Topics

Which antivirus program works best with DXLab Suite

Steve, N5EP

Which (if any) antivirus/malware applications have been found to work the best with DXLab Suite, i.e., that both protect well and do not cause problems for DXLab Suite?

I finally got Norton Security Online to tolerate the DXLab Suite executables, but doing it required setting up scan exclusions for numerous exe, dll, and other files - several dozen in all - which was quite a pain.  At the end of the year my ISP will no longer provide Norton free to subscribers, so I'm thinking of switching to something else, and it would be nice to avoid repeating the hassle if that is even possible.

Thanks.

Steve, N5EP

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Which (if any) antivirus/malware applications have been found to work the best with DXLab Suite, i.e., that both protect well and do not cause problems for DXLab Suite?

I finally got Norton Security Online to tolerate the DXLab Suite executables, but doing it required setting up scan exclusions for numerous exe, dll, and other files - several dozen in all - which was quite a pain. At the end of the year my ISP will no longer provide Norton free to subscribers, so I'm thinking of switching to something else, and it would be nice to avoid repeating the hassle if that is even possible.

+ I use the free version of AVG.

+ Occasionally, I direct MalwareBytes and SpytBot SD to scan my system; I do not leave MalwareBytes running in between scans.

Dave, AA6YQ

neil_zampella

I've been using AVG for years, no problems.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 11/22/2020 1:27 PM, swpub via groups.io wrote:
Which (if any) antivirus/malware applications have been found to work the best with DXLab Suite, i.e., that both protect well and do not cause problems for DXLab Suite?

I finally got Norton Security Online to tolerate the DXLab Suite executables, but doing it required setting up scan exclusions for numerous exe, dll, and other files - several dozen in all - which was quite a pain.  At the end of the year my ISP will no longer provide Norton free to subscribers, so I'm thinking of switching to something else, and it would be nice to avoid repeating the hassle if that is even possible.

Thanks.

Steve, N5EP

BILL KENNAMER

I use Bitcefender. If it blocks something, it will tell you, and it can be switched on, at which point you won’t have a further problem. 

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 1:27 PM, swpub via groups.io <swpub@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Steve, N5EP

Jackson McNees

Steve,

My computer had a hardware failure, so took to shop.  Talked to them about their experience with systems brought in that had virus problems.  The recommended using Windows Defender that comes with Windows.  That is what I have been using, it is free, and have had no problem interaction with DXLab.

Jack, K4IJQ

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of swpub via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2020 2:28 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Which antivirus program works best with DXLab Suite

Thanks.

Steve, N5EP

Jeff WB9DAR

Hello
I’ve been using Windows Defender on 3 W10 PC’s for years without any problems.
FYI: unless Norton’s changed their method, you have to download their uninstall program first and uninstall your current Norton’s package before installing a new version.  
-- I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m mistaken. 
73 Jeff WB9DAR

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:21 AM Jeff WB9DAR <jeff5544@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello
I haven't been following this thread ... but that won't stop me from
commenting! :-D

I, too, have been using Windows built-in "Defender" for years and it's
caught the occasional bad actor and removed them without issue.
Occasionally, I have to mark a DXLab Suite component as an acceptable
risk, it doesn't seem obtrusive in any way.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Living at the bottom end of Africa in a Third World country, and dealing in the PC industry, I have encountered a LOT of virus activity over the past few years. Ransomware viruses are RIFE in this part of the world, malware and Trojans are commonplace and GOOD AntiVirus protection is a NECESSITY for anyone spending any amount of time online. 3 of my customers lost ALL their data due to Ransomware - simply because the felt "it won't happen to me" and ignored my advice to protect their systems and back up essential files.

Whilst Cloud Backup is a good option for some, it (like any backup system) relies on your data NOT having been compromised - and requires a GOOD internet connection ... here DECENT broadband (fibre) is only available in a limited area so far, and data costs are very high (4th highest cost per Gb in the World still!)... as a result, protecting a system against unwanted activity is ESSENTIAL. For several years I used Avast Free AntiVirus, until about 8 years ago when a nasty virus literally passed straight through it's checking and took out my system. This prompted me to start checking out PROPER solutions... as a Computer Dealer I had access to trial versions of Kaspersky, BitDefender, Norton and several others... research and testing also led me to abandon Microsoft Security Esssentials (remember that one??), AVG Free, Avast Free, Panda and various others. I did find that both Kaspersky and BitDefender caused my system to slow down drastically, and were resource-hungry. All my research kept highlighting one major issue though - "in the wild" detection, commonly referred to as "Day Zero".... one name kept coming up in this regard - ESET. I registered as a Dealer with our local office of ESET, and received demo software to try... and have never looked back. I use ESET Internet Security on my main PC, and NOD32 on my Admin PC and my laptop. I have not experienced any performance issues at all, and happily market the ESET products to my customers, not one of them suffering any issues since. ESET is very proud of it's record during the annual test where "in the wild" viruses are tested against various products - for 10 years in a row it has detected and blocked this effort, the ONLY product to achieve this.

