Topics

Where is FD section supposed to go, and why doesn't it get logged from WSJT-X

Derek Chauran

I'm pretty confused about using DXKeeper for FD. Using WSJT-X/JTAlert/DXKeeper, I am not sure where in DXKEEPER I should be putting the section info, and it doesn't seem to get logged anywhere when using JTAlert. Given that it's painfully slow to edit entries in DXKeeper, I am very worried that I will have to go back and hand edit them all.

tnx 73
af7ux

I'm pretty confused about using DXKeeper for FD. Using WSJT-X/JTAlert/DXKeeper, I am not sure where in DXKEEPER I should be putting the section info, and it doesn't seem to get logged anywhere when using JTAlert.

+ When you log QSOs via JTAlert, DXKeeper records the information it receives from JTAlert.

Given that it's painfully slow to edit entries in DXKeeper, I am very worried that I will have to go back and hand edit them all.

+ It's painfully slow to edit entries in DXKeeper? You could insert your section in to the RX# item of ten thousand logged Field Day QSOs in ten seconds:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOModifying>

+ For Field Day QSOs logged from DXKeeper, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ARRLFieldDay>

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 28/06/2020 7:09 am, Derek Chauran wrote:
it doesn't seem to get logged anywhere when using JTAlert

Have you enabled the logging of Contest Exchanges in JTAlert?
You need to enable the "Log WSJT-X Contest Exchanges" option in the JTAlert Settings, Logging section. You will need to scroll the "Logging Options" check-boxes display down to reveal the checkbox for this option, it is 4th from the bottom.

Also, WSJT-X needs to be in Contest mode AND you have to use Tab 1.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Derek Chauran

Thanks, I have seen the info on modifying QSOs, but each QSO for FD has a different combination of class and section, so I can't really bulk edit them, I have to go 1 at a time.

I have also read the info on logging for FD which doesn't have a suggestion as to where to store the FD specific info (again, I like my logs to be accurate and consistent. When I enable contest mode, the second I enter the call and hit tab it auto populates everything, without the info I need for the contest (my tx entered in the contest info doesn't seem to go anywhere) saves the QSO, and starts a new log. I then have to delete the new log, unlock the QSO for editing and enter the data I was trying to capture, or remember  that the workflow is different, don't hit tab. Except if i want the time logged accurately (I'm anal about my logs) I have to note that time, enter the call, enter the exchange, then go back to the call, hit tab or it won't let me enter the time, go back and delete the new log it auto creates, and then edit the old log time to the correct time.

As far as  I can tell, WSJT-X and JTAlert are sending the info 3 times, and 1 of those 3 contains the full info, and that doesn't get logged anywhere:

Thanks,
Derek

Derek Chauran

Aha, that may be the missing key, I will try and get back to you!

Derek Chauran

Thanks Laurie! That did the trick!

Thanks, I have seen the info on modifying QSOs, but each QSO for FD has a different combination of class and section, so I can't really bulk edit them, I have to go 1 at a time.

+ Your class and section don't change from one QSOs to the next.

+ Laurie VK3AMA responded with an explanation of how JT-Alert should be configured.

I have also read the info on logging for FD which doesn't have a suggestion as to where to store the FD specific info (again, I like my logs to be accurate and consistent.

+ As noted in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ARRLFieldDay>

+ the ARRL doesn't actual read the log files you submit, so you can log the information however you wish.

When I enable contest mode, the second I enter the call and hit tab it auto populates everything, without the info I need for the contest (my tx entered in the contest info doesn't seem to go anywhere) saves the QSO, and starts a new log. I then have to delete the new log, unlock the QSO for editing and enter the data I was trying to capture, or remember that the workflow is different, don't hit tab. Except if i want the time logged accurately (I'm anal about my logs) I have to note that time, enter the call, enter the exchange, then go back to the call, hit tab or it won't let me enter the time, go back and delete the new log it auto creates, and then edit the old log time to the correct time.

+ To which application does the description above apply?

+ DXKeeper's support for logging contest QSOs is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm>

+ WinWarbler's is here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/winwarbler/Help/ContestSettings.htm>

+ I just posted my experience using WSJT-X to log Field Day QSOS:

<https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/194716>

As far as I can tell, WSJT-X and JTAlert are sending the info 3 times, and 1 of those 3 contains the full info, and that doesn't get logged anywhere:

+ Try configuring JT-Alert as Laurie VK3AMA suggested.

Derek Chauran

Hi Dave - Laurie's suggestion did the trick with WSJT-X and JTAlert.

