Windows 10 and S mode

Charlie

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well).  I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.  Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app.  What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble.  Please comment.  Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie

Peter Laws / N5UWY

S Mode is a one way trip opposite of the Hotel California - you can
leave, but you can never check back in. Third question down here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 2:25 PM Charlie via groups.io
<WA3KVN=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well). I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active. Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app. What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble. Please comment. Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well). I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.

+ " Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

+ I don't know.

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app. What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble. Please comment.

+ Since you're the first user to ever mention "mode S" since Windows 10 was first released, and since you're the first user to express interest in the Microsoft Store, I doubt there'd be a noticeable impact, much less a "coup". My strategy is minimize dependencies on Microsoft beyond the Windows API and user interface, and the Jet database engine.

+ Furthermore, Microsoft is replacing the current Microsoft Store with something new:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/building-a-new-open-microsoft-store-on-windows-11/

Do you have something in the works

+ No.

and might you be able to give us a date for this?

+ DXLab applications are in one of 3 states: "not imminent", "imminent", and "publicly released". "Imminent" means "in the hands of one or more users". Support for "Mode S" is "not imminent".

g4wjs

On 26/07/2021 19:32, Charlie via groups.io wrote:
I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well).  I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.  Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app.  What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble.  Please comment. Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie
Hi Charlie,

I believe you can turn off S mode and have your system revert to a more standard WIndows Desktop version that allows you to install applications not only via the Windows Store, at your discretion.

Bill

G4WJS.

Charlie

Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions.  Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah).  That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S.  This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

Thanks again for your inputs; now I clearly have a decision to make.

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions. Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah). That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S. This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

+ Microsoft has a nasty habit of conflating security with inconvenience.

d_ziolkowski

Charlie-

Perhaps you could increase your security without going to extremes by making sure you have good , off machine backups, secure passwords, use a VPN, and use common sense what you download,what web sites you visit,, anti-virus/malware. Works for me so far...

Dan KC2STA

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 4:42 PM Charlie via groups.io <WA3KVN=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions.  Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah).  That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S.  This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

Thanks again for your inputs; now I clearly have a decision to make.

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T