Windows 10 Port (com & LPT) vanished

Don's know where to put this issue - In involves Windows to totally removing the Port (com & LPT) setting within Device Manager. No Matter what is done to the PC the Device Manager "Port (COM & LPT)" remains gone.

Chain of events. Sunday Evening I fired up the FT-991A along with wsjt-x and JTAlert. I worked a couple of station, but was tired so shup the radio down, then shut down the PC, same order of events as always, Then went to bed.
Monday, after working at the PC most of the day (working with HRDLog that get qsl's caught up. That evening I fired up the radio and wsjt-x/JTAlert, bam big red flag that the wsjt-x would not connect to the radio. Checked the setting and found that
for the radio port there was on USB listed (no com ports of any kind). No mater what I tried, there was no way to connect to the radio. I check into the PC, and could not find any com ports in device manager. I gave up and went to bed. Today I spent several hours trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it. Found nothing. This after noon, I called ACER (PC is a 6 week on ACER Aspire under 3 year warranty). Tech support had never heard any any events like what I presented. There initial solution after other attempts failed, was to use the PC reset function and reset the PC back to the original factory Windows 10 install as it appeared what I bought it. That only took about 40 minutes. But those 40 mins just to al my total frustration, since the problem remained.

Since this is obviously a Windows problem, thought it would throw it out to the world and see if I could catch me a very big Window 10 SME (Subject Matter Enthusiast). I would think that there has to be at least one other unornate OLD man out there that has run into this problem and has the magic solution!

Any takers?

Very grateful for  any assistance
73 and have a Great DX day.

de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson
--
Mike
KE5WCT

Ed W2LCQ

In the past two weeks Windows 10 offered me 2 updates which I accepted and downloaded and installed. I’ve had no problems. Is it possible assuming you made or did not make  those updates and afterward your problems occurred? I have a Dell Latitude 7840 machine 3 years old with 16 MB RAM. I use DXL with WSJT-X and N1MM+

73, de Ed Jones W2LCQ

Frankford Radio Club
BUG CWops SKCC FISTS LICWC QCWA

On Jul 20, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@...> wrote:

[...]

When I checked the update history, the last MS update was last week on the 14th. The problem started after 10pm locat (0300Z) on the 18th . I will be back on the phone to ACER in the morning. not looking forward to talking to support tech's all day!
But that is easier and less expensive than a replacement.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:19 PM Ed W2LCQ via groups.io <w2lcq=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

Bruce N7XGR

Mike,  Did you unplug the USB cable and plug it back in with the 991 turned on?
Was there the usual Windoze beeps to indicate this unplug to plug back in?

Bruce  N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:50 AM Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@...> wrote:
[...]

g4wjs

On 21/07/2021 02:16, Michael E Wilson Sr wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike,

I believe the Windows Device Manager tree categories only appear if there are one or more devices within them. So this may not be a general Windows issue, but perhaps there is no usable driver for the devices. In that case you should see another entry somewhere else (probably under Universal Serial Bus) with a a warning triangle and yellow exclamation mark, showing that an unrecognized device was detected.

Bill

G4WJS.

Norm - KC1BMD

Edited

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 09:16 PM, Michael E Wilson Sr wrote:
Windows to totally removing the Port (com & LPT) setting within Device Manager.
It could be they are disabled in the BIOS but you can check that later. First I would go to Device Manager (in Control Panel, or just start typing Device Manager in the Windows search and select it when you see it recognized). Click in the Dev-Mgr tree somewhere (e.g. highest level). Click Action at the top and select Add legacy hardware in the drop-down list. This will step you through a Wizard where you can select, among other things, ports to be added (e.g. COM, LPT, etc). If you don't see the manufacturer listed, just choose "standard". Maybe that will help.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe Subich, W4TV

This is probably not the right forum for an issue of this kind.

Since this is obviously a Windows problem, thought it would throw
it out to the world and see if I could catch me a very big Window
10 SME (Subject Matter Enthusiast).
This is *not* "obviously a Windows problem". 1) have you tried
connecting the USB cable to a different (USB) port on the computer?
2) have you tried connecting the radio to a different computer?
3) have you tried using a different USB cable?

Is the radio turned on? Most radio USB ports are powered by the
radio and disappear if the radio is off. Have you double checked
the cable to confirm that it is *fully* connected at both ends?

In the Windows realm: 1) Have you enabled hidden devices in Device
Manager (View -> Show Hidden Devices)? 2) have you tried reloading
the USB driver from Yaesu? Disconnect the USB cable, follow the
manufacturer's instructions for loading the driver as if it was new.

