Windows 10 and S mode

Charlie

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well).  I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.  Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app.  What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble.  Please comment.  Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie

Peter Laws / N5UWY

S Mode is a one way trip opposite of the Hotel California - you can
leave, but you can never check back in. Third question down here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 2:25 PM Charlie via groups.io
<WA3KVN=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well). I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active. Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app. What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble. Please comment. Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well). I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.

+ " Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

+ I don't know.

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app. What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble. Please comment.

+ Since you're the first user to ever mention "mode S" since Windows 10 was first released, and since you're the first user to express interest in the Microsoft Store, I doubt there'd be a noticeable impact, much less a "coup". My strategy is minimize dependencies on Microsoft beyond the Windows API and user interface, and the Jet database engine.

+ Furthermore, Microsoft is replacing the current Microsoft Store with something new:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/building-a-new-open-microsoft-store-on-windows-11/

Do you have something in the works

+ No.

and might you be able to give us a date for this?

+ DXLab applications are in one of 3 states: "not imminent", "imminent", and "publicly released". "Imminent" means "in the hands of one or more users". Support for "Mode S" is "not imminent".

Dave, AA6YQ

g4wjs

On 26/07/2021 19:32, Charlie via groups.io wrote:
I'm slowly realizing that Windows 10 Mode S is blocking my attempts to load this software (and others as well).  I would dearly like to load this software and keep mode S active.  Other than you guys at DXLab contacting Microsoft and getting the software listed in their Store app, is there any way I can run your software with Mode S active?

For what it's worth, to my knowledge, there is no approved, sophisticated, logging software listed in their Store app.  What a coup it might be if you all went to the trouble.  Please comment. Do you have something in the works and might you be able to give us a date for this?

--
WA3KVN, Charlie
Hi Charlie,

I believe you can turn off S mode and have your system revert to a more standard WIndows Desktop version that allows you to install applications not only via the Windows Store, at your discretion.

--

Bill

G4WJS.

Charlie

Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions.  Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah).  That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S.  This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

Thanks again for your inputs; now I clearly have a decision to make.

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions. Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah). That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S. This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

+ Microsoft has a nasty habit of conflating security with inconvenience.

Dave, AA6YQ

d_ziolkowski

Charlie-

Perhaps you could increase your security without going to extremes by making sure you have good , off machine backups, secure passwords, use a VPN, and use common sense what you download,what web sites you visit,, anti-virus/malware. Works for me so far...

Dan KC2STA

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 4:42 PM Charlie via groups.io <WA3KVN=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for all your prompt replies to my questions.  Mode S blocks all software downloads that aren't in the store; it blocks yours (boo) and all sorts of malfeasant software (yeah).  That makes Windows with mode S a little bit more secure than without Mode S.  This extra measure of security is what folks give up turning off Mode S, and what I would like to preserve.

Thanks again for your inputs; now I clearly have a decision to make.

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX