what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?


David Reed
 

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV


F.R. Ashley
 

I use WSJT-X with JT Alert, and it works perfectly with DXKeeper.


73 Buddy WB4M

On 10/18/2021 01:31 PM, David Reed wrote:
Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV





Bill McGowan
 

I agree with Buddy. WSJT-X and JT Alert are a tough combo to beat and they work perfectly with DXKEEPER!!
GL and 73
Bill - KC1EO

On Oct 18, 2021, at 11:40 AM, F.R. Ashley <gdadx2@centurylink.net> wrote:

I use WSJT-X with JT Alert, and it works perfectly with DXKeeper.


73 Buddy WB4M

On 10/18/2021 01:31 PM, David Reed wrote:
Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV








Pete W1RM
 

I use N1MM for logging and the N1MM Gateway to automatically port contacts to DXK. I use N1MM because I do contesting. And the whole system is seamless.


Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM@Comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Reed
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 1:31 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV


Pete W1RM
 

Oh I should have mentioned that I use WSJT-X for my software along with N1MM+ and DXK.


Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM@Comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Reed
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 1:31 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV


David Reed
 

Thanks all; will proceed!

73 de Dave, W5SV

On 18-Oct-21 17:47, Bill McGowan wrote:
I agree with Buddy. WSJT-X and JT Alert are a tough combo to beat and they work perfectly with DXKEEPER!!
GL and 73
Bill - KC1EO
On Oct 18, 2021, at 11:40 AM, F.R. Ashley <gdadx2@centurylink.net> wrote:

I use WSJT-X with JT Alert, and it works perfectly with DXKeeper.


73 Buddy WB4M


w6de
 

While JT Alert works for interfacing WSJTX to DXLab; DXLab already has a direct interface to WSJTX.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect

The DXLab WIKI also has an article about interfacing JT Alert with WSJTX and DXlab.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert
This article's first part provides a good overview of setting up WSJTX.

Having used both approaches, I like the DXLab direct approach better. You don't have to deal with yet another set of Commands and Settings that JT Alert will require you to set up.

73,
Dave, w6de

I'd strongly recommend you set up

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Reed via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 17:31
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is
which software would you recommend if you were looking for great
interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously
consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking
signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 2021-10-18 2:07 PM, w6de wrote:
Having used both approaches, I like the DXLab direct approach better.
I prefer the WSJTX -> JTAlert -> DXKeeper approach as JTAlert provides
an entirely separate filter/alerting layer. With SpotCollector one
gets generic "Digital" alerts for each band (if enabled) and an "all
band" alert for the selected data mode. JTAlert, if configured, will
provide alerts for individual data mode (those supported by WSJTX) on
each band.

For example, I'm trying to do eight band DXCC all FT8 (80-10) but
SpotCollector will not alert on a new FT8 "country" on any band that
is already "verified" on RTTY/DIGITAL even though I've not worked or
confirmed that band on FT8.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-18 2:07 PM, w6de wrote:
While JT Alert works for interfacing WSJTX to DXLab; DXLab already has a direct interface to WSJTX.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect
The DXLab WIKI also has an article about interfacing JT Alert with WSJTX and DXlab.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert
This article's first part provides a good overview of setting up WSJTX.
Having used both approaches, I like the DXLab direct approach better. You don't have to deal with yet another set of Commands and Settings that JT Alert will require you to set up.
73,
Dave, w6de
I'd strongly recommend you set up
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Reed via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 17:31
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?
Greetings all!
I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is
which software would you recommend if you were looking for great
interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?
Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously
consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking
signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.
Thanks for your suggestions.
73 de Dave, W5SV


Gilbert Baron W0MN
 

I could not agree more. With Dave. Another super feature of DXLabs.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of w6de
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 13:08
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

While JT Alert works for interfacing WSJTX to DXLab; DXLab already has a direct interface to WSJTX.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect

The DXLab WIKI also has an article about interfacing JT Alert with WSJTX and DXlab.
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert
This article's first part provides a good overview of setting up WSJTX.

Having used both approaches, I like the DXLab direct approach better. You don't have to deal with yet another set of Commands and Settings that JT Alert will require you to set up.

73,
Dave, w6de

I'd strongly recommend you set up
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Reed via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 17:31
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is which software would you recommend if you were looking for great interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV















--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop


William Cox
 

I've been using DXLab Commander with WSJT-X and GridTracker. It has worked well for me.


On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 1:31 PM David Reed <w5sv.dave@...> wrote:
Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is
which software would you recommend if you were looking for great
interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously
consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking
signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV







Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

I prefer the WSJTX -> JTAlert -> DXKeeper approach as JTAlert provides an entirely separate filter/alerting layer. With SpotCollector one gets generic "Digital" alerts for each band (if enabled) and an "all band" alert for the selected data mode. JTAlert, if configured, will provide alerts for individual data mode (those supported by WSJTX) on each band.

For example, I'm trying to do eight band DXCC all FT8 (80-10) but SpotCollector will not alert on a new FT8 "country" on any band that is already "verified" on RTTY/DIGITAL even though I've not worked or confirmed that band on FT8.

+ Yes, it will! In the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, se the "User-specified digital mode family" selector to FT8, and then check the FT8 box below it. Direct DXKeeper to "Recompute" (bottom of Main window's "Check Progress" tab), and then Direct SpotCollector to Recompute ("Spot Database" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window).

+ The primary advantages of DXLab's direct interoperation with WSJT-X are

- no need to manually re-synchronize an external application's independent award tracking mechanism after logging QSOs in non-K1JT modes, (e.g. CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK) or after receiving confirmations (this was the primary driver for providing the direct interoperation)

- callsigns in WSJT-X are individually color-coded using the same color scheme employed throughout DXLab:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/SpotCollector/WSJTX.jpg

- Spot Database entries for stations operating in K1JT modes contain "most recent SNR", "minimum SNR", and "maximum SNR" items:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/SpotCollector/WSJTXSpotDatabaseEntries.jpg

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

+ Yes, it will! In the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, se the "User-specified digital mode family" selector to FT8, and then check the FT8 box below it. Direct DXKeeper to "Recompute" (bottom of Main window's "Check Progress" tab), and then Direct SpotCollector to Recompute ("Spot Database" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window).
That's *not* the way it operates for me. SpotCollector operates like
it does with any other band/mode ... If I wave confirmed an entity on
*any* band in FT8 *and* have confirmed that entity on *any mode* on
that band, SC does not alert to the new band/mode entity (e.g.,
the Quixote Quest/"DX Hog" minimization).

However, with JTAlert I can track progress on FT8, FT4, JT65, FST4,
etc. all at the same time.

- callsigns in WSJT-X are individually color-coded using the same
color scheme employed throughout DXLab:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/SpotCollector/WSJTX.jpg
WSJTX provides individually configurable,*independent* alerts for needed
entity, needed zone, needed grid, needed state (and Marathon) as opposed
to grouping all alerts under a single color.

- no need to manually re-synchronize an external application's independent award tracking mechanism after logging QSOs in non-K1JT modes, (e.g. CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK) or after receiving confirmations (this was the primary driver for providing the direct
interoperation)
Non-WSJTX modes are not an issue if one is using JTAlert to alert for
WSJTX modes. It does not impact SpotCollector's alerts.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-18 4:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I prefer the WSJTX -> JTAlert -> DXKeeper approach as JTAlert provides an entirely separate filter/alerting layer. With SpotCollector one gets generic "Digital" alerts for each band (if enabled) and an "all band" alert for the selected data mode. JTAlert, if configured, will provide alerts for individual data mode (those supported by WSJTX) on each band.
For example, I'm trying to do eight band DXCC all FT8 (80-10) but SpotCollector will not alert on a new FT8 "country" on any band that is already "verified" on RTTY/DIGITAL even though I've not worked or confirmed that band on FT8.
+ Yes, it will! In the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, se the "User-specified digital mode family" selector to FT8, and then check the FT8 box below it. Direct DXKeeper to "Recompute" (bottom of Main window's "Check Progress" tab), and then Direct SpotCollector to Recompute ("Spot Database" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window).
+ The primary advantages of DXLab's direct interoperation with WSJT-X are
- no need to manually re-synchronize an external application's independent award tracking mechanism after logging QSOs in non-K1JT modes, (e.g. CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK) or after receiving confirmations (this was the primary driver for providing the direct interoperation)
- callsigns in WSJT-X are individually color-coded using the same color scheme employed throughout DXLab:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/SpotCollector/WSJTX.jpg
- Spot Database entries for stations operating in K1JT modes contain "most recent SNR", "minimum SNR", and "maximum SNR" items:
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/SpotCollector/WSJTXSpotDatabaseEntries.jpg
73,
Dave, AA6YQ


