Topics

What Computer Speed/Memory needed to fully and rapidly decode over 40 stations on a crowded band????

Hugh Valentine

When a band is crowded with greater than 40 stations to decode I experience a delay of a couple of seconds to fill the screen in JTDX Alert.
Is this a function of CPU Speed or memory?
What is the minimum Chip speed/memory necessary to speed this screen fill?  Or is INet speed the limiting factor here???

I5 chip on my computer/8GB memory.....Would a SSD Drive help?  Or do I need a new computer?

any insight would help steer me in the proper direction.....

Val
N4RJ

Email Service

I have an i3 w 16 GB RAM SSD drive. No delays with screen full of traces. Running W10.
73 jack AK7O

Sent from XFINITY Connect App

When a band is crowded with greater than 40 stations to decode I experience a delay of a couple of seconds to fill the screen in JTDX Alert.
Is this a function of CPU Speed or memory?
What is the minimum Chip speed/memory necessary to speed this screen fill?  Or is INet speed the limiting factor here???

I5 chip on my computer/8GB memory.....Would a SSD Drive help?  Or do I need a new computer?

any insight would help steer me in the proper direction.....

Val
N4RJ

Peter Laws

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 7:56 PM Email Service <jfriend31@...> wrote:

I have an i3 w 16 GB RAM SSD drive. No delays with screen full of traces. Running W10.
73 jack AK7O
Same config here (in an Intel NUC, which I really like) and have no
issues with FT8 (WAS on 30m/FT8 in 30 days :-)). I attribute any
delay to the software doing it's thing. I suppose a faster CPU would
make it go faster, but there is enough "think time" in the FT8 QSO
cycle that it hasn't been an issue.

Not sure I'd try it on a 90 MHz Pentium.

When a band is crowded with greater than 40 stations to decode I experience a delay of a couple of seconds to fill the screen in JTDX Alert.

+ I am not at all familiar with "JTDX Alert", but before considering hardware upgrades I suggest that you reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and re-assess performance. It performance has substantially improved, then one or more applications that Windows is starting automatically when booted "normally" is interfering with "JTDX Alert". The usual culprit is a misconfigured firewall or anti-malware application.

Is this a function of CPU Speed or memory?
What is the minimum Chip speed/memory necessary to speed this screen fill? Or is INet speed the limiting factor here???

I5 chip on my computer/8GB memory.....Would a SSD Drive help? Or do I need a new computer?

+ If performance doesn't change when Windows is in "Safe Mode with Networking", then I suggest that you run the Windows Task Manager while you are running your amateur radio applications. Sorting by "CPU %" and then by "Memory" will indicate whether your CPU is "too busy", or whether your applications are consuming more RAM than is available. Assuming you have open slots, adding RAM is usually the least expensive way to improve performance - but if the problem is that your CPU is too slow for the applications you're trying to run simultaneously, adding RAM may not help much.

ve3ki

This question has nothing to do with DXLab Suite. You'd probably be better off posing this question on the HamApps group.

That being said, on a busy band I think it is reasonable and normal to see it take a couple of seconds into the next receive period before all of the decoding and JTAlert processing is completed. There is a lot of heavy number-crunching involved in decoding these signals.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 07:49 PM, Hugh Valentine wrote:
When a band is crowded with greater than 40 stations to decode I experience a delay of a couple of seconds to fill the screen in JTDX Alert.
Is this a function of CPU Speed or memory?
What is the minimum Chip speed/memory necessary to speed this screen fill?  Or is INet speed the limiting factor here???

I5 chip on my computer/8GB memory.....Would a SSD Drive help?  Or do I need a new computer?

any insight would help steer me in the proper direction.....

Val
N4RJ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/04/2019 12:18 am, ve3ki wrote:
That being said, on a busy band I think it is reasonable and normal to see it take a couple of seconds into the next receive period before all of the decoding and JTAlert processing is completed. There is a lot of heavy number-crunching involved in decoding these signals.

73,
Rich VE3KI
Also, the OP mentioned JTDX which can be a real CPU hog if it hasn't been configured correctly. JTDX has an extended set of decoding options (compared to WSJT-X) in an effort to pull out more weak decodes. These additional decoding options  involving number of threads and cpu cores used, if not configured correctly for the PC hardware/software involved, can significantly impact performance to the detriment of the response times (time to deliver decodes) and excessive cpu load, made worse if on a very busy band like 40m & 20m where 40+ decodes per period are now common.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hugh Valentine

Thanks for the helpful advice and information.  Have a new 480GB SSD and more memory coming.

Val
N4RJ

Hugh Valentine

Will not work in Safe Mode w/Networking.  Cannot measure.
Val

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 05:04 PM, Hugh Valentine wrote:

Will not work in Safe Mode w/Networking.  Cannot measure.
+ Please provide additional context.