Regarding the manual logging, if I log in DXKeeper, I get the contest mode issue, where as soon as I hit tab from the call sign it saves the log and starts a new log. Even more problematic, is that it defaults to the last info logged, so if I switch from FT-8 20m to FM 2m, I enter a call sign, hit tab, it then auto populates with the FT-80 20m info, saves the log, and starts a new log. I do have callbook lookup enabled, and it does the callbook lookup. Does that trigger the save?

Dave AA6YQ

Regarding the manual logging, if I log in DXKeeper, I get the contest mode issue, where as soon as I hit tab from the call sign it saves the log and starts a new log.

+ That's correct behavior for logging from the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab with the "Run-mode" option enabled on the Configuration window's General tab:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Configuration.htm#Run-mode%20checkbox>

+ You can disable "Run-mode" after enabling "Contest mode".

+ You might also consider logging from DXKeeper's Capture window:

Even more problematic, is that it defaults to the last info logged , so if I switch from FT-8 20m to FM 2m, I enter a call sign, hit tab, it then auto populates with the FT-80 20m info, saves the log, and starts a new log

+ Sounds like you have "Optimize for realtime QSO entry" disabled on the Configuration window's General tab:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Configuration.htm#Automatically%20set%20QSO%20date%20&%20time>

I do have callbook lookup enabled, and it does the callbook lookup. Does that trigger the save?

+ No, enabling "Run-mode" is what causes DXKeeper to record the QSO and automatically create an empty new QSO. It's quite handy when you're on the pointy end of a pileup.

+ You might consider using DXKeeper's Capture window to record new QSOs:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogNewCapture.htm>

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Logging>

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOCapture>

Derek Chauran

Thanks Dave - My point about updating QSOs was that I was seeing neither mine nor the other stations section logged, but that is working now, thanks to Laurie's suggestion, so I only need to hand edit a few to add the other station's info.

I did have optimize for real-time entry enabled, but not run mode. After disabling that it no longer automatically creates a new log. I do see where this is desirable for being the target of a pileup.

I also have tried using capture mode, but even with contest mode enabled, it doesn't present me with the tx info and rx info boxes that are part of the contest section in the main window.

At any rate, things are working for me now. I appreciate the help with all of this. There is a lot to this suite of applications, and I feel like I've only really started to scratch the surface.

Thanks,
Derek

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxkeeper%2FHelp%2FConfiguration.htm%23Run-mode%2520checkbox&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C545183cdd1844880e03508d81af0b1e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637288968356670714&amp;sdata=s4o7LQxB48B2NZvYorHGVvOXIWE6falIoWAMpuLQqqc%3D&amp;reserved=0>

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxkeeper%2FHelp%2FConfiguration.htm%23Automatically%2520set%2520QSO%2520date%2520%26%2520time&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C545183cdd1844880e03508d81af0b1e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637288968356670714&amp;sdata=%2FjHjAKFnf2diZ4vJxZgT9%2Brfc%2BONwgx%2BColVDDlhSwM%3D&amp;reserved=0>

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxkeeper%2FHelp%2FLogNewCapture.htm&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C545183cdd1844880e03508d81af0b1e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637288968356670714&amp;sdata=kZoVyb%2BJBPIfhDRTdXyFY9R46jH1n3GsNkZIhGI4eqQ%3D&amp;reserved=0>

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxlabwiki%2FLogging&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C545183cdd1844880e03508d81af0b1e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637288968356670714&amp;sdata=WM80Z5TQkkPJiRXjPR42ZruUZZabtNZw6EBucCWkM1w%3D&amp;reserved=0>

<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dxlabsuite.com%2Fdxlabwiki%2FQSOCapture&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C545183cdd1844880e03508d81af0b1e3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637288968356670714&amp;sdata=SLVJXrNW%2FuasNt1H6RY4thweZlEuf4T8RPHDQ0WgYJ4%3D&amp;reserved=0>

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:34 PM, Derek Chauran wrote:

Thanks Dave - My point about updating QSOs was that I was seeing neither mine nor the other stations section logged, but that is working now, thanks to Laurie's suggestion, so I only need to hand edit a few to add the other station's info.

I did have optimize for real-time entry enabled, but not run mode. After disabling that it no longer automatically creates a new log. I do see where this is desirable for being the target of a pileup.

I also have tried using capture mode, but even with contest mode enabled, it doesn't present me with the tx info and rx info boxes that are part of the contest section in the main window.

+ The "tx info" and "rx info" items are typically not used. As is described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm>

+ The "rx #" and "tx #" items are used to capture the exchanges in each logged QSO. Both of these items are accessible in the Capture window.