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
+ Yes, it will! In the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, set the "User-specified digital mode family" selector to FT8, and then check the FT8 box below it. Direct DXKeeper to "Recompute" (bottom of Main window's "Check Progress" tab), and then Direct SpotCollector to Recompute ("Spot Database" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window).
That's *not* the way it operates for me. SpotCollector operates like
it does with any other band/mode ... If I wave confirmed an entity on
*any* band in FT8 *and* have confirmed that entity on *any mode* on
that band, SC does not alert to the new band/mode entity (e.g.,
the Quixote Quest/"DX Hog" minimization).

+ Setting the "User-specified digital mode family" to FT8 will highlight any active station in an entity not yet worked/confirmed via FT8 on any band. If you're pursuing the "Quixote Quest" in FT8 (every entity in FT8 on every band), I misunderstood.

 

However, with JTAlert I can track progress on FT8, FT4, JT65, FST4,
etc. all at the same time.
WSJTX provides individually configurable,*independent* alerts for needed
entity, needed zone, needed grid, needed state (and Marathon) as opposed
to grouping all alerts under a single color.

+ The "Need" column in SpotCollector indicates why an active station is needed: D for DXCC, G for VUCC, S for WAS, Z for WAZ, P for WPX. This handles the case where an active station is needed for more than one award.

- no need to manually re-synchronize an external application's independent award tracking mechanism after logging QSOs in non-K1JT modes, (e.g. CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK) or after receiving confirmations (this was the primary driver for providing the direct
interoperation)
Non-WSJTX modes are not an issue if one is using JTAlert to alert for
WSJTX modes. It does not impact SpotCollector's alerts

+ If you're pursuing DXCC and work a new entity in CW, you must direct JTAlert to rescan your log, or it will erroneously flag active stations in that entity as "needed for DXCC".

      73,

             Dave, AA6YQ

 

 


w6de
 

Trying to figure how to initiate three programs at once is a tall order. Set up Commander and WSJTX and then choose a logging approach.
--Configuring SpotCollector directly interfacing to WSJTX, is a straight forward follow the directions--no decisions about what this setting means and what choices do I make.
--Configuring JT Alert for the experienced user may be easy, but to the new user, especially new to WSJTX modes, requires decision making that may not be familiar. Not to mention where the heck to I make this setting.

I'd try to keep the learning load down for Dave, W5SV and leave JT Alert to figure out later when Dave, W5SV chooses to make a Quixote DX chase [Quixote DX chase= work everything/mode, everywhere/band].

73,
Dave, w6de

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Reed via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 17:31
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

Greetings all!

I am considering getting my feet wet in the FT8 mode; my question is
which software would you recommend if you were looking for great
interoperability with the DXLab suite of programs?

Additionally, are there other digital modes that I should seriously
consider? I am in an antenna restricted community, and am thinking
signal modes that tolerate weak signals would work best for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

73 de Dave, W5SV


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

+ Setting the "User-specified digital mode family" to FT8 will
highlight any active station in an entity not yet worked/confirmed
via FT8 on any band. If you're pursuing the "Quixote Quest" in FT8
(every entity in FT8 on every band), I misunderstood.
Not "Quixote Quest" but FT8 DXCC on each HF band (80-10M). One could
call that a "mini-Quixote Quest" <G>.

+ If you're pursuing DXCC and work a new entity in CW, you must
direct JTAlert to rescan your log, or it will erroneously flag active
stations in that entity as "needed for DXCC".
Yes, if your JTAlert "goals" are limited to mixed mode, any band,
that is the case. However, if your goals are focused on FT8 or
WSJTX modes working a new entity on CW will not impact them.