On Jul 20, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@gmail.com
<mailto:ke5wct@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

No, I always insure the radio and P/S are off when dealing with the USB cable. and No there is no longer the normal DA-DI when turning the P/S on or the DI-DA when turning it off. I thought maybe the problem was related to PNP since that is what makes the audio announcement when you plug a device into the pc. So I plugged a thumb drive into a spare usb port, The device appear, but there was no audio announcement.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 1:08 AM Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, did that (several times) trying different manufacturer devices. The Port appeared but nothing was usable. I even used the SIlicon Labs driver and tried to update it with the download from Yaesu. Nothing has worked so far.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 7:59 AM Norm - KC1BMD <noka@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 09:16 PM, Michael E Wilson Sr wrote:
Windows to totally removing the Port (com & LPT) setting within Device Manager.
It could be they are disabled in the BIOS but you can check that later. First I would go to Device Manager (in Control Panel, or just start typing Device Manager in the Windows search and select it hen you see it recognized). Click in the Dev-Mgr tree somewhere (e.g. highest level). Click Action at the top and select Add legacy hardware in the drop-down list. This will step you through a Wizard where you can select, among other things, ports to be added (e.g. COM, LPT, etc). If you don't see the manufacturer listed, just choose "standard". Maybe that will help.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

Thanks for the response:
1) I have tried all of the USB ports
2) don't have another computer
3) have used all of my USB cables

Note: The FT-991A internal device (SCU-17) gets its power directly from the Power Supply connected to the radio. When the P/S is turned on, at least when everything was working normally, the com port was connected (even with the radio off).

In the window's real:
1) the show hidden devices is enabled - nothing changes
2) reloading the drivers per Yaesu procedure, they appear to load but nothing changes.

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

Bruce N7XGR

Mike,  The main ingredient is a 4 port USB hub inside of the 991.
The CODEC IC and the UART com port IC connects to it.  I believe that there
are 2 com ports, a standard and an enhanced, and so a 4 port
hub is needed.
With Device Manager open expand the USB controllers tree with the USB cable
unplugged, now plug it in and observe if this list changes by one.
If it does not then the 4 port hub is dead.

Bruce  N7XGR

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

g4wjs

On 21/07/2021 18:33, Bruce N7XGR wrote:
Mike,  The main ingredient is a 4 port USB hub inside of the 991.
The CODEC IC and the UART com port IC connects to it.  I believe that there
are 2 com ports, a standard and an enhanced, and so a 4 port
hub is needed.
With Device Manager open expand the USB controllers tree with the USB cable
unplugged, now plug it in and observe if this list changes by one.
If it does not then the 4 port hub is dead.

Bruce  N7XGR

Bruce,

you are confusing USB ports and USB endpoints. I doubt there is a USB hub in the FT-991A, it is more likely a single device with multiple endpoints for audio in, audio out, and a pair of serial ports.

Bill

G4WJS.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

I have a modern PC so no serial or parallel ports. I do have serial
adapters plugged in for older radios and cables (that have DE-9s on
them) for some newer radios so plenty of COM ports all, it seems with
different drivers. I got rid of my last printer with a Centronics
port a while ago, so really don't need the USB adapter for that any
more (worked a treat, BTW). And then there are multiple USB sound
devices.

But all are currently working and none have disappeared lately.

For tracking down USB issues, I use these two dudes in addition to
Windows Device Manager and "Settings":

USB Tree Viewer -- https://www.uwe-sieber.de/english.html -- I like
the way it labels the trees.

USBDeview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Both are "portable" apps that don't need installing.

Oh, and I run a batch file that looks like this for Device Manager:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

It would be nice if a USB device presented itself to the OS the same
way regardless of which "universal" port it was plugged into, but
that's not how things work, at least in Windows.

Bruce N7XGR

It shows up in the USB controllers tree as a USB Composite Device
and is indicated in location as, Port_#0003.Hub_#0001.
Regardless, if this device is bad then no CODEC or com ports.
This TI chip is inside of my IC7610,
It is a 4 port USB hub, unknown what IC is used in the 991A.

