Why is DXKeeper changing some imported Grids?

Stewart Wilkinson

Hi,

I have just imported a couple of logs from this weekends RSGB VHF NFD and for 2 contacts I got a message about it changing the imported Grids.

I have no idea why - any clues ?

Change imported gridsquare for G3MEH from IO91QS to IO91vl
Change imported gridsquare for M0DXR from JO01BR to JO01bs

--
Stewart G0LGS

I have just imported a couple of logs from this weekends RSGB VHF NFD and for 2 contacts I got a message about it changing the imported Grids.

I have no idea why - any clues ?

Change imported gridsquare for G3MEH from IO91QS to IO91vl
Change imported gridsquare for M0DXR from JO01BR to JO01bs

+  "when importing an ADIF or tab-delimited record or logging an ADIF record received from another application, if a Latitude and Longitude are specified in the record or provided by a callbook lookup, replaces the record's Gridsquare with the computed Gridsquare unless the record's Gridsquare is 4 characters in length and matches the first 4 characters of the computed Gridsquare" - from the DXKeeper 16.6.5 release note in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/ReleaseNotes/1665.txt

Stewart Wilkinson

It has never done that before for G3MEH - why now ?

--
Stewart G0LGS

Stewart Wilkinson

So because the QRZ record for G3MEH is out of date - it is going to change it every-time I import a log with his callsign in it -

I AM NOT IMPRESSED  and I do NOT want it doing that !

--
Stewart G0LGS

So because the QRZ record for G3MEH is out of date - it is going to change it every-time I import a log with his callsign in it -

I AM NOT IMPRESSED  and I do NOT want it doing that !
+ Then disable the "Query callbook and DXCC database for missing items" option on the main window's "Import QSOs" tab.

Stewart Wilkinson

But it ois NOT a missing item !

--
Stewart G0LGS

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments bewlow
But it ois NOT a missing item !
+ Were the latitude and longitude specified in the QSO you imported?

Stewart Wilkinson

No:

<QSO_DATE:8>20220703<TIME_ON:4>1438<QSO_DATE_OFF:8>20220703<TIME_OFF:4>1438<BAND:2>2m<FREQ:7>144.216<STATION_CALLSIGN:7>G0LGS/P<OPERATOR:5>G0LGS<MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>IO81WU<ITUZ:2>27<CQZ:2>14<MODE:3>SSB<CALL:5>G3MEH<RST_SENT:2>58<STX:3>061<STX_STRING:3>061<RST_RCVD:2>56<SRX:3>012<SRX_STRING:3>012<GRIDSQUARE:6>IO91QS<TX_PWR:2>10<QSO_PTS:3>104<QSO_COMPL:3>YES<EOR>

and

<QSO_DATE:8>20220702<TIME_ON:4>1433<QSO_DATE_OFF:8>20220702<TIME_OFF:4>1433<BAND:2>6m<FREQ:6>50.180<STATION_CALLSIGN:5>G0LGS<OPERATOR:5>G0LGS<MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>IO81WV<ITUZ:2>27<CQZ:2>14<MODE:3>SSB<CALL:5>M0DXR<RST_SENT:2>59<STX:3>004<STX_STRING:3>004<RST_RCVD:2>59<SRX:3>027<SRX_STRING:3>027<GRIDSQUARE:6>JO01BR<TX_PWR:3>100<QSO_PTS:3>156<QSO_COMPL:3>YES<EOR>

--
Stewart G0LGS

No:

+ If the imported record did not specify a latitude and longitude, and if the "Query callbook and DXCC database for missing items" option was enabled on the Main window's "Import QSOs" tab, then DXKeeper correctly obtained the latitude and longitude from the Callbook you specified on the Configuration window's Callbook tab, computed the grid square that contains that latitude and longitude, and compared the computed grid square to the imported grid square. Since the imported grid square was 6 characters in length and didn't match the computed grid square, the imported grid square was replaced. Had the imported grid square been 4 characters in length, and had those 4 characters matched the first 4 characters of the computed grid square, the imported grid square would not have been replaced.

de AA6YQ

Stewart Wilkinson

So what happens if other items are missing  i.e: name, place name etc.

If I untick the box you suggested it will fail to import those, but if I leave it ticked it replaces a perfectly good grid reference with a wrong one.

--
Stewart G0LGS

So what happens if other items are missing  i.e: name, place name etc.

