with WinWarbler that I can’t explain or resolve, so I hope someone can offer a bit of help. I’m trying to run it on FSK. If I boot into it and set all the parameters for FSK, it runs just fine. If I then boot Commander (or Commander with any or all of the other DXLab modules), WW no longer places the radio into transmit but will display a macro or typed message onscreen. It will also change the mode on the radio from RTTY-L to USB. If I close both WW and Commander and then re-boot WW, it comes up with the configuration reset to AFSK. I have to re-select FSK, re-enter EXTFSK64, and switch the radio back to RTTY-L to get it to run again. Configuration settings seem to match those described in the help files and match those in other online resources. The computer is running WIN 10 and the radio is a Yaesu FTdx-101MP. I could definitely use some advice here. Thanks in advance.

--Jeff

[...]

+ WinWarbler uses Commander to control your transceiver, so Commander should already be running when you change WinWarbler's "operating mode" to RTTY. Step-by-step instructions for RTTY FSK operation are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection

Jeff, K6JW

Thanks Dave, but I had already followed the instructions on that web page. The radio is a Yaesu FTdx-101MP. With the required Silicon Labs Dual CP2105 driver from Yaesu I get two ports for the USB port on the radio: COM 10 (standard) and COM 12 (enhanced). When MMTTY is run as a standalone with EXTFSK64 and COM10, RTTY runs fine. When I try to run WinWarbler with Commander, I get a Port 10 not available error message. The same is true (as expected) if I try to run it on COM 12.  The RS-232 port on the radio is also in use, running on COM 14. I get a port error if I try to run WinWarbler there, too. Those three ports are the only ones active between the PC and the radio. Finally, it should be noted that wsjt-x runs normally with its Commander interface. This leads me to conclude that the problem needing resolution is related to a porting issue. Also, again, any rebooting of WinWarbler has it coming up defaulting back to the AFSK setup on the RTTY tab in WW's configuration screen, forcing me to reset it for FSK and re-select EXTFSK74. Why it's not holding settings is also puzzling.
--Jeff

Dave AA6YQ

Helping a friend put up a Sat antenna, so will be brief. Configure WinWarbler to use Commander for PTT instead of it using COM10.

Dr AA6YQ

Thanks Dave, but I had already followed the instructions on that web page. The radio is a Yaesu FTdx-101MP. With the required Silicon Labs Dual CP2105 driver from Yaesu I get two ports for the USB port on the radio: COM 10 (standard) and COM 12 (enhanced). When MMTTY is run as a standalone with EXTFSK64 and COM10, RTTY runs fine. When I try to run WinWarbler with Commander, I get a Port 10 not available error message. The same is true (as expected) if I try to run it on COM 12.  The RS-232 port on the radio is also in use, running on COM 14. I get a port error if I try to run WinWarbler there, too. Those three ports are the only ones active between the PC and the radio. Finally, it should be noted that wsjt-x runs normally with its Commander interface. This leads me to conclude that the problem needing resolution is related to a porting issue

+ On the PTT tab of WinWarbler's Configuration window, set the Mode panel to "Xcvr Ctrl App" and the Port panel to None. Configured in this way, WinWarbler will use direct Commander to switch your transceiver between RX and TX without WinWarbler using a COM port.

Jeff, K6JW

I have WinWarbler configured per your instructions with EXTFSK64 and Port setting = NONE. The interface with Commander is now at least partially intact. Radio transmit control is established but no meaningful data is being transmitted, only seemingly random characters. The small MMTTY EXTFSK window still shows COM 10 with FSK output on DTR and PTT on RTS. No other port setting in this window functions. I get error messages for serial COM 14 and USB enhanced COM 12. I think I still have some sort of porting problem.

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-10 6:06 PM, Jeff, K6JW wrote:
Radio transmit control is established but no meaningful data is being transmitted, only seemingly random characters.
You may need to set the FTdx101 ModeRTTY Polarity TX to REV or check
the "INV FSK" box in EXTFSK/EXXTFSK64.

On 2021-10-10 6:06 PM, Jeff, K6JW wrote:
I have WinWarbler configured per your instructions with EXTFSK64 and Port setting = NONE. The interface with Commander is now at least partially intact. Radio transmit control is established but no meaningful data is being transmitted, only seemingly random characters. The small MMTTY EXTFSK window still shows COM 10 with FSK output on DTR and PTT on RTS. No other port setting in this window functions. I get error messages for serial COM 14 and USB enhanced COM 12. I think I still have some sort of porting problem.

I have WinWarbler configured per your instructions with EXTFSK64 and Port setting = NONE.

+ My instructions were " On the PTT tab of WinWarbler's Configuration window, set the Mode panel to "Xcvr Ctrl App" and the Port panel to None."

+ EXTFSK64 should be configured to use whichever COM port and modem control signal your transceiver documentation specifies for conveying the FSK signal. As Joe W4TV points out, it may be necessary to configure WinWarbler to invert this signal, some transceivers transmit Mark tones with the incoming FSK signal is asserted, and others transmit Space tones when the FSK signal is asserted.

The interface with Commander is now at least partially intact. Radio transmit control is established but no meaningful data is being transmitted, only seemingly random characters.

+ Commander has nothing to do with sending RTTY data. EXTFSK64 does that.

+ Which COM port is Commander using to control your transceiver?

+ On which modem control signal of which COM port is your transceiver expecting to receive the FSK signal?