On the subject of Windows Defender (the new kid on the block) - it is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH for African conditions!! 2 of my 3 customers hit by Ransomware attacks were relying on Windows Defender - it failed dismally. It's record with False Positives is very poor, and I have found that even when installing another product it refuses to deactivate fully, still trying to interfere with operation. As a result I now deactivate it in Group Policy settings - and find my systems work much smoother.

As I was told at a Sophos presentation many years ago - with AntiVirus you Get What You Pay For!! My nephew (highly qualified in network security, in the city of Durban) tells me that for networks of less than 500 users ESET is their product of choice... for bigger networks they use a product called Carbon Black, which is a very high-end product!

Please note that these comments are based on experiences here in Africa - for years my favourite line was "There are 2 types of computer users, those that back up and those that WISHED they had backed up!".... nowadays it has changed to "those that have good AntiVirus, and those that WISHED they did! Ransomware, Phishing and other malignant attacks may not be so rife in First World countries yet (I receive at LEAST 25-30 emails A DAY that get blocked!) but once their "marks" here dry up they are bound to switch their attention elsewhere... once Ransomware hits it is too late!

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ
KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa
EPC#0558 DMC#1690 30MDG#4081
DXCC HONOR ROLL (332/340)

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Laws / N5UWY
Sent: Monday, 23 November 2020 19:31
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Which antivirus program works best with DXLab Suite

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:21 AM Jeff WB9DAR <jeff5544@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello
I haven't been following this thread ... but that won't stop me from commenting! :-D

I, too, have been using Windows built-in "Defender" for years and it's caught the occasional bad actor and removed them without issue.
Occasionally, I have to mark a DXLab Suite component as an acceptable risk, it doesn't seem obtrusive in any way.

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Living at the bottom end of Africa in a Third World country, and dealing in the PC industry, I have encountered a LOT of virus activity over the past few years. Ransomware viruses are RIFE in this part of the world, malware and Trojans are commonplace and GOOD AntiVirus protection is a NECESSITY for anyone spending any amount of time online. 3 of my customers lost ALL their data due to Ransomware - simply because the felt "it won't happen to me" and ignored my advice to protect their systems and back up essential files.

Whilst Cloud Backup is a good option for some, it (like any backup system) relies on your data NOT having been compromised - and requires a GOOD internet connection ... here DECENT broadband (fibre) is only available in a limited area so far, and data costs are very high (4th highest cost per Gb in the World still!)... as a result, protecting a system against unwanted activity is ESSENTIAL. For several years I used Avast Free AntiVirus, until about 8 years ago when a nasty virus literally passed straight through it's checking and took out my system. This prompted me to start checking out PROPER solutions... as a Computer Dealer I had access to trial versions of Kaspersky, BitDefender, Norton and several others... research and testing also led me to abandon Microsoft Security Esssentials (remember that one??), AVG Free, Avast Free, Panda and various others. I did find that both Kaspersky and BitDefender caused my system to slow down drastically, and were resource-hungry. All my research kept highlighting one major issue though - "in the wild" detection, commonly referred to as "Day Zero".... one name kept coming up in this regard - ESET. I registered as a Dealer with our local office of ESET, and received demo software to try... and have never looked back. I use ESET Internet Security on my main PC, and NOD32 on my Admin PC and my laptop. I have not experienced any performance issues at all, and happily market the ESET products to my customers, not one of them suffering any issues since. ESET is very proud of it's record during the annual test where "in the wild" viruses are tested against various products - for 10 years in a row it has detected and blocked this effort, the ONLY product to achieve this.

On the subject of Windows Defender (the new kid on the block) - it is simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH for African conditions!! 2 of my 3 customers hit by Ransomware attacks were relying on Windows Defender - it failed dismally. It's record with False Positives is very poor, and I have found that even when installing another product it refuses to deactivate fully, still trying to interfere with operation. As a result I now deactivate it in Group Policy settings - and find my systems work much smoother.

As I was told at a Sophos presentation many years ago - with AntiVirus you Get What You Pay For!! My nephew (highly qualified in network security, in the city of Durban) tells me that for networks of less than 500 users ESET is their product of choice... for bigger networks they use a product called Carbon Black, which is a very high-end product!

Please note that these comments are based on experiences here in Africa - for years my favourite line was "There are 2 types of computer users, those that back up and those that WISHED they had backed up!".... nowadays it has changed to "those that have good AntiVirus, and those that WISHED they did! Ransomware, Phishing and other malignant attacks may not be so rife in First World countries yet (I receive at LEAST 25-30 emails A DAY that get blocked!) but once their "marks" here dry up they are bound to switch their attention elsewhere... once Ransomware hits it is too late!

+ Many thanks, Barry! 

+ Can you explain how eSet protects against Ransomware?

Dave, AA6YQ