Bruce  N7XGR

On 2021-07-21 1:46 PM, g4wjs wrote:

you are confusing USB ports and USB endpoints. I doubt there is a USB
hub in the FT-991A, it is more likely a single device with multiple
endpoints for audio in, audio out, and a pair of serial ports.
Bill,

I do not know of any device that implements a USB CODEC and dual port
UART in the same chip. Since Yaesu use the Sierra dual port USB to
Serial Bridge, I suspect they are also using a standard Burr Brown (TI)
USB Codec like Icom, Kenwood and Elecraft (K3S). With the Burr-Brown
CODEC and Sierra dual port USB to Serial Bridge, one would need a USB
Hub with at least two ports (but four port hubs are generally the same
cost).

73,

... Joe

On 2021-07-21 1:46 PM, g4wjs wrote:
On 21/07/2021 18:33, Bruce N7XGR wrote:
Mike, The main ingredient is a 4 port USB hub inside of the 991.
The CODEC IC and the UART com port IC connects to it.  I believe that there
are 2 com ports, a standard and an enhanced, and so a 4 port
hub is needed.
With Device Manager open expand the USB controllers tree with the USB cable
unplugged, now plug it in and observe if this list changes by one.
If it does not then the 4 port hub is dead.

Bruce N7XGR
Bruce,
you are confusing USB ports and USB endpoints. I doubt there is a USB hub in the FT-991A, it is more likely a single device with multiple endpoints for audio in, audio out, and a pair of serial ports.

Joe Subich, W4TV

OK,

1) Do you see a "Generic USB Hub" in the "Universal Serial Bus
controllers" section of Device Manager that appears when you
connect the USB cable between the transceiver to computer and
disappears when you disconnect the USB cable?

2) Do you see a "USB AUDIO CODEC" in the "Sound, video and game
controllers" section of Device Manager that appears when you
connect the USB cable between transceiver and computer and
disappears when you disconnect the USB cable?

3) Did you have a thunderstorm or power surge event overnight
when the serial port "disappeared?" Were both the computer
and transceiver/power supply connected at the time? Was an
antenna connected to the radio and/or the radio connected to
an external ground rod? Is the negative terminal of the power
supply connected to the power line "ground pin"?

4) Do you have any other USB device that you can connect to the
computer? If so, does it work correctly when you connect it to
the port that does not work with the radio?

Thanks for the response:

On 2021-07-21 1:46 PM, g4wjs wrote:

you are confusing USB ports and USB endpoints. I doubt there is a USB
hub in the FT-991A, it is more likely a single device with multiple
endpoints for audio in, audio out, and a pair of serial ports.
Bill,

I do not know of any device that implements a USB CODEC and dual port
UART in the same chip.  Since Yaesu use the Sierra dual port USB to
Serial Bridge, I suspect they are also using a standard Burr Brown (TI)
USB Codec like Icom, Kenwood and Elecraft (K3S).  With the Burr-Brown
CODEC and Sierra dual port USB to Serial Bridge, one would need a USB
Hub with at least two ports (but four port hubs are generally the same
cost).

73,

   ... Joe
Hi Joe,

it would seem so, the FT991A uses a USB hub controller (Microchip USB2512B). It seems modern rigs are no longer USB devices but are USB multi-function devices.

Bill

G4WJS.

Thanks for your reply:
1) there is a Generic Hub that appears and disappears when the Radio Power supply is turned on or off.
2) There is a USB Audio Codec in the Sound,Video and game controllers, and in the
 audio input and output there is a microphone USB audio Codec and a speaker USB audio Codec.
3 there were no storms that night. There had been one two nights before (Friday), I used the radio on Sat and Sun,
But Monday it was dead.
4) I plugged a USB thumb drive and a flatbed scanner into the port normally used by the Radio and both
worked normally, also tested all the other usb ports  with the scanner and usb drive, which was good.
But with the radio nothing happens regardless of which port is used.

Talked to ACER Tech support again this morning and after two hours of waiting while they researched and conferred, they suggested
I call Yaesu support?

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

Forgot to mention that, during storms, all of the equipment is disconnected from the AC power source. In normal mode everything is connected to
a UPS unit. Everything is grounded to my ground bus, which is tied to the outside ground rod.

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
Mike
KE5WCT

Yes the FT-991A has a build in SCU-17. It is powered directly from the power connector in the back of the radio and not from the radio power switch. If the usb is connected to the PC, and you turn the Power Supply (Yaesu FP-1030A in my case)
the computer 'see's the USB device and opens the Ports (Com & LPT) for access to the silab driven com ports ( one is standard and one is enhanced). These are the two ports that need to be used both wsjt-x DXCommander, HR deluxe, and all the other
software to interface to the radio. If I  had another device that required "Com Port '' connection that I could try that out. I don't, but my son in law is going to bring his laptop around and let me try to connect to it.