The other thing JTAlert can track is all of the "JT Mode" endorsements
for WAS. SpotCollector only tracks the basic "Digital" award and does
not even distinguish between "Digital" (Rule 9d) and "RTTY" (Rule 9e)
which are separate awards!
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Rules_August_2021.pdf>

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-18 6:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
+ Yes, it will! In the "DXCC Bands & Modes" panel on the Awards
tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, set the "User-specified
digital mode family" selector to FT8, and then check the FT8 box
below it. Direct DXKeeper to "Recompute" (bottom of Main
window's "Check Progress" tab), and then Direct SpotCollector to
Recompute ("Spot Database" tab of SpotCollector's Configuration
window).
That's *not* the way it operates for me. SpotCollector operates like
it does with any other band/mode ... If I wave confirmed an entity on
*any* band in FT8 *and* have confirmed that entity on *any mode* on
that band, SC does not alert to the new band/mode entity (e.g.,
the Quixote Quest/"DX Hog" minimization).
+ Setting the "User-specified digital mode family" to FT8 will highlight any active station in an entity not yet worked/confirmed via FT8 on any band. If you're pursuing the "Quixote Quest" in FT8 (every entity in FT8 on every band), I misunderstood.
However, with JTAlert I can track progress on FT8, FT4, JT65, FST4,
etc. all at the same time.
WSJTX provides individually configurable,*independent* alerts for needed
entity, needed zone, needed grid, needed state (and Marathon) as opposed
to grouping all alerts under a single color.
+ The "Need" column in SpotCollector indicates why an active station is needed: D for DXCC, G for VUCC, S for WAS, Z for WAZ, P for WPX. This handles the case where an active station is needed for more than one award.
- no need to manually re-synchronize an external application's
independent award tracking mechanism after logging QSOs in
non-K1JT modes, (e.g. CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK) or after receiving
confirmations (this was the primary driver for providing the direct
interoperation)
Non-WSJTX modes are not an issue if one is using JTAlert to alert for
WSJTX modes. It does not impact SpotCollector's alerts
+ If you're pursuing DXCC and work a new entity in CW, you must direct JTAlert to rescan your log, or it will erroneously flag active stations in that entity as "needed for DXCC".
      73,
             Dave, AA6YQ


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
The other thing JTAlert can track is all of the "JT Mode" endorsements
for WAS. SpotCollector only tracks the basic "Digital" award and does
not even distinguish between "Digital" (Rule 9d) and "RTTY" (Rule 9e)
which are separate awards!
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Rules_August_2021.pdf>

+ Yes, are quite a few WAS endorsements still "on the list". However, there's been little interest expressed here, so their priority has remain low.

        73,

                Dave, AA6YQ


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 19/10/2021 10:42 am, w6de wrote:
Trying to figure how to initiate three programs at once is a tall order.  Set up Commander and WSJTX and then choose a logging approach.  
--Configuring SpotCollector directly interfacing to WSJTX, is a straight forward follow the directions--no decisions about what this setting means and what choices do I make. 
--Configuring JT Alert for the experienced user may be easy, but to the new user, especially new to WSJTX modes, requires decision making that may not be familiar.  Not to mention where the heck to I make this setting
Setting up SpotCollector to work with WSJTX is no different from JTAlert, both require a single item to be checked. Under SpotCollector it is a checkbox, under JTAlert it is a menu entry. Setting up WSJTX to work with both is identical, set the UDP Server Address and Port. In the case of SpotCollector is needs a unicast address, typically 127.0.0.1, and for JTAlert it is either a unicast address or a multicast address, the choice is the end-users. Both SpotCollector and JTAlert provide help instructions for correct setup to work with WSJTX. If the simple 4 step, with pictures (no lengthy walls of text) instructions provided by JTAlert are for the Experienced user, than IMHO, all is lost for the future of Ham Radio. if that is difficult.

de Laurie VK3AMA


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
Setting up SpotCollector to work with WSJTX is no different from JTAlert, both require a single item to be checked. Under SpotCollector it is a checkbox, under JTAlert it is a menu entry. Setting up WSJTX to work with both is identical, set the UDP Server Address and Port. In the case of SpotCollector is needs a unicast address, typically 127.0.0.1, and for JTAlert it is either a unicast address or a multicast address, the choice is the end-users. Both SpotCollector and JTAlert provide help instructions for correct setup to work with WSJTX. If the simple 4 step, with pictures (no lengthy walls of text) instructions provided by JTAlert are for the Experienced user, than IMHO, all is lost for the future of Ham Radio. if that is difficult.