+ Did you try configuring WinWarbler to invert the FSK signal as Joe W4TV suggested? Sadly, there is no standard for the polarity of this signal.

Jeff, K6JW

Yes, I have followed all instructions as outlined by you, including trying inverting FSK. The functioning Commander link is on COM 14 via the RS-232 port.The radio responds by going into transmit via its USB port on COM 10, the standard port loaded by the Silicon Labs driver from Yaesu. The enhanced port from that driver is on COM 12, also via the USB port, and unless I misunderstand how things are working, data should be transferred via that port but attempts to get Commander to link the radio via the USB port on COM 12 and with the RS-232 port disconnected are met by a port error message.
So, the current status is that I can get the radio to go into transmit using WinWarbler, but it appears that data (or, at least, meaningful data) is not getting from the computer into the radio. Finally, I mention again that I can run FSK using MMTTY freestanding with no problems.
--Jeff, K6JW

Yes, I have followed all instructions as outlined by you, including trying inverting FSK. The functioning Commander link is on COM 14 via the RS-232 port.The radio responds by going into transmit via its USB port on COM 10, the standard port loaded by the Silicon Labs driver from Yaesu.
+ What does "The radio responds by going into transmit via its USB port on COM 10" mean?

The enhanced port from that driver is on COM 12, also via the USB port, and unless I misunderstand how things are working, data should be transferred via that port but attempts to get Commander to link the radio via the USB port on COM 12 and with the RS-232 port disconnected are met by a port error message.
+ If you have Commander configured to control the radio via the RS-232 port (COM 14), then you should not disconnect this port! If you disconnect it, Commander will not be able to switch your transceiver between RX and TX at WinWarbler's request.
So, the current status is that I can get the radio to go into transmit using WinWarbler, but it appears that data (or, at least, meaningful data) is not getting from the computer into the radio. Finally, I mention again that I can run FSK using MMTTY freestanding with no problems/

+ Since WinWarbler uses MMTTY for RTTY transmission, it too will work correctly when properly configured. When you run MMTTY standalone, what port and modem control signal do you have EXTFSK configured to utilize?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Jeff,

Look at the information on using the SCU-17
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/YaesuSCU-17>

The FTdx101 is another of those transceivers with the SCU-17
functionality built in like FTd3000, FT-991 (and others).

In the case of the FTdx101 there does not appear to be a "PC Keying"
or "Data In" selection in the menu structure. However, you will want
to set all of the "RPTT SELECT" (MODE PSK/DATA, MODE RTTY, MODE SSB,
MODE AM, MODE FM) to RTS. You will need to experiment with EXTFSK
to see if TxD or DTR will provide the FSK signal (there is no menu
setting in the FTdx101) and set EXTFSK to use RTS for PTT.

I can not tell if the FTdx101 can use USB for FSK as there is no
information on FSK via USB in the operating Manual and I have no
access to an FTdx101 for testing.

On 2021-10-11 2:38 PM, Jeff, K6JW wrote:
[...]

+ Jeff, if you've successfully configured standalone MMTTY to transmit RTTY FSK, then you should already know how to configure EXTFSK.

Jeff, K6JW

I do, and that configuration carries over to WinWarbler. I've tried every suggested setting and multiple combinations and permutations. I still get garbage as output. Honestly, I have no idea where to go from here. Most of what's been suggested I had already tried without success but tried again just in case I had missed something, and apparently I hadn't. At this point, I need to drop back and think about this some more.
Thanks for trying to help, but nothing new is being suggested and nothing so far has worked. Incidentally, I've worked through every one of the relevant settings here with someone who's up and running with precisely the setup I have, and he's got no problems with it. So, something unusual is accounting for this and I just need to find it.
--Jeff, K6JW

I do, and that configuration carries over to WinWarbler. I've tried every suggested setting and multiple combinations and permutations. I still get garbage as output. Honestly, I have no idea where to go from here. Most of what's been suggested I had already tried without success but tried again just in case I had missed something, and apparently I hadn't. At this point, I need to drop back and think about this some more.
Thanks for trying to help, but nothing new is being suggested and nothing so far has worked. Incidentally, I've worked through every one of the relevant settings here with someone who's up and running with precisely the setup I have, and he's got no problems with it. So, something unusual is accounting for this and I just need to find it.

+ Try RTTY FSK using the instance of MMTTY in your WinWarbler folder standalone. What happens?

Jeff, K6JW

WinWarbler runs perfectly as a standalone. So, the question now is how to get it to run with Commander.
--Jeff, K6JW

WinWarbler runs perfectly as a standalone. So, the question now is how to get it to run with Commander.

+ You’re reporting that the instance of MMTTY in your WinWarbler folder works correctly, correct?

+ If so, please start that instance again, open the EXTFSK window, make a screen shot, attach the screen shot to an email message, and send the email message to me via

AA6YQ (at) ambersoft.com

Dave

Jeff, K6JW

Yes, that's correct. WinWarbler runs as a standalone with the MMTTY settings set through the application. I'll send you the screen shot in the morning. Thanks, Dave.

Yes, that's correct. WinWarbler runs as a standalone with the MMTTY settings set through the application. I'll send you the screen shot in the morning.
+ When you start MMTTY.exe in your WinWarbler folder, WinWarbler does not run; only MMTTY is running. I want to compare the EXTFSK settings you're using when running MMTTY standalone with the EXTFSK settings you're using when you're running WinWarbler.