If I untick the box you suggested it will fail to import those, but if I leave it ticked it replaces a perfectly good grid reference with a wrong one

+ if you provide me with a function that separates accurate callbook information from inaccurate callbook information, I will incorporate it.

Stewart Wilkinson

Edited

If I type a Grid into the log it is becasue that is the one I was given as part of the QSO - typcially a VHF or UHF contest QSO that gets logged by the contest logging program I happen to use for the given contest - the one I mostly use does NOT query any online log book or other external source to get missing information, so it does not put name, placename or any other information into into exported ADIF.

Surely it would be better to use the Grid given in the ADIF if there is one and use the Callbook one when there is none in the ADIF - or give us the option to decide if we want to use the one from the Callbook source without breaking the import of other data.

--
Stewart G0LGS

If I type a Grid into the log it is becasue that is the one I was given as part of the QSO - typcially a VHF or UHF contest QSO that gets logged by the contest logging program I happen to use for the given contest - the one I mostly use does NOT query any online log book or other external source to get missing information, so it does not put name, placename or any other information into into exported ADIF.

+ There is no way for DXKeeper to know whether the gridsquare specified in the QSO record came from an accurate source or a potentially inaccurate source - like a Callbook record or a previously logged QSO.

Surely it would be better to use the Grid given in the ADIF if there is one and use the Callbook one when there is none in the ADIF
+ I disagree, for the reason stated immediately above.

- or give us the option to decide if we want to use the one from the Callbook source without breaking the import of other data.

+ DXKeeper informs you when it imports a gridsquare other than the one specified in the QSO record. If you consider the imported grid square to be more accurate, you can restore it. In the two cases you cited, the first 4 characters of the gridsquare were unchanged, meaning there would be no adverse impact on VUCC or Maidenhead Squares award progress as a result of an inaccurate latitude and longitude in the Callbook record..

Stewart Wilkinson

At least give me the choice of wether I want to use the Grid from the Callbook  or the one from my Log - until a few days ago it used the one from my Log which was fine - now it changes it without asking me and I have to got back to each record and fix it.

--
Stewart G0LGS

Stewart Wilkinson

Edited

+ There is no way for DXKeeper to know whether the gridsquare specified in the QSO record came from an accurate source or a potentially inaccurate source - like a Callbook record or a previously logged QSO.

So allow me to STOP DXKeeper from using the wrong one !

--
Stewart G0LGS

Stewart Wilkinson

Edited

If my imported log is wrong then that is my fault and I can (should I wish) go back and fix it - at the moment it is using the wrong data from QRZ because it thinks that is better ! - NOT what I wanted to log.

--
Stewart G0LGS

If my imported log is wrong then that is my fault and I can (should I wish) go back and fix it - at the moment it is using the wrong data from QRZ because it thinks that is better ! - NOT what I wanted to log.

+ No, DXKeeper is using the latitude and longitude reported by the callbook you've selected because you configured DXKeeper to do so.

+ On the Configuration window's "Callbook" tab, do you have the QRZ panel's "Ignore geocoded grid squares" enabled? If not, consider enabling it, as doing so will eliminate a source of inaccurate location information.

Stewart Wilkinson

On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 10:33 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ On the Configuration window's "Callbook" tab, do you have the QRZ panel's "Ignore geocoded grid squares" enabled? If not, consider enabling it, as doing so will eliminate a source of inaccurate location information.
Yes that is already selected.

--
Stewart G0LGS

Brian D

"Stewart Wilkinson" <stewart.g0lgs@...> wrote:

+ There is no way for DXKeeper to know whether the gridsquare specified in
the QSO record came from an accurate source or a potentially inaccurate
source - like a Callbook record or a previously logged QSO.

So allow me to STOP DXKeeper from usign the wrong one !
I'm wondering how many of my grids have been changed, I do the same contests
as Stewart and import afterwards from ADIF with the grids from the contest
exchange which are teh ones I want to keep. If syncing LOTW QSLs gives teh
option, why not ADIF input as well.

--
Brian D
G3VGZ G8AOE G3T

I'm wondering how many of my grids have been changed, I do the same contests
as Stewart and import afterwards from ADIF with the grids from the contest
exchange which are teh ones I want to keep. If syncing LOTW QSLs gives teh
option, why not ADIF input as well.

+ If DXKeeper changes an imported grid, it notifies you of the change in the report it displays after the import operation completes. If no report was displayed, no changes were made.