+ Overviews and step-by-step instructions for both forms of DXLab-WSJTX inter-operation are accessible here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

+ My advice is for new K1JT-mode users to give each form a serious try-out, and then choose the one that best meets your needs. There's no "wrong answer".

          73,

              Dave, AA6YQ

 

 

 


Jamie WW3S
 

just my observations......I am NOT a FT* power user.....I use it to chase DX when they are new ones for me......when I first got into FT*, one of the locals, whose HF activity is ONLY FT*, told me I HAD to use JT Alert.....for me, its information overload, too busy...too much stuff, too many colors.....sometimes I thought I was going to get a seizure, from watching the screen......FT* sat on the back burner, until recently, when a couple of DXpeditions were bands I needed, so I fired up just WSJTX.....and I missed the logging bridge to DXKeeper.....I asked a question here a week or so ago, and Dave replied with the instructions to bridge Spotcollector.....I Love it !!!! not as busy as the other, not gettting info overload.....your mileage may vary, but it works better for me.....

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@...>
Sent: 10/18/2021 8:32:40 PM
Subject: Re: [DXLab] what FT8 software interoperates best with DXLabs suite?

+ AA6YQ comments below
Setting up SpotCollector to work with WSJTX is no different from JTAlert, both require a single item to be checked. Under SpotCollector it is a checkbox, under JTAlert it is a menu entry. Setting up WSJTX to work with both is identical, set the UDP Server Address and Port. In the case of SpotCollector is needs a unicast address, typically 127.0.0.1, and for JTAlert it is either a unicast address or a multicast address, the choice is the end-users. Both SpotCollector and JTAlert provide help instructions for correct setup to work with WSJTX. If the simple 4 step, with pictures (no lengthy walls of text) instructions provided by JTAlert are for the Experienced user, than IMHO, all is lost for the future of Ham Radio. if that is difficult.

+ Overviews and step-by-step instructions for both forms of DXLab-WSJTX inter-operation are accessible here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

+ My advice is for new K1JT-mode users to give each form a serious try-out, and then choose the one that best meets your needs. There's no "wrong answer".

          73,

              Dave, AA6YQ

 

 

 


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

+ Yes, are quite a few WAS endorsements still "on the list". However,
there's been little interest expressed here, so their priority has
remain low.
I don't so much care about WAS "Endorsement BINGO" but do think that
DXKeeper/SpotCollector should support the basic awards including RTTY
(rule 9e) in the same way it supports the other modes - Mixed (rule 9a),
Phone (9b), CW (9c), Digital (9d), and SSTV (9p).

I suppose the same argument could be made for 2190 Meters (9h), 630
Meters (9i) and 1296 MHz (9o).

BTW, <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Rules_August_2021.pdf>
makes *no mention* of "QRP" WAS - nor does LotW (although "Power
Endorsement" appears on the paper ARRL WAS Application Form
<www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Application_Form_August_2021.pdf>).
How does an award (endorsement) not permitted by the rules appear on
the application?

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-10-18 8:18 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
The other thing JTAlert can track is all of the "JT Mode" endorsements
for WAS. SpotCollector only tracks the basic "Digital" award and does
not even distinguish between "Digital" (Rule 9d) and "RTTY" (Rule 9e)
which are separate awards!
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Rules_August_2021.pdf
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards/WAS_Rules_August_2021.pdf>>
+ Yes, are quite a few WAS endorsements still "on the list". However, there's been little interest expressed here, so their priority has remain low.
        73,
                Dave, AA6YQ