Windows 11

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I see this morning that W11 will not install on any processor that is not at least an 8th generation I assume that means W10 will stay with us and that DXLab will live on with my 3rd generation processor, right? 😊

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

I see this morning that W11 will not install on any processor that is not at least an 8th generation I assume that means W10 will stay with us

+ That's Microsoft's call.

and that DXLab will live on with my 3rd generation processor, right?

+ The last time I checked, DXLab applications could still run on Windows 98.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

The currently published "retirement" date for Windows 10 is 2025-10-14.

The current guess for Windows 11 general availability is "October 2021".

If you are concerned/upset/excited about W11, go here
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 and click "Download latest
stable release" and run it. That will tell you if your system meets
*today's* list of W11 requirements.

SO FAR, my particular CPU is "not supported" (only non-green box on
the tool). I expect that this will change before (or even after) W11
ships and if it *doesn't*, I am likely to have replaced the system by
the time of W10's "retirement" anyway given that it's approaching 4
years old.

IOW, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Besides, 50 MHz
is still quite open, so my time is better spent adding grids.

Al Groff

FWIW..
  DXLAB and my other ham apps have been running without any issue unique to Windows 11.

BUT your mileage may vary!  And Windows 11 could still change before release.

AL, K0VM

On 7/19/2021 12:57 PM, Peter Laws / N5UWY wrote:
The currently published "retirement" date for Windows 10 is 2025-10-14.

The current guess for Windows 11 general availability is "October 2021".

If you are concerned/upset/excited about W11, go here
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 and click "Download latest
stable release" and run it. That will tell you if your system meets
*today's* list of W11 requirements.

SO FAR, my particular CPU is "not supported" (only non-green box on
the tool). I expect that this will change before (or even after) W11
ships and if it *doesn't*, I am likely to have replaced the system by
the time of W10's "retirement" anyway given that it's approaching 4
years old.

IOW, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Besides, 50 MHz
is still quite open, so my time is better spent adding grids.

Ed W2LCQ

Great focus Dave. Thanks for those replies.

73, de Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club
BUG CWops SKCC FISTS LICWC QCWA

On Jul 19, 2021, at 2:08 PM, Al Groff via groups.io <al.k0vm=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Two things. First I got 2 copies of this post but one had no text. They came at the same time. Very strange.
As for W11, my worry is not the possibility of trouble with W11 and the coding tools used buy Dave. So far it seems there is o problem.

My worry is that when W10 support ends I will be out of luck since I cannot switch to W11 under the 3rd gen processor in this machine. Everything I have is running well and do not wat to be forced to buy a new machine. If the current information that you will need an 8th gen processor to run W11 is true it is a worry. On the other hand I would not be surprised if things force me to buy new machines. At least it is 4 years away you say.