Topics

"which enables DXKeeper to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:"

Jim McPhee

In the file:///C:/DXLab/DXKeeper/Help/Progress.htm page, there is a line that states”

For seven of these award families, DXKeeper provides Realtime Award Tracking (RAT) service, which enables SpotCollector to immediately identify active DX stations with whom a QSO would advance your award progress, and which enables DXKeeper to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:

This function is working perfectly, and has been for years,  with Spot Collector based on my settings for ARRL DX Century Club (DXCC). But I’ll be darned if I can figure out how to get DXKeeper to “to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:”, and I’ve being looking very carefully through the settings and the Help Files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

In the file:///C:/DXLab/DXKeeper/Help/Progress.htm page, there is a line that states”

For seven of these award families, DXKeeper provides Realtime Award Tracking (RAT) service, which enables SpotCollector <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector> to immediately identify active DX stations with whom a QSO would advance your award progress, and which enables DXKeeper to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:

This function is working perfectly, and has been for years, with Spot Collector based on my settings for ARRL DX Century Club (DXCC) <http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/> . But I’ll be darned if I can figure out how to get DXKeeper to “to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:”, and I’ve being looking very carefully through the settings and the Help Files.

+ On the Main window's QSL tab, set the "QSL Via" panel to cards or labels, and then click the "Add Needed" button; DXKeeper will populate the QSL Queue with each QSO whose confirmation would advance your award progress, as based on the objectives you've specified on the Configuration window's Awards tab. Load your printer with the appropriate media, and DXKeeper can then be directed to generate QSL cards or QSL labels requesting the needed confirmations, and envelopes or address labels to convey or route your outgoing QSL cards. For more information, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing>

Jim McPhee

Dave,

Thank you for that explanation.

I was anticipating that if I had the "QSL Via" pane set to LoTW, that the main DXKeeper display would show active LoTW participants (based on the LoTW tab setting of "Maximum age of most recent LoTW upload to be considered "active" (months)", who had so far failed to QSL for a QSO that I had uploaded to LoTW. That would suggest to me that I should "ping" that LoTW participant via email, if they had uploaded to LoTW since our QSO took place.

Isn't that what SpotCollector is advising when a spot shows in the default blue font, with the yellow or light blue background? That I have a QSO logged with that station, but it has not been confirmed via LoTW?

73,

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

[...]

+ That's not correct. On the Main window's QSL tab, setting the "QSL Via" panel to LoTW simply configures the controls on that tab for submitting QSOs to LoTW, and syncing with LoTW. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing>

That would suggest to me that I should "ping" that LoTW participant via email, if they had uploaded to LoTW since our QSO took place.

+ In the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, depressing the CTRL key while clicking the LoTW button will filter the Log Page Display to contain all QSOs not yet confirmed via LoTW, even though your QSO partner has submitted QSOs to LoTW after the date of your QSO. These are QSOs partners that merit an email message, as they may have incorrectly submitted your QSO details to LoTW. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/FilterLog.htm#LotW>

Isn't that what SpotCollector is advising when a spot shows in the default blue font, with the yellow or light blue background? That I have a QSO logged with that station, but it has not been confirmed via LoTW?

+ That's not correct. Background colors in SpotCollector only indicate a station's participation in LoTW by having submitted QSOs within a timeframe you've specified; they do not indicate the presence of unconfirmed QSOs in your log. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/SpotDatabase.htm#Highlighting%20Spot%20Database%20Entries%20of%20stations%20known%20to%20participate%20in%20ARRL's%20Logbook%20of%20the%20World%20(LotW)>

Jim McPhee

Dave,

Thanks again for taking the time to provide that explanation.

If I may go back to the original question, because it appears I did not explain myself very well:

For seven of these award families, DXKeeper provides Realtime Award Tracking (RAT) service, which enables SpotCollector <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector>  to immediately identify active DX stations with whom a QSO would advance your award progress, and which enables DXKeeper to immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress:"

SpotCollector does do that "Realtime", without having to run a filtered report, by displaying "Unworked DX Band or Mode" in one colored font, and "Unconfirmed DX" in another colored font.

Is there a way to configure DXKeeper to, in Realtime,  "immediately identify QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress", similar to the way that SpotCollector does?

73,

 Jim McPhee

Placitas, NM

W5ABA

[...]

+ No. The CPU consumption required to do that in SpotCollector is well-justified, but there is no justification for doing that in DXKeeper.

+ In general, the reason you'd want to identify logged QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress is so you can generate outgoing QSL cards requesting those confirmation - an action you might take once a day if you're being aggressive about it. That's what the "Add Needed" function does.

+ If you'd like to filter the Log Page Display to show only QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress, you can take advantage of the fact that when adding a needed QSO to the "QSL Queue", the "Add Needed" function sets that QSO's Select item to 'Y'. So

1. In the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the X button to remove all filtering from the Log Page Display

2. On the Main window's "Check Progress" tab, click the "Clear Select" button at the bottom of the tab; this will clear the Select item in every logged QSO

3. Invoke the "Add Needed" function as previously suggested; if you're not going to be generating QSL cards, click the Clear button on the Main window's QSL tab

4. In the Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the Sel button; the Log Page Display will be filtered to contain only those QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress.

+ It should be noted that CQ DX Marathon does not require submission of confirmed QSOs. Thus while SpotCollector highlights active DX stations needed for CQ DX Marathon on the bands and modes you're pursuing, DXKeeper's "Add Needed" does not populate the QSL Queue with QSOs that you'll be submitting for CQ DX Marathon at the end of the year unless they are also needed for an award like DXCC or WAZ that requires confirmation.

Jim McPhee

Dave,

Fantastic explanation of the Realtime Award Tracking service design and implementation differences between SpotCollector and DXKeeper. Thank you again for taking your valuable time to help me understand why each works the way it does!

And for describing the steps to take to " filter the Log Page Display to show only QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress." I'm going to print this email out and put it in my "Quick Reference" folder.

For my first DXCC Award I've been focusing almost entirely on stations that participate in LoTW. I think if I can get some of the "DX LoTW participants" that I have unconfirmed QSOs with to confirm those QSOs, I might reach the required number quite soon.

73,

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

[...]

+ One more point to be made.

+ Say you have P5 unconfirmed, with 3 logged P5 QSOs, each with a different station. Which one will "Add Needed" choose to add to the QSL Queue? The answer is "the most recent one".

+ While that's the right default behavior, you may be aware that one of those P5 stations is a better QSLer than that other two. Or you may wish to send QSL cards to all three in order to improve your chances for a rapid response.

+ Before invoking "Add Needed", click the RAT button on DXKeeper's Main window's "Log QSO" tab to display the "Realtime Award Tracking" window. On this window's DXCC tab, scroll down to the P5 row, and double-click the W in the Entity column; DXKeeper will filter the Log Page Display to show your three P5 QSOs. Right-click each one, and select "Add to QSL Queue".

+ You can repeat this procedure this for specific entities, entity-bands, entity-modes, zones, grids, states, IOTA tags, or prefixes that merit an extra effort to obtain a confirmation. When done, click "Add Needed", and DXKeeper will populate the QSL Queue with entries for the other QSOs whose confirmation would advance your award progress.

+ As your award totals rise, the opportunities to request multiple confirmations in parallel will decrease to the point where clicking "Add Needed" is all that's necessary.

w6de

It is addictive. There is always the next award. First mixed-DXCC, then SSB-DXCC, then Digital, then CW-DXCC. Then your next award: DXCC by Band which leads you to 5-Band DXCC which puts you well on the way to the DXCC Challenge, which starts at 1000 QSLs. In the end it'll keep you on the air for several years.

Good hunting,
Dave, w6de

[...]

Dave (W6DE),

I can see how that can become the case. DXCC Challenge, at 1000 QSLs? I should live that long!!!!

Right now I only do SSB on 40, 20 15, and 10 meters. Those are the only bands I have antennas for. (Well, except VHF/UHF). So far I have two awards, the WAS, and a NM QSO Party award from last year, NM Mobile-Multi Operator, the honor of earning I share with a couple of buddies.

I depend so much on Commander, DXKeeper and SpotCollector, that I want to know everything I can about them so I can extract the maximum benefit from my use of them.

Dave (AA6YQ) is such a Saint when it comes to explaining the inner workings and benefits of his apps. If I were him I would have thrown in the towel thousands of times by now, saying: "What's wrong with these people?!?! How many times do I have to explain how to extract even the minimum performance from of my apps?!?! In addition, what are they paying for the apps and the support I provide? Zip, nada, zero, nothing!" I mean, those Help files alone must have taken years to create, and a similar amount of effort to maintain. Like I said, a Saint!